Forum - View topic
This Week in Anime - Will Bakugo Become a Hero or a Villain?


Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Animechic420



Joined: 25 Sep 2012
Posts: 1294
Location: A Cave Filled With Riches
PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 12:56 pm Reply with quote
Bakugo has always had the biggest stick up his ass. I don’t like him.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Sobe



Joined: 04 Jun 2011
Posts: 734
PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 12:59 pm Reply with quote
It'd be hilarious if he became a villain. He's already an anti-hero. Maybe if he became more of that or an anti-villain, I wouldn't be surprised.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
FackuIkari



Joined: 31 Dec 2013
Posts: 278
Location: Argentina
PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:01 pm Reply with quote
I don't know how many times I've said this already, BAKUGO IS NOT SASUKE, STOP THAT! And the arc after the Training Arc is gonna prove that to you which is also the arc with spoiler[ All Might and All for One final fight] and boooooy that's is gonna hype animated, I can't wait for that.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Monster Hunter



Joined: 29 Jan 2014
Posts: 322
PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:05 pm Reply with quote
Bakugo is one of the most interesting and compelling characters in the series for me and from near the beginning he has been one of my favorites. When Season 3 comes out and plays out how I think it will go you will see the groundwork for HUGE Bakugo development. Bakugo and Deku have a great rivalry to each other that pushes the other to be better and I love that. People kept wanting to compare these two to Naruto and Sasuke when they really aren't all that close to that. Deku and Bakugo have a closer relationship to Goku and Vegeta post Frieza Saga. Where they aren't enemies but they definitely aren't friends and like Vegeta Bakugo is pushed almost solely by his pride.

Season 3 will hopefully get to where we really dive into Bakugo and see what makes him tick. spoiler[We learn why Bakugo is the way he is through his environment. When Bakugo developed his powers everyone praised him and how he would be a great hero some day. A child of five being praised and built up constantly by everyone from his peers, to his teachers, to random adults on the streets it built up in him this immense tower of confidence and pride. He learned that power means respect and admiration so in contrast no power must mean weakness and degradation. So Deku being the only kid in his class without a quirk he must be the loser and pariah. To then later see Deku have such a powerful quirk it struck at the very core of his tower of confidence and pride. This person so much weaker and of less status then him being his equal possibly his better was unthinkable. This also is a great counterpoint to the character of Shinso from the general education course of U.A. and from the sports festival. While Bakugo was praised and told he would be a great hero with his powers Shinso was told his powers were frightening and he would be a villain. Later well after season 3 will end Bakugo is going to call Deku out for a fight finally putting together Deku inherited his powers from All Might. At this point All Might has used up every bit of One for All defeating his arch nemesis All for One while rescuing Bakugo and this destroys Bakugo. The ultimate pinnacle of strength who Bakugo looked up to lost all his powers and it was because of Bakugo. That if Bakugo was stronger and better he wouldn't have needed to be saved and All Might could still be a hero. Bakugo being a person who has always run on the emotions of pride and anger didn't know how to handle such terrible grief and regret so he deals with it the only way he knows through anger. So he calls Deku out for a fight because that is the only thing he can and it turns into a pretty awesome fight and a great moment between Bakugo, Deku and All Might.]
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Monster Hunter



Joined: 29 Jan 2014
Posts: 322
PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:07 pm Reply with quote
FackuIkari wrote:
I don't know how many times I've said this already, BAKUGO IS NOT SASUKE, STOP THAT! And the arc after the Training Arc is gonna prove that to you which is also the arc with spoiler[ All Might and All for One final fight] and boooooy that's is gonna hype animated, I can't wait for that.


Ya if you want to compare Bakugo to another shounen anime character then Vegeta is the perfect choice. Horikoshi seemed to develop Bakugo from a mold of Vegeta.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Greed1914



Joined: 28 Oct 2007
Posts: 2738
PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:08 pm Reply with quote
I have a hard time believing that Bakugo would completely become a villain. Conceivably, I could see him straying for a while if Deku becomes the number one hero, and Bakugo decides it's better to be the number one villain than number two hero. We've already seen how angry he was that Deku had the better fight with Todoroki, even though Bakugo won the festival. However, I don't think that would stick. With his attitude, it's easy to forget that Bakugo wants to be a hero.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Realquick



Joined: 13 Mar 2015
Posts: 42
PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:29 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
He comes away from his talk with Deku not deciding he needs to embody a greater cause, but that he needs to put on the airs of a radical like Stain in order to get the satisfaction he really wants. He doesn't have any grander ideals.


Actually, I'm sure this is wrong. He comes out of this realizing his ideals to move forward but he's using stains goals to reach his which is why he sees them as opposites. Stain wants to improve hero society while Shigaraki wants to destroy it by taking down all might and showing how fragile justice is.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
FackuIkari



Joined: 31 Dec 2013
Posts: 278
Location: Argentina
PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:34 pm Reply with quote
Monster Hunter wrote:
FackuIkari wrote:
I don't know how many times I've said this already, BAKUGO IS NOT SASUKE, STOP THAT! And the arc after the Training Arc is gonna prove that to you which is also the arc with spoiler[ All Might and All for One final fight] and boooooy that's is gonna hype animated, I can't wait for that.


Ya if you want to compare Bakugo to another shounen anime character then Vegeta is the perfect choice. Horikoshi seemed to develop Bakugo from a mold of Vegeta.


