• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Pokémon Go Banned in Iran Due to 'Security Concerns'

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kiminobokuwa

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 1:21 pm Reply with quote
Well, the game is crap now so there's no real loss there.
7jaws7

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 1:24 pm Reply with quote
Sorry China, Iran beat ya to it Laughing
ETX

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 1:25 pm Reply with quote
I understand how important it is to keep releasing the game in as many counties as possible as it creates more interest and a bigger playerbase. As if 80 million users wasn't enough already though.

The problem here though, is that they keep y releasing a currently broken game riddled with bugfixes that are now starting to become an actual hassle. Harder catch-rates, less accurate throws and the loss of data among others. Not to mention all the people who're hacking/spoofing the game to get a 3000+ Snorlax as if it was nothing.

They should slow down on releasing it in more countries and focus more on flattening out the bugs. Getting anew tracking system back in the game would be a great place to start, and we already know they're working on this as well as other bug fixes. it'd just be nice if they could balance it out on what they focus on.
kiminobokuwa

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 1:28 pm Reply with quote
Snomaster1 wrote:
Why doesn't this surprise me? Of course,Iran would do something like this. This is a country that's the leading sponsor of terror in the world. This may be a small thing but still I despise the Iranian mullahs. If anyone deserves beheading,it's these guys.

You shouldn't wish death onto people and if they want to preserve security (becuase not everyone in Iran is dangerous or evil) then that's their right.
XSp

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 1:35 pm Reply with quote
There's a rumor going around Brazil that Pokemon Go is being used to spy on people's home and such... it's no wonder some countries would take action based on that, specially considering that even in modern democratic countries politicians are as backwards thinking as always.

In fact, we'd probably have tons and tons of bans in Brazil if backwards politicians and judges had their way. Kinda thankful that this still isn't the case, but we're probably not too far from that. Take the whole WhatsApp case for instance...
Aquamine-Amarine

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 1:41 pm Reply with quote
"Security Concerns"? No, they're just bigots who think cartoons are evil.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 1:46 pm Reply with quote
Aquamine-Amarine wrote:
"Security Concerns"? No, they're just bigots who think cartoons are evil.

Given how easily countries can become victims of Cyber Security you can't blame them for being proactive.
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 2:44 pm Reply with quote
Why does Iran have a ban on the Pokemon card game to begin with? Gambling concerns? Or is this like the US's weird "Pokemon is devil worship" phase of the 90's?
TheoEndre

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 2:54 pm Reply with quote
Snomaster1 wrote:
Why doesn't this surprise me? Of course,Iran would do something like this. This is a country that's the leading sponsor of terror in the world. This may be a small thing but still I despise the Iranian mullahs. If anyone deserves beheading,it's these guys.

Watch your mouth when you are speaking . Everyone knows that Iran is the only country that fights against terrorism and the leading sponsor of the terror is KSA and Qatar . The banning of this game because it Distracts people from their prayers and affects their working and a lot of other negative aspects .
DoctorScorpio

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 4:05 pm Reply with quote
TheoEndre wrote:
Watch your mouth when you are speaking . Everyone knows that Iran is the only country that fights against terrorism and the leading sponsor of the terror is KSA and Qatar . The banning of this game because it Distracts people from their prayers and affects their working and a lot of other negative aspects .

Oh thank god for Iran and their efforts to stop terrorism! I'm sure the $400 million is going to work for just that purpose!
johnnysasaki

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 4:25 pm Reply with quote
it's a country that executes people for being gay or following a religion that is not theirs,is this news really a surprise?
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 5:03 pm Reply with quote
I have a hunch that "security concerns" aren't the only reasons the government of Iran decided to ban Pokémon GO from debuting in their country...

In any case, it's disheartening that Iranians will never have their chance of enjoying Pokémon GO. Sad Yes, it did have its problems, but nothing beats catching Pokémon while getting a bit of exercise in-between.
TrueZangetsu

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 1:12 am Reply with quote
ETX wrote:
I understand how important it is to keep releasing the game in as many counties as possible as it creates more interest and a bigger playerbase. As if 80 million users wasn't enough already though.

The problem here though, is that they keep y releasing a currently broken game riddled with bugfixes that are now starting to become an actual hassle. Harder catch-rates, less accurate throws and the loss of data among others. Not to mention all the people who're hacking/spoofing the game to get a 3000+ Snorlax as if it was nothing.

They should slow down on releasing it in more countries and focus more on flattening out the bugs. Getting anew tracking system back in the game would be a great place to start, and we already know they're working on this as well as other bug fixes. it'd just be nice if they could balance it out on what they focus on.

Only one th information you said was not right. There was no loss of data. People were just logged out due to reinstalling the game through an update and we're to stupid to login again with the same account data.
Can't blame anyone but these people for it
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 2:02 am Reply with quote
whiskeyii wrote:
Why does Iran have a ban on the Pokemon card game to begin with? Gambling concerns? Or is this like the US's weird "Pokemon is devil worship" phase of the 90's?

A little but of both, and also a little bit of how Middle Eastern governments often get very uppity if something from outside the region becomes very popular within it (except for Israel, the UAE, and Qatar, and to a lesser extent Saudi Arabia, Palestine, and Oman, and if you count it as part of the Middle East, Egypt). Also, bear in mind that Turkey has a complete ban on Pokémon.
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 4:52 am Reply with quote
The game doesn't have a particularly good track record thus far with cyber security, but I can't help but feel that the call was made more due to paranoia of "unhealthy elements" (a favorite phrase among lobbyists opposing against what don't fit in their agenda).
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2