• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - Six Underrated Anime Witches

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KH91

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 5:20 pm Reply with quote
Even at #9, that is too high for Mamiya Sakura.

Quote:
Main character Ayaka Kagari is a stoic fire witch who ends up shacking up with Honoka Takamiya

When was that revealed? All sources claim that Honoka is the MC.

mangamuscle wrote:
I am sad WitchCraft Works never got a release over here, it had good number on japan (5k) so I don't see a reason it would not sell over here.

I'm sad Witch Craft Works didn't get a 2nd season. It was so good....and that Ending theme song. lol What are the anime gods doing up there? Crying or Very sad
tcdelaney

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 5:23 pm Reply with quote
Loved Tweeny Witches. Little Witch Academia reminds me of it in many ways - in particular in that both had unusual graphic and character design, and there's a natural innocence and earnestness to the characters in both that's either not present in most shows, or feels incredibly forced.

BTW I think this should have been a 7-item list - how could you miss Mahou Tsukai Tai!(Magic Users Club)?

KH91 wrote:
Quote:
Main character Ayaka Kagari is a stoic fire witch who ends up shacking up with Honoka Takamiya

When was that revealed? All sources claim that Honoka is the MC.

WCW was fun, and I would have liked to have seen another season. If you watched the whole show, you'd realise that WCW really is about Ayaka - Honoka is there to give the hook, but Ayaka is the MC.

Last edited by tcdelaney on Sat Jul 08, 2017 7:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 5:43 pm Reply with quote
no umineko ? sacrilege !
belvadeer

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 6:49 pm Reply with quote
Regarding the new poll question, Sacrificial Princess and the King of Beasts looks like a winner to me. I just hope the King of Beasts shown on the cover of the manga isn't going to be humiliated into some sort of pet dog antics for the princess or anything.
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 10:27 pm Reply with quote
I've had Tweeny Witches on my to-watch list for God knows how many years know. More than five, I'm sure; prooobably less than ten.
jymmy

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 11:21 pm Reply with quote
Sally the Witch would have been nice to mention, being probably the first ever magical girl anime (and not watched often by or possibly even known among fans nowadays). Although the main character in Himitsu no Akko-chan, whose manga predated Sally's, isn't a witch as such, Akko from Little Witch Academia is very clearly inspired by her, having the same given name and "Kagari" instead of "Kagami" as her family name – which would have been interesting to note as well.

Yoyo and Nene was a fantastic film and should be watched more often. The last act was a bit weaker than the story leading up to it, with the excellent character writing being stronger than the resolution to the somewhat predictable plot, but it was still entertaining. The scene around halfway through after the festival was what made it for me. It's one of those truly universal pieces of storytelling that opens the gulf between childhood and adulthood in a believable, gut-wrenching way. Just brilliant.
Sahmbahdeh

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 1:28 am Reply with quote
jymmy wrote:
Yoyo and Nene ...

Seconding all of this. A wonderful little film that took me by surprise and that I almost never hear talked about, most likely due to its non-release in the US, although I have found German DVD copies of it....
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 5:40 am Reply with quote
I know about Sugar Sugar Rune, as it was made by the wife of Hideaki Anno, and it was the last Anime he ever worked on as a key-animator(which is what he is best at)
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 6:02 am Reply with quote
How about the 1960s classic "Magical Witch Sally"? This is considered the first mahou shoujo series.

Concerning as to whether Ayaka or Honok is the main character for "Witch Craft Works", it may come down to determining who the main character and protagonist are. To clarify the difference, I cite the 3/3/26 Wordsmith Six blog entry called "Hero vs. Protagonist vs. Main Character". In it, Adam Huddleston said he had listened to a then recent a podcast where mods explained the difference. The differences are the following:
Quote:
Hero: the character in a story that you want to see succeed.

Protagonist: the character in a story that drives the events of the story forward and often changes during it

Main Character: the character the story focuses on, usually told through their point of view

So, using the above, Lucy Heartfilia is the MC of "Fairy Tail" (often MC are the ones who get the most screen or panel time) whereas Natsu is the protagonist and both are the heroes. However, this is going by our modern English definitions and the Japanese equivalent has been applied to both characters.
DirtyCircle

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 6:30 am Reply with quote
I have a season, OVAs and films left to watch of RANMA but I have to say I'm really disappointed in the results for the last poll.

I can't stand Shampoo and how she got listed is beyond me. I personally voted for Ukyo because I think she is the best female in RANMA, Akane aside. No one really was written to be much of a rival for Akane and it's clear she is the one but I just adore Ukyo and really wish that they had done more with her and had her as a legitimate challenge to Akane.

I agree with a previous poster too about Sakura Mamiya. She is 'meh' at best and doesn't deserve to get listed. The focus of the show isn't on her so she is very bland, how anyone could consider her a great Rumiko character is beyond me.
Slashman

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 8:21 am Reply with quote
From what I recall, WCW went right up to the last published chapter of the manga, so there would have been a significant wait period before another season's worth of content was available. Weekend was the last arc in the manga at the time.

They may have animated it a little too early. I don't know anyone who's read read the manga so I have no idea how the story progressed, and if there was a decent enough chunk of content by the time the following year rolled around.
Physco Fish

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 9:57 am Reply with quote
Why put Rurumo in a list of "underrated" shows just to disparage it in the description? Clicked this article hoping to see it get a little love. Sad It's certainly not the greatest anime ever, but I think it atleast has a little more going for it than Witch Craft Works. If you like cute, slightly emotional fanservice shows in the vein of Eromanga-sensei or Dragon Maid I would definitely check it out.
Nordhmmer

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 11:36 am Reply with quote
Slashman wrote:
From what I recall, WCW went right up to the last published chapter of the manga, so there would have been a significant wait period before another season's worth of content was available. Weekend was the last arc in the manga at the time.

They may have animated it a little too early. I don't know anyone who's read read the manga so I have no idea how the story progressed, and if there was a decent enough chunk of content by the time the following year rolled around.

Basically the anime adapted up to chapter 27-28 and the OVA adapted chapter 29.

Currently WCW is up to chapter 59ish and the current arc is the who,what&why of Honoka&Ayaka forgotten memories.
FireballDragon

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 1:06 pm Reply with quote
I was partly expecting Dorothy from MÄR, but I guess no one remembers that.

Not like I really cared for it myself, anyway.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 1:18 pm Reply with quote
Nordhmmer wrote:
the OVA adapted chapter 29.

Crunchy should throw us a bone and add the OVA to their catalog.

Nordhmmer wrote:
Currently WCW is up to chapter 59ish

Should be 63 atm.

Quote:
and the current arc is the who,what&why of Honoka&Ayaka forgotten memories.

I do hope the current arc ends soon so that a 2nd season announcement becomes feasible.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3