• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: The Quintessential Quintuplets

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gray Lensman

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 12:52 am Reply with quote
Treeborn wrote:
Please, for all that is good, I hope the creator doesn't make Ichika or Itsuki the bride. I would prefer if Miku was, but I'd still be satisfied if Yotsuba or Nino came out with the win. But please, PLEASE not the other two.

I'm with you on that - I asked my wife exactly who she thought of as the most generic of all the Quints and she picked Itsuki right off the bat (well, she actually mentioned 'the one with the stars in her hair' but that's lose enough). The story seems to typically be doing a decent job finding ways to subvert what often starts off appearing like a typical romcom or harem trope, I hope it can somehow manage to also pull off avoiding the biggest cliche in the genre.
Punch Drunk Marc

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 9:28 am Reply with quote
Gray Lensman wrote:
Treeborn wrote:
Please, for all that is good, I hope the creator doesn't make Ichika or Itsuki the bride. I would prefer if Miku was, but I'd still be satisfied if Yotsuba or Nino came out with the win. But please, PLEASE not the other two.

I'm with you on that - I asked my wife exactly who she thought of as the most generic of all the Quints and she picked Itsuki right off the bat (well, she actually mentioned 'the one with the stars in her hair' but that's lose enough). The story seems to typically be doing a decent job finding ways to subvert what often starts off appearing like a typical romcom or harem trope, I hope it can somehow manage to also pull off avoiding the biggest cliche in the genre.

Sadly, it is often Harem law that whoever the protag meets first shall be the endgame. There are very few exceptions (if any) to that rule.
Treeborn

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 2:26 pm Reply with quote
We can only hope it doesn't follow the rule Sad
Gray Lensman

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 6:31 pm Reply with quote
Punch Drunk Marc wrote:
Gray Lensman wrote:
Treeborn wrote:

Sadly, it is often Harem law that whoever the protag meets first shall be the endgame. There are very few exceptions (if any) to that rule.

The exceptions I remember follow a different rule - "She who treats the protagonist the absolute worst wins." Because half of anime romances seem to be based on Stockholm Syndrome. At least this one, no matter the ending, doesn't seem to be following that rule.
Punch Drunk Marc

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 6:49 pm Reply with quote
Gray Lensman wrote:
Punch Drunk Marc wrote:
Gray Lensman wrote:
Treeborn wrote:

The exceptions I remember follow a different rule - "She who treats the protagonist the absolute worst wins." Because half of anime romances seem to be based on Stockholm Syndrome. At least this one, no matter the ending, doesn't seem to be following that rule.

The only series I can remember not following that rule are Haganai - Where Yozora being first girl was a swerve for Sena being the true first girl, spoiler[only for Kodaka to diss both of them and get with Yukimura...for some reason,] and How to Raise a Boring Girlfriend.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4