• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Nissin Asks Japanese Customers Which Foreign Cup Noodle Brand They Want to Sample

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hellfish

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 1:32 am Reply with quote
I had not idea ours was a exclusive Anime hyper Anime hyper Very interesting Anime hyper Anime hyper
AnimeLordLuis

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 6:42 am Reply with quote
I would love to try the spicy beef flavors, you can never have enough spice in your noodles. Very Happy
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 7:47 am Reply with quote
Predictably, I see the infamous local delicacy that is Pot Noodle failed to rank amongst the finalists.

Eric Stimson wrote:
Mazedaar Masala from India, which uses masala spice mix (chili, coriander, turmeric, etc.)

But a masala can contain anything! The only applicable condition is that a masala must consist of a mixture of spices, trivially enough.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 1:50 pm Reply with quote
They have to pick within the flavors Nissin pre-selected? There's way more variety than that! Or are these the finalists from initially being able to pick any flavor Nissin makes anywhere in the world?

Tenchi wrote:
You can get some of the Hong Kong Nissin cups in Canada, if you know where to look. (T&T supermarkets, for one. Some Loblaws also used to have them, but I haven't seen them there lately.)

And I can say that, living in the southwestern United States, both Cup Noodles and Instant Lunch come in Mexican and Tex-Mex flavors like the aforementioned spicy shrimp, chili lime, chicken tortilla, cheese (which seems to be cheddar with Tex-Mex spices), and carne asada.

Mr. Oshawott wrote:
I wonder if the wasabi within Germany's wasabi noodles is the real thing...

It's most likely horseradish. Authentic wasabi becomes stale in a matter of hours after processing and cannot be easily freeze-dried without losing its flavor, which is why some sushi places will buy wasabi in stalks and they process them in the restaurant to order.

Hellfish wrote:
I had not idea ours was a exclusive Anime hyper Anime hyper Very interesting Anime hyper Anime hyper

It's not. You've probably read the upper partof my post now, but that flavor, along with a bunch of others, is also sold in the United States.

I'm certain the United States also has a lot of other flavors associated with other countries in places with a large ethnic population from that country and imports a lot of them too.

Zin5ki wrote:
Predictably, I see the infamous local delicacy that is Pot Noodle failed to rank amongst the finalists.

Eric Stimson wrote:
Mazedaar Masala from India, which uses masala spice mix (chili, coriander, turmeric, etc.)

But a masala can contain anything! The only applicable condition is that a masala must consist of a mixture of spices, trivially enough.

General spice mixes from India seem to frequently get misinterpreted as something more specific. The mix simply known as "curry powder," for instance, was originally given as gifts to visitors from other countries, and those visitors mistook this specific mix as something Indians put on all of their curry, and so in Europe and the Americas, that spice mix is known as curry powder when in reality it's just one kind out of thousands upon thousands.

I wouldn't be surprised if the same thing happened with the word "masala."
Tenchi

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 2:54 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:

And I can say that, living in the southwestern United States, both Cup Noodles and Instant Lunch come in Mexican and Tex-Mex flavors like the aforementioned spicy shrimp, chili lime, chicken tortilla, cheese (which seems to be cheddar with Tex-Mex spices), and carne asada.

I think T&T Supermarkets (owned by Loblaws but specializing in Asian cuisine) also imports some of the USA & Mexico variants of Cup Noodles like Spicy Shrimp that Nissin generally doesn't seem to distribute themselves in Canada. We can get the regular shrimp Cup Noodles at some mainstream supermarkets like Metro (though annoyingly not at every Metro), but I've only ever seen Spicy Shrimp at T&T.

I noticed that a lot of supermarkets in Canada no longer seem to get the "regular" Nissin Cup Noodles (in the cardboard sleeve) but they get Nissin "Big Cup Noodles" instead, but those are inferior products that only have shrimp-flavoured soup base, they don't have the freeze-dried shrimp like the "regular" shrimp Cup Noodles have.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
XerneasYveltal

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 5:45 pm Reply with quote
Bulalo and Batchoy both need more love.

Meanwhile, I would look forward to trying out the spicier flavors especially Spicy Beef and Spicy Seafood.

If I could be able to travel abroad, that is.
Brutannica

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 9:17 pm Reply with quote
MrTerrorist wrote:
It should be noted that while Gulai Ayam is an Indonesian dish, this version titled "Rasa Gulai Ayam Melayu" suggests it's the Malaysian version of the Gulai Ayam so it'll be better to correct it to Malaysia.

It's sold in Indonesia.

Zin5ki wrote:

These are the spices Nissin specified.
Narutofreak1412

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 1:13 am Reply with quote
I remember buying two pallets of the Wasabi ones for like 40€ (because it was on sale).
I ate it nearly every day until after a few weeks it simply was too much and I began to hate it.

Back to topic: I had no idea that flavour is germany exclusive :O
It's a lot spicier than the usual pseudo-asia instant food here in germany, so I thought it was some kind of import.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 3:38 am Reply with quote
Tenchi wrote:
I think T&T Supermarkets (owned by Loblaws but specializing in Asian cuisine) also imports some of the USA & Mexico variants of Cup Noodles like Spicy Shrimp that Nissin generally doesn't seem to distribute themselves in Canada. We can get the regular shrimp Cup Noodles at some mainstream supermarkets like Metro (though annoyingly not at every Metro), but I've only ever seen Spicy Shrimp at T&T.

I noticed that a lot of supermarkets in Canada no longer seem to get the "regular" Nissin Cup Noodles (in the cardboard sleeve) but they get Nissin "Big Cup Noodles" instead, but those are inferior products that only have shrimp-flavoured soup base, they don't have the freeze-dried shrimp like the "regular" shrimp Cup Noodles have.

The kind simply called "Shrimp" seems to be pan-American, and around where I live, it's almost as big a staple as the chicken one. Spicy shrimp, on the other hand, definitely has a Mexican feel to it. (All of the Mexican and Tex-Mex flavors I mentioned, by the way, are not imported from Mexico but made in the United States.)

I've had the Big Cup Noodles. I don't really know why, but their quality feels lower than the normal stuff. The noodles get soggy instead of keeping their normal texture, and it just kind of tastes different in a way I don't really understand.
Kzwtl

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 9:47 am Reply with quote
>.> the best I like is the "Curry Seafood Cup noodles - Hong Kong". I really wish they do online shipping. USA really do need more favor, Nissin stop leaving us with limited flavors lol...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2