• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Vic Mignogna No Longer a Member of RWBY Cast

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sandstar

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:58 pm Reply with quote
uncutpokemon wrote:
Ok can we stop trying to get Vic fired from stuff? I actually like him as Broly, and I don't wanna have him replaced the next time Broly appears in the series (which you know he will), I also don't wanna have to have someone else play the parts he's been in just because of some claims with limited evidence. Innocent until proven guilty. Also to whoever posted the video of him visiting the girl in the hospital, he literally visited a sick fan, how can anyone see that as anything other than kind?

Fun Fact: Vic isn't unionized, and every state but montana is a right to work state. So he can be fired for any reason that isn't prohibited by law, or no reason at all. There's no due process or "innocent till proven guilty" that comes in to play here. That's a restriction on the government, not on private citizens, or corporations. He's not owed the job as Qrow, or Broly or Rohan. Perhaps, if he didn't want to lose those jobs, he should've stopped being a sexual predator. *gasp*
Kakegurui

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:00 pm Reply with quote
uncutpokemon wrote:
Ok can we stop trying to get Vic fired from stuff? I actually like him as Broly, and I don't wanna have him replaced the next time Broly appears in the series (which you know he will), I also don't wanna have to have someone else play the parts he's been in just because of some claims with limited evidence. ?

Wow. So selfish. So because he voices your favorite character, it makes it okay and we should forgive him?

Please think of the countless underage girls that's been sexually harassed and abused by this man over a decade.

Pictures and evidences here:

animenewsnetwork.com/interest/2019-01-30/far-from-perfect-fans-recount-unwanted-affection-from-voice-actor-vic-mignogna/.142212
Ashley Hakker

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:04 pm Reply with quote
Sandstar wrote:
Fun Fact: Vic isn't unionized, and every state but montana is a right to work state. So he can be fired for any reason that isn't prohibited by law, or no reason at all. There's no due process or "innocent till proven guilty" that comes in to play here. That's a restriction on the government, not on private citizens, or corporations. He's not owed the job as Qrow, or Broly or Rohan. Perhaps, if he didn't want to lose those jobs, he should've stopped being a sexual predator. *gasp*

In the future, when you try to explain 'the law' to people, you should avoid the critical mistake of confusing 'Right To Work States' with 'At-Will Employment'. So, to clarify, not all US states (Though many are) are 'Right To Work States' which broadly defines a series of anti-unionization laws within those states. And 'At-Will Employment' is the doctrine in employment law where employers can terminate employment without 'just cause'.

Also, as a free lancing contractor, all that is moot, he's not really 'employed' by anybody, he's not 'fired', he's just not going to be offered new contracts for future work.
Utsuro no Hako

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:13 pm Reply with quote
TarsianStryfe wrote:
We have come to a time whete simple the mere allegation is enough to end someone's livelihood, & career. Let that sink in for a moment. All that you have invested in can be taken away from you based on allegation alone.

You gotta love it. For most of American history you could be fired for the mere suspicion of being gay, or a woman who had sex outside of marriage, or belonging to a left-wing political party, but suddenly a dude gets fired for being handsy with teenage girls on camera and it's the end of due process.
cche7

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:24 pm Reply with quote
Kakegurui wrote:
uncutpokemon wrote:
Ok can we stop trying to get Vic fired from stuff? I actually like him as Broly, and I don't wanna have him replaced the next time Broly appears in the series (which you know he will), I also don't wanna have to have someone else play the parts he's been in just because of some claims with limited evidence. ?

Wow. So selfish. So because he voices your favorite character, it makes it okay and we should forgive him?

Please think of the countless underage girls that's been sexually harassed and abused by this man over a decade.

animenewsnetwork.com/interest/2019-01-30/far-from-perfect-fans-recount-unwanted-affection-from-voice-actor-vic-mignogna/.142212

Wow, that is really creepy. I've met him once and I had a strange vibe from him and noticed particular things, especially when he tried to be to friendly with certain people.

Last edited by cche7 on Tue Feb 05, 2019 4:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
GVentola

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:29 pm Reply with quote
In 2017, a guy who was infatuated with me suddenly took my chin in his hands while I was seated next to him, turned my face to him, and kissed me several times on the lips without my consent. I never considered him romantically attractive & didn't like it, and it did effect me psychologically for several months. I thought about telling his boss or the law, but I realized he was a nice guy and didn't mean any harm. A few months ago in 2018, I decided one day to visit him at his place of employment (a supermarket) after a year of avoiding him. I quietly went up to him. He asked what was the matter. Without raising my voice or attracting others' attention to him, I explained what he did to me was technically illegal and advised he not try it with any other women he might meet in the future. He sincerely apologized and asked if we could be friends. I accepted his apology, and I've healed & moved on. That was how I handled it. Not by making it a national/international issue.

