• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Japan's Animation Blu-ray Disc Ranking, April 16-22

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Heishi

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:40 pm Reply with quote
hissatsu01 wrote:
Heishi wrote:
hissatsu01 wrote:
I'm not sure I'd describe a seinen manga as "aimed at women."

Because its not seinen. It's josei, manga aimed at adult women.

I'm kind of bemused that this is even debatable. Regardless of what the content is, it was serialized in a seinen magazine, as has already been mentioned. That's the deciding factor in what it's classified as. No one's stopping women from reading it, but why would they serialize it Big Comic Spirits if they were targeting an adult female audience? That makes no sense at all.

Sometimes, it can be a bit hard to describe an anime's target audience.

For me, it was when people thought Destiny of the Shrine Maiden was aimed at a shojo or even a seinen audience even though it was originally on a shonen magazine or when Sabagebu! which was this weird almost fanservicey schoolgirl series ran on a shojo magazine, which surprised me, really. People even claimed that Tokyo Ghoul and Attack on Titan were seinen even though they ran on shonen magazine, so it can be a little confusing for some.
hissatsu01

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:34 pm Reply with quote
Heishi wrote:
Sometimes, it can be a bit hard to describe an anime's target audience.

Not really. They serialize it where they want to target it. You can second guess their decisions all you want, or think maybe they would have sold better if they targeted a different audience, but it doesn't change the fact the manga get categorized by where they serialize it.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 2:01 am Reply with quote
My guess is that a reason accounting for "DagashI Kashi 2" having horrible sales figures at the moment is the fact the epi. were about 1/2 the standard anime epi. length.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2