I don't see that, Vegeta was a villain that turned into a good guy, Bakugo was never a villain, he is a good guy with pride and overconfidence but that get him compared to Sasuke when the backgrounds of both characters are completely different, there's no reason for Bakugo to become a Villain, Sasuke had it coming from the start with is f****d up past.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Monster Hunter



Joined: 29 Jan 2014
Posts: 322
PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:48 pm Reply with quote
FackuIkari wrote:


I don't see that, Vegeta was a villain that turned into a good guy, Bakugo was never a villain, he is a good guy with pride and overconfidence but that get him compared to Sasuke when the backgrounds of both characters are completely different, there's no reason for Bakugo to become a Villain, Sasuke had it coming from the start with is f****d up past.


I mean post Frieza saga Vegeta of course I know Bakugo isn't a villain. I mean like Vegeta alot of what has built up Bakugo to this point is his pride. Pride that he is the best and he can over come anything in his way. Just like Vegeta with Goku Bakugo sees Deku and strives to beat him and be better then him.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
MajinAkuma



Joined: 15 Aug 2014
Posts: 905
PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:01 pm Reply with quote
Don't people still get that Bakugo admires All Might as much as Midoriya does?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Animechic420



Joined: 25 Sep 2012
Posts: 1294
Location: A Cave Filled With Riches
PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:51 pm Reply with quote
MajinAkuma wrote:
Don't people still get that Bakugo admires All Might as much as Midoriya does?

Admiring All Might is different from wanting to knock him out and take his place as #1 hero. Confused
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
pikabot



Joined: 19 Nov 2014
Posts: 87
PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 4:28 pm Reply with quote
I mean, you could just read the manga. The manga answers this question pretty definitively.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
CrowLia



Joined: 24 Feb 2012
Posts: 4892
Location: Mexico
PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 4:39 pm Reply with quote
MajinAkuma wrote:
Don't people still get that Bakugo admires All Might as much as Midoriya does?


Stain the Hero Killer was also an All Might admirer
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
bleachj0j



Joined: 22 Nov 2008
Posts: 737
PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 5:00 pm Reply with quote
pikabot wrote:
I mean, you could just read the manga. The manga answers this question pretty definitively.


Not everyone wants to do that?

I've always been mixed on Midoriya and Bakugo's relationship. On one hand, I understand some parts of Bakugo that Midoriya looks up too, on the other, I kind of roll my eyes at it because he was a bully for most of their childhood.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Peebs



Joined: 07 Dec 2005
Posts: 326
PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 6:20 pm Reply with quote
Monster Hunter wrote:
Bakugo is one of the most interesting and compelling characters in the series for me and from near the beginning he has been one of my favorites. When Season 3 comes out and plays out how I think it will go you will see the groundwork for HUGE Bakugo development. Bakugo and Deku have a great rivalry to each other that pushes the other to be better and I love that. People kept wanting to compare these two to Naruto and Sasuke when they really aren't all that close to that. Deku and Bakugo have a closer relationship to Goku and Vegeta post Frieza Saga. Where they aren't enemies but they definitely aren't friends and like Vegeta Bakugo is pushed almost solely by his pride.

Season 3 will hopefully get to where we really dive into Bakugo and see what makes him tick. spoiler[We learn why Bakugo is the way he is through his environment. When Bakugo developed his powers everyone praised him and how he would be a great hero some day. A child of five being praised and built up constantly by everyone from his peers, to his teachers, to random adults on the streets it built up in him this immense tower of confidence and pride. He learned that power means respect and admiration so in contrast no power must mean weakness and degradation. So Deku being the only kid in his class without a quirk he must be the loser and pariah. To then later see Deku have such a powerful quirk it struck at the very core of his tower of confidence and pride. This person so much weaker and of less status then him being his equal possibly his better was unthinkable. This also is a great counterpoint to the character of Shinso from the general education course of U.A. and from the sports festival. While Bakugo was praised and told he would be a great hero with his powers Shinso was told his powers were frightening and he would be a villain. Later well after season 3 will end Bakugo is going to call Deku out for a fight finally putting together Deku inherited his powers from All Might. At this point All Might has used up every bit of One for All defeating his arch nemesis All for One while rescuing Bakugo and this destroys Bakugo. The ultimate pinnacle of strength who Bakugo looked up to lost all his powers and it was because of Bakugo. That if Bakugo was stronger and better he wouldn't have needed to be saved and All Might could still be a hero. Bakugo being a person who has always run on the emotions of pride and anger didn't know how to handle such terrible grief and regret so he deals with it the only way he knows through anger. So he calls Deku out for a fight because that is the only thing he can and it turns into a pretty awesome fight and a great moment between Bakugo, Deku and All Might.]


Your spoiler has made cry. Not because it spoiled it for me (I've kept up with the manga), but because I had no words to describe all of this. You have put it so well and to the point. Thank you.

Oh, you guys. Bakugo is a good guy. He is not going to turn to the dark side. I don't say that because he's my cinnamon bun and must always be protected. I say that because of who he is deep down. Yes, he's got anger management issues and can't let go of those issues, but deep down he has the makings of a hero. My prediction is that when all's said and done, he'll stand shoulder to shoulder with Deku as great heroes. Except Deku will be the greatest that ever lived and Bakugo will come to accept that. He will change throughout the story and I can't wait to read it and see it animated.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group