• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New York State Prohibits Sex Offenders From Playing Pokémon Go

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wandering Samurai

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 10:34 am Reply with quote
Cuomo taking lessons from Good Ol' Bloomberg, welcome to the Nanny State.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 1:35 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
Pokeman Go is already being used by criminals to lure victims to unsafe areas so that they can be robbed or worse.

That's exactly why I buddy up with a friend or my brother when we go Pokémon hunting.
CatSword

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 3:01 pm Reply with quote
Well, that's some bullshit. There are 18-year-olds on that list for exchanging nudes with their 17-year-old girlfriends.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Lord Oink

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 3:39 pm Reply with quote
CatSword wrote:
Well, that's some bullshit. There are 18-year-olds on that list for exchanging nudes with their 17-year-old girlfriends.

American laws can be pretty inconsistant. A 17 year old can't consent to sex because they are allegedly not mature enough to make an informed descision, but it's legal to give a 4 year old hormones.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 4:41 pm Reply with quote
Please don't head down the rabbit hole with this thread. Given the topic of the article the mods are going to watch it so please keep it civil and avoid flamebait posts. Thank you.
War_Destroyer

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 5:56 pm Reply with quote
Since when is playing Pokémon GO a human right? Also, why do people here always get so paranoid and defensive whenever the sex offenders list is brought up, or someone in the industry is accused of a sex crime? Apparently, and according to the article, there are only 3000 people in the sex offenders list in the STATE of New York. It doesn't sound like an easy list to get onto... Stop freaking out...
Suena

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 6:55 pm Reply with quote
Stuart Smith wrote:
Kadmos1 wrote:
Of those 3000 sex offenders, how many were wrongfully convicted but still had to register as sex offenders? Just saying.

It's not even an issue of wrongful conviction. You can be forced to register if you pee in a bush on the side of the road and someone complained (indescent exposure). And of course, most cases of child molestation are done by family members or friends of the victim, with very few being the fearmongering 'stranger lurking in a school playground'.

Though 80% of the people playing Go are adults anyway according to that one chart.

-Stuart Smith

It specifically says "registered sex offenders under supervision" so I take it to mean it doesn't apply to ALL persons ever registered as sex offenders.
ommadon

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 7:07 pm Reply with quote
Well, it hasn't been mentioned so I'll add this... Criminals can take advantage of people playing the game, but playing the game doesn't give a criminal an advantage in commiting a crime against another who isn't playing.

So, it seems to me that there should be some education on how your movements and habbits while playing can be taken advantage of by others.

I won't argue that there is a potential problem with players being exploited, but their [Cuomo's] solution won't be effective. You don't even have to play the game to exploit players. It's a rediculous burden to put on Niantec, with nothing to show for it.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 1:13 am Reply with quote
VanGosroth wrote:
When I was 12 my mom gave me a bunch of cash and told me to go explore the city of Chicago for a day. My friend and I were dropped off at the train station and made it back home that night without being robbed, shot, or kidnapped. There was an article a few years back where a mom named Lenore Skenazy let her 9 year old son ride the NY subway by himself. She was bombarded by comments about how her son could have been murdered or some other nonsense from fearful parents.

My parents believed child predators were around every corner long before that line of thinking became popular. For as long as I could remember (the late 80's), when I was little, if my parents were away and I was at home, I was not allowed to leave the house. The only places I was allowed to go on my own was to and from the school bus stop, and I was not allowed to stop by anywhere along the way. My mom created scare stories about children being abducted to be cut up and sold for meat on the black market. (I am still not sure whether she actually believes that or not, as she continues to speak of such things with honest conviction to this day.)

Suena wrote:
It specifically says "registered sex offenders under supervision" so I take it to mean it doesn't apply to ALL persons ever registered as sex offenders.

Ah, so THAT is how it's enforced. If they're under supervision, Niantic doesn't have to do anything at all. Whoever is supervising them can go delete Pokémon GO from whatever devices they have it on.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 2:17 am Reply with quote
What's also bad is that I would not put it past federal governments to use it to snoop on regular taxpayers sans the 4th Amendment or a country's equivalent of such.
Meexa

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 3:39 am Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
What's also bad is that I would not put it past federal governments to use it to snoop on regular taxpayers sans the 4th Amendment or a country's equivalent of such.

I always hate it when governments try to act like a white knight then goes and does something devilish.
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 5:28 pm Reply with quote
At the risk of being seemingly political, I will just say this: Andrew Cuomo is unflippingbelievable.....
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2