• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sentai Filmworks Adds Love and Lies Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:49 pm Reply with quote
lossthief wrote:
I can think of few things more likely to balloon the US anime industry's spending faster than a huge company with deep pockets and a hunger for ready content stepping into an industry that is still very much niche compared to the rest of the worldwide streaming/TV industry. Amazon has the money to potentially steamroll all competition out of existence, which ain't great for the longterm health of the industry on either side of the pacific.
Agreed, it is the railroad baron problem in which a company that is a 1,000 times larger than competing companies can easily steamroll over the competition. In the 19th century that didn't go well for consumers and it likely won't go well for the anime industry. Also Amazon has shown no interest in dubs for the shows it has simulcast and has done little in terms of promoting anime.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:51 pm Reply with quote
FlowerAiko wrote:
Amazon's exponential growth rate either means that:
1) Anime Strike is becoming very successful so they're trying to meet the demand
or
2) Amazon's not doing great and they're grabbing everything with Sentai in the hope that they eventually get the numbers they need to keep doing this.

Anime Strike has refused to release their number of subscribers already so it's anyone's guess.

While I was looking into the timing of the Anime Strike versus CR-Funi deal, I came across this month and a half old article by an writer who may be familiar to those on this site. If the spokesperson they talked to is correct, it seems it is the first option, which I'm sure displeases many here. They didn't release the numbers though.

Last edited by zrnzle500 on Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
relyat08

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:51 pm Reply with quote
dragonrider_cody wrote:
They already over a hundred times the number of paying sucbscribers that CR does, and they have thousands and thousands of times the revenue of CR.

I agree with many of your points, but Amazon Prime as a whole has about 60 times more subscribers than Crunchyroll, not really even close to "over a hundred times", and I would be incredibly surprised if the number of those who are subscribed to Anime Strike is even close to how many are paying subscribers to Crunchyroll. But yeah, Amazon has a lot of money regardless.

Personally, I use Prime very regularly and get more than a fair value out of that already. I also live in the US. So for me, $5 for an anime streaming service that actually simulcasts things fairly consistently and has fairly good video quality is more than sufficient. However, I sympathize with a lot of people who live outside of the US where Amazon has been exceptionally inconsistent, and those who have no use for Amazon Prime and would be forced to pay for Prime and Strike just to get some anime. That kind of really sucks.
FlowerAiko

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:55 pm Reply with quote
zrnzle500 wrote:

While I was looking into the timing of the Anime Strike versus CR-Funi deal, I came across this month and a half old article by an writer who may be familiar to those on this site. If the spokesperson they talked to is correct, it seems it is the first option, which I'm sure displeases many here. They didn't release the numbers though.

Yes! That's where I found the information that they're not releasing numbers from! What's really strange about that information is that they're claiming that everything is going fine but not really providing any fact behind it, which seemed kinda odd to me. Usually if companies are having big sucesses they'd gloat about it (CR 1 mil sub mark, for example), especailly someone like amazon.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 11:01 pm Reply with quote
^I don't think that it is necessarily wildly successful. They said it was doing better than expected, so maybe their expectations were just low. Though in that case, why do it that way if you think it will go poorly (though that is just speculation)? Either way, I don't think many will be pleased that they are at least publicly pleased with the performance of Strike, whatever that may be.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 11:25 pm Reply with quote
FlowerAiko wrote:
zrnzle500 wrote:

Yes! That's where I found the information that they're not releasing numbers from! What's really strange about that information is that they're claiming that everything is going fine but not really providing any fact behind it, which seemed kinda odd to me. Usually if companies are having big sucesses they'd gloat about it (CR 1 mil sub mark, for example), especailly someone like amazon.

AMazon doesn't release individual sales figures, so this is the norm for them. They've never even publicly released how many Prime subscribers there are, so they certainly won't release the numbers for one lone station on their channels service. They've never even released actual sales figures for their electronic devices, and any guesses at those have been from financial analysts.

I did overestimate the number of Prime subscribers, but not by much. Currently, they are estimated to have 80 million subscribers, and about one in every five adults has a subscription. When you factor in members of the household who use it, the numbers become quite substantial.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/shephyken/2017/06/17/sixty-four-percent-of-u-s-households-have-amazon-prime/#1db05d1e4586

Amazon's business model allows them to operate Strike at a loss, as long as it encourages people to subscribe to Prime and they order more merchandise. They've had no issues with digital offerings that aren't very profitable, as long as they encourage their core shoppers to remain faithful. They're basically taking the Apple and Google route of locking customers into their ecosystem as much as possible. With it exceeding estimated sign ups, I don't see it going anywhere anytime soon.
Animepokegirl89

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 1:20 am Reply with quote
Blanchimont wrote:
One more show to watch. Whether through legal means or not, doesn't matter, I don't give a iota about their exclusivity...

