• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Run with the Wind

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Merida

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:26 am Reply with quote
Jeez, watching this episode put me in such a good mood whereas reading the comments here... Rolling Eyes

At this point i couldn't care less about "realism" because watching this show is making me feel insanely happy. The last sports anime that had this effect on me was probably Haikyuu before the endless tournament arcs bored me half to death.

So yeah, i loved everything about this ep.! When Kakeru slowed down at the end, i loudly cheered at the screen. This has slowly but surely become my favorite show of the season, together with Double Decker which is is another underrated gem.
Clematis

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:14 am Reply with quote
^I can but agree with that wholeheartedly. This episode has so many good wibes and funny, joyful moments to chuckle about, it really made my day. Found myself laughing when the crew were waiting turns for bathroom, and being truly happy to see Kakeru slow down to encourage Prince. The warmth of kindness, understanding and mutual support, as well as the struggles and efforts put to achieve a goal, are something this anime portrays really well, and it's so wonderful to see it.
Another great episode of an awesome anime.

Last edited by Clematis on Thu Dec 06, 2018 5:23 am; edited 1 time in total
MF65

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 4:14 am Reply with quote
Yea, I think at this point the best think to do is just ignore some comment(er)s. For me, this was one of the best episodes so far. Kakeru finally felt like a member of the team (which already started in the last episode) and it was really heart-warming to see him and Prince bonding. The banter between them is also great! They're usually very reserved, but they really go all out when it comes to each other Laughing Oh! I didn't see anyone mention this yet, but the soundtrack is absolutely amazing!
All in all, this might replace Haikyuu!!! as my go to sports anime recommendation. It is that good. If it keeps going like this, it might also become my favourite anime this year.
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:44 am Reply with quote
Gosh I love Ouji. XDDD There really isn't anything to compare his running form to other than the titans in AoT. Laughing

The bond Kakeru and Ouji now share is so cute. I'm glad Kakeru is finally becoming a real part of the team. The whole thing with Hana's cooking was pretty hilarious too.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 6:39 pm Reply with quote
Dang, now that we've got Ouji's form straightened out, so to speak, it looks to me like they need to work on King next. Though he's not Titan bad, his running looked like an old man hunched over his cane this episode. Smile

::sigh:: January is going to be a long time coming.
Merida

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 7:41 am Reply with quote
Nooo! How am i supposed to survive this long without my running boys fix?! Crying or Very sad

Lots of amazing scenes again today and i love how Ouji's shirt is getting all that character development. Cool
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 8:05 am Reply with quote
Wait, what!? Is RWTW off until January?
Vikkio92

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 8:22 pm Reply with quote
No matter how hard I try to see it, this show simply can’t manage to elicit any consistent positive emotional response in me, only annoyance.

So many characters that hated or simply didn’t care about running have turned in a few months into the most diligent and devoted of runners - after having been forced to take it up, no less! Talk about Stockholm syndrome.

I could believe that running would resonate with a couple of people, but there is absolutely no way that 100% of people forced to take up what is considered by most a dull and unrewarding sport would get this into it, this quickly. Even most people who love running don’t have the energy, time or motivation to persevere like these people are doing...!

It’s such a shame because most characters are actually very well written (I come back every week for Ouji and Kakeru) - they were just shoehorned into what the plot demanded with no regard for logic or realism.

I would actually be happy if they introduced some ‘supernatural’ element à la KnB, as it would give me at least a half decent reason to suspend my disbelief.[/b]
Merida

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 2:33 am Reply with quote
Vikkio92 wrote:
No matter how hard I try to see it, this show simply can’t manage to elicit any consistent positive emotional response in me, only annoyance.

So many characters that hated or simply didn’t care about running have turned in a few months into the most diligent and devoted of runners - after having been forced to take it up, no less! Talk about Stockholm syndrome

So how should the story have developed in your opinion? Haiji "forces" everyone to run, they keep hating it and eventually refuse to continue - the end? Or they do continue and keep hating it and everybody is getting more miserable with every episode? Rolling Eyes
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 10:21 am Reply with quote
I agree with you, Vikkio92, that if we were looking at a random sample, "100% of (fictional?) people" (in the sample) would be deeply unlikely to find they enjoyed running after being pushed into it.

But we're not looking at a random sample (and thank goodness for that, because if anime characters' behavior were based off the expected behavior of a random sample of people, anime would be depressingly boring).... we're looking at a group selected specifically worth telling a story about. There are certainly some groups of people in the (real? fictional?) world that would find themselves caught up in the camaraderie and athleticism of running as in RWTW, so I don't see why it's troubling to imagine the story is told exactly because it's about such a group of people.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 1:54 pm Reply with quote
There's also the fact that these are not a random sampling of people. Though the presence of Ouji might suggest otherwise, they were hand-picked by Haiji, because he saw something in them that led him to believe they would come around. He collected them over a long period of time. If he just wanted warm bodies, he could've filled his quota in two days of posting ads around campus for cheap housing. That they felt compelled at first to stay instead of just moving to another apartment shows that's a rare commodity around there.
NeedMoreCats
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:45 pm Reply with quote
Hooray, January 8th is here!

Should I be worried that RWTW is no longer listed under Daily Streaming Reviews? I mean, I know it'll be a day or two before the next review is posted but, still . . .
phia_one

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 3:04 pm Reply with quote
Episode 12
I totally forgot that it was coming back on the 8th! Anyway, it's see to see the team again. Kakeru has already made a lot of progress in terms of opening up and being part of a team, but it looks like he still has some emotional constipation in regards to what happened in high school.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:21 am Reply with quote
Missed this so much in just a few weeks! I just about laughed myself silly at the "moist" breeze the twins were reveling in. Laughing

I have a feeling the sound we heard was someone throwing a gym bag at Kakeru, rather than a blow landing.
yuna49

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:01 am Reply with quote
Kakeru attended Sendai Josei High School? Did he dress in drag? Was he found out and expelled? From the comments of the journalist and the Tokyo bully that triggered Kakeru's attack, there must be something like this in Kakeru's past.

Has some resonance with the story of one of the main male characters in Shion no Ou.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 6 of 13