• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Zombie Land Saga

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Agent355

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 4:27 am Reply with quote
I Loved it! Saki went out in a blaze of bike glory her first time around, as predicted, and did it again to save her friend's kid. I loved that Reiko kept the Tamagatchi, and agree that she should have given it to Saki as acknowledgment. The only part I didn't think quite fit was Suddenly! Idol Concert!, like they were trying to trade in the biker girl schtick for idol girl schtick as quickly as possible to stay on brand (I liked the song, though).

The episode was a great balance of fun biker girl cliches ( The "!?" were great, chicken has always been, and will always be, a really stupid way to show that tough kids got guts), comedy, and a bit of emotional resonance.

Bring on Yugiri's episode!
Merida

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:48 am Reply with quote
I'm so curious about Kotaro's and Sakura's connection now! I wonder if Yugiri knows? I'm also still expecting something about Tae's idendity...though i certainly wouldn't mind it to happen in a second season ether.

And that scene with the boar was bloody hilarious (also, welcome back, truck-kun~) Laughing
Panino Manino

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 7:08 pm Reply with quote

I have my doubts if this episode really needed full 20 minutes of "self-insert otako whining". Those short flashbacks in the last episode were already enough to understand her whole situation.

So, Sakura sent her application to "Zombieland Saga Corporation".
With that new character is almost confirmed that Kotaro is also a zombie, and that these zombie experiments are going for a long time.
Panino Manino

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 7:45 am Reply with quote
I already knew about Xu Fu, looks like it's really him. It's his statue there.
I bet this is the most explanation we'll have about the zombification.
John Thacker

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 10:32 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Part of my frustration lies with the convenience of Sakura's amnesia.

Not like it was out of nowhere though. It's been heavily foreshadowed the entire series, what with all the comments about everyone else getting their memories back and asking about her. At the very least it was a given that she was going to recover her memories right at this point.

Quote:
but this feels like a roadblock instead of a proper character arc.

I suppose that they could have had more time for it if they hadn't wasted time with cliche standard anime tropes like "one character development episode per character." Yugiri and Yamada Tae didn't need that treatment to be interesting, but some of the characters apparently did-- notably Lily, who the reviewer rightly saw as one of the most useless, inessential, and underdeveloped characters until the show spent a whole cliched filler episode on her designed to bring the moe. It worked for Lily, but it took time out of having a more developed plot at the climax. Those are the tradeoffs you make.
meiam

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 12:28 am Reply with quote
Well the problem is that it was a character arc for a character that wasn't in the show until now. Sakura before her amnesia was completely different character than the moopy version. So it's not like her overcoming her defeatist attitude make much of a difference since she never really had it before. They crated a problem out of nowhere and solved it by returning to a state pre problem, hence no growth really happen.
MiloTheFirst

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 2:57 am Reply with quote
did no one else noticed the extra sound effects in episode 11's opening? i wonder what that was all about. speaking of which, thanks to the revelations of sakura's character the aforementioned opening might not be as absurd as we might have deemed it. well have to wait till next weeks to reach a conclusion.

personally, I actually found the comedy in this episode more effective than in the previous 3 or 4 episodes which led me to feel as if this out of nowhere sakura situation was the show just pushing the boundaries of absurdity as per usual instead of some poorly executed atempt at character drama. I don't think this was the cliche self depresiating otaku self insert narrative, just a personification of murhpy law as the reviewer put it
Merida

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 5:43 am Reply with quote
^I had to rewatch the OP a couple of times to be sure i wasn't imagining things! Laughing

And Sakura's "tragic backstory" was pretty hilarious because it was basically a Best of Anime Murphy's Law, exaggerated to the max.

Kotaro was awesome as usual, as was The Legendary Tae. Looking forward to the grand finale!
Panino Manino

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:02 am Reply with quote
Oh yeah, just in case I'm want to register this here too.
If Xu Fu can exist in this story I have my own theory about Tae's identity.
Her surname "Yamada" is Mountain/山, something that Xu Fu was searching, and Rice Field/田, something that he supposedly introduced. Thus I place my bets on Tae being the "Legendary" Himiko from the Yamatai (Yama+Tae).

About Sakura drama, IMO it could have worked much better if she had to deal with the memories of her frustrating life in the beginning, not now in the end. How can she say that she can't do it, it won't wok, when she was doing and it was working for months?
MiloTheFirst

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 2:54 pm Reply with quote
Panino Manino wrote:

About Sakura drama, IMO it could have worked much better if she had to deal with the memories of her frustrating life in the beginning, not now in the end. How can she say that she can't do it, it won't wok, when she was doing and it was working for months?

She doesn't remember that, what she does (now) remember is getting hit by a truck after finally mustering back her courage, if I where her I would legite consider whether I had been born cursed
JB_Gra

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 12:55 am Reply with quote
Panino Manino wrote:
With that new character is almost confirmed that Kotaro is also a zombie, and that these zombie experiments are going for a long time.

If he's a zombie then he must be a really special one because he sweats and can take baths without his makeup falling off.

I want to think Koutarou is another kind of entity. At least we know now that he is older than we think.

By the way, whatever happened to the reporters who suspected about the girls? I thought they were going to play a major role by the end of the show.
Panino Manino

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:21 am Reply with quote
JB_Gra wrote:
Panino Manino wrote:

If he's a zombie then he must be a really special one because he sweats and can take baths without his makeup falling off.

I want to think Koutarou is another kind of entity. At least we know now that he is older than we think.

By the way, whatever happened to the reporters who suspected about the girls? I thought they were going to play a major role by the end of the show.

Then maybe he is just immortal.
Panino Manino

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 3:53 pm Reply with quote
Panino Manino wrote:

Then maybe he is just immortal.

Well...
But maybe my theory about Tae being Himiko can still turn true, because for the looks ot it, if the series makes money they'll do a second season.

# Finale

Disappointing.
Giving Sakura two episodes at the ending... I could be better if any of the girls had more relevancy than the others. If they had to pick a character to put in the center of the climax, as the reveled part of Kotaro's secret, that I should've him.

The whole thing with the stage falling above the girls was exaggerated and kinda of dumb/cringe. While the girls were insisting on dancing because they're zombies and can't die I was thinking about the public. They're just human, they can die! Would the girls really risk killing one of the fans?
Plus 3D.

At least Tae was cute!
steelmirror

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 12:09 am Reply with quote
I'm glad to hear that this might get a second season, partly because it felt like this one was robbed of having a decent finale. They changed the main viewpoint character into a completely different person for almost 2 eps, introduced a completely out of nowhere conflict for that character, then resolved it and changed her back into who she's been all season at the end in the hopes of making the whole thing feel like some sort of culmination.

I didn't hate the end of the show, but the last 2 eps could have been entirely removed and had really no effect on anything except for a few hints about Kotaro's background and the zombie thing. Not exactly a good thing, from a story construction point of view. Given all the plot threads they left dangling, though, I'm really looking forward to what happens next!
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 6:35 am Reply with quote
To be honest, the kind of conflict Sakura had going in this finale is exactly what I'd expect from a mid-season climax, where the hero is presented with a harsh reality, falls into doubt and self-esteem issues and comes back reinforced for the second leg of the show.
There's just so much in this story saying "we aren't done yet". But then again, Kotaro said "your fight has only just begun" so maybe it actually is done for good.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 9 of 10