Same here. I used to always stream everything like that. But now I have Crunchyroll. And I would prefer to help the industry. But Amazon's double pay wall? I'm not doing that. I refuse. Not everyone can afford it. CR needs to lock down some good shows. And fast. I'm already dreading Fall. (The sequels for Umaru and Food Wars.) I already know they won't stream on CR like before. I also hope Funi locks down Love Live Sunshine, and Kekkai Sensen for Fall as well. Because you never know. Especially now that Amazon is in the game. I wonder if Amazon would go after Yuki Yuna's sequel as well. I hope not.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 2:07 am Reply with quote
With the amount of Amazon $ that is helping Sentai, maybe Sentai could start a simuldub. This series and "Princess Principal" could be there used to test that option.
Random Name

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 2:36 am Reply with quote
dragonrider_cody wrote:
@JonnyMendes

Yes, Amazon has the ability to do so. However, they haven't shown the will to monopolize the market. They have enough cash that they could dominate the market literally overnight. Last season they could have even taken Attack on Titan if they really wanted it. Amazon going balls to the wall in anime makes no financial sense, as the market simply doesn't warrant it. They already over a hundred times the number of paying sucbscribers that CR does, and they have thousands and thousands of times the revenue of CR.
I doubt they could monopolize the anime market even if they wanted to. This would this involve Japanese companies screwing over companies they have fostered relationships with for many many years. Not to mention it would not be good business for the Japanese companies. Sure they would gain a short term profit but if Amazon had no competition then the anime companies would no longer make large amounts of money off bidding wars. Amazon is also an unknown that can decide at anytime they no longer wish to be in the anime business as they by no means need it.
Random Name

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 2:39 am Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
With the amount of Amazon $ that is helping Sentai, maybe Sentai could start a simuldub. This series and "Princess Principal" could be there used to test that option.
This would make my year! Even though Princess Principal is the only show I'm interested in a simuldub announcement would make me a prime member.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:09 am Reply with quote
Random Name wrote:
I doubt they could monopolize the anime market even if they wanted to. This would this involve Japanese companies screwing over companies they have fostered relationships with for many many years. Not to mention it would not be good business for the Japanese companies. Sure they would gain a short term profit but if Amazon had no competition then the anime companies would no longer make large amounts of money off bidding wars. Amazon is also an unknown that can decide at anytime they no longer wish to be in the anime business as they by no means need it.

I hope the production committees see it that way since those big licensing fees would almost certainly shrink if Amazon ended up the only major player. Then again, we've already seen an example of Japanese companies choosing to license to Amazon over an established relationship with the Rage of Bahamut sequel. I'm sure Funimation would have liked to get it, and they probably intended to simuldub it, but Amazon's deep pockets won out there.

Animepokegirl89 wrote:

Same here. I used to always stream everything like that. But now I have Crunchyroll. And I would prefer to help the industry. But Amazon's double pay wall? I'm not doing that. I refuse. Not everyone can afford it. CR needs to lock down some good shows. And fast. I'm already dreading Fall. (The sequels for Umaru and Food Wars.) I already know they won't stream on CR like before. I also hope Funi locks down Love Live Sunshine, and Kekkai Sensen for Fall as well. Because you never know. Especially now that Amazon is in the game. I wonder if Amazon would go after Yuki Yuna's sequel as well. I hope not.

I share your concern. I've already seen people comment on Sentai's Facebook page asking what they intend to do with Food Wars. Obviously, Sentai isn't going to comment on something they haven't officially licensed, but people do have reason to question it, especially since Sentai seems to intend to carry forward with Amazon, despite complaints and even to the detriment to HIDIVE.

I also share your concern about Love Live. Amazon got streaming rights for the Rage of Bahamut sequel on its own, even thought I'm sure Funimation wanted it, and probably planned to simuldub it. The Japanese companies involved chose to work directly with Amazing with no involvement from Sentai, even when they could have continued to work with Funimation.

Last edited by Greed1914 on Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:34 am; edited 1 time in total
jenthehen

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:25 am Reply with quote
Sentai made an ambiguous comment on their facebook post about this show that makes me think it might be a simuldub ...
FlowerAiko

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:34 am Reply with quote
jenthehen wrote:
Sentai made an ambiguous comment on their facebook post about this show that makes me think it might be a simuldub ...

Sentai doesn't do those, only Funimation.
jenthehen

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:35 am Reply with quote
FlowerAiko wrote:
jenthehen wrote:

Sentai doesn't do those, only Funimation.

That's what I thought. Maybe they just mean there will eventually be a dub.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:21 am Reply with quote
SpacemanHardy wrote:
Blankslate wrote:
I hope everyone who's paying for Anime Strike is proud of what they've accomplished. They've shown Amazon that anime fans are willing to put up with any shitty business practice that's thrown at them.

Anime Strike is basically to streaming what Aniplex of America is to physical releases. Instead of everyone banding together and saying "NO", thereby forcing the big companies to change their methods, there are always gonna be the handful of people who have to ruin it for everyone else. Confused

The enemy is Aniplex, not anime fans. I hate Aniplex too, but I am not going to blame high-end collectors and ultra fans from doing what they do. That is totally unfair and unrealistic.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4