-Mod Edit - Removed some content that veered into victim blaming, plus got too graphic.
uncutpokemon

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:31 pm Reply with quote
Kakegurui wrote:
uncutpokemon wrote:

No, I'm saying we should wait until it gets taken to court before we start getting him fired from stuff. And excuse me for not wanting him to be recast from shows that will suffer from quality loss as a result of his recasting.
Hikifroggy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:33 pm Reply with quote
Post- Deleted by me

Last edited by Hikifroggy on Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:27 am; edited 2 times in total
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:45 pm Reply with quote
Okay, so some posts in this thread have gotten a bit, or perhaps more than a bit, victim blamey. Some warnings are going out in private, but let me also say to the thread as a whole, let's not do that, okay. Whether you believe the accusations is up to you, whether you feel the decision to can Vic for them is justified is also up to you, but don't downplay or devalue the experiences people have come forward with.

In addition, there was some talk earlier in the thread about one of the people who criticized Vic also doing gross things. That doesn't make what Vic did right, nor does it automatically make the accusations against him (which are coming from many people, not just the person in question) false. Bad people can criticize bad people. In addition, discussion about what other voice actors did or didn't do is veering off topic for this thread, which is about the accusations against Vic and Rooster Teeth's decision.

Also, like I reminded folks in the other thread, please remember to be respectful when posting in this thread, and considerate of the sensitive issues at hand.
Advent_Nebula

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:46 pm Reply with quote
Ashley Hakker wrote:
Sandstar wrote:

In the future, when you try to explain 'the law' to people, you should avoid the critical mistake of confusing 'Right To Work States' with 'At-Will Employment'. So, to clarify, not all US states (Though many are) are 'Right To Work States' which broadly defines a series of anti-unionization laws within those states. And 'At-Will Employment' is the doctrine in employment law where employers can terminate employment without 'just cause'.

Also, as a free lancing contractor, all that is moot, he's not really 'employed' by anybody, he's not 'fired', he's just not going to be offered new contracts for future work.

I was going to say, Colorado's voters made it so our state is unable to become a "Right to Work" state.
Phraze

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:02 am Reply with quote
Expected a formal statement and apology regarding allegations first. This coming first is ugly. They don't drop VAs without notice I presume, Mignogna probably had room for negotiation and discussion. Stories so far seem bad enough to discourage direct contact though, not drop him entirely from castings.

I don't bother with dub quality, or even know who's who, but listened to Zero and Kasuka in english... Even thought Kasuka's VA did a great job. Gonna appreciate his work regardless. Not the first time I had to separate onstage and offstage lenses (like with Nightwish).
azhanei

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:20 am Reply with quote
Picking up on another comment, what worries me is how binary we've become. Wrongs, intended or not, do have consequences. MIsunderstandings, intended or not, have consequences. All wrongs and misunderstandings, however, are not equal.

I promise you, if you live long enough, you will do or say something to someone with painful unintended result. Good, bad, indifferent doesn't matter. A human being will hurt someone else. And often each other in trying to correct wrongs real and imagined. Being cruel in the name of good isn't good. It's just cruel.

I hurt for anyone who was made uncomfortable or felt violated. Everyone's space should be respected, and not everyone is huggy-touchy. I hurt for a man who's come to realize after so long that he's hurt so many people. It's going to be tough going forward for all involved, and he is and will suffer consequences. But they all deserve to come out the other side.
ConventionThrowaway

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:40 am Reply with quote
This has been a long time coming, and I'm a little shocked it didn't happen sooner.

For the sake of not getting screwed from a PR front I'm posting this from an anonymous account of sorts. I'm not a VA, but I've been a featured guest at multiple conventions annually for more than 8 years now and can say that the stories I've heard about Vic from the VAs and con management in attendance were usually far from flattering. LGBT-allied VAs in particular have had a bone to pick with him for quite some time now, for sure, but there were always new stories every year about how he'd touched, kissed, or groped some con guest inappropriately. The stories never really seemed to result in any action being taken, so I was more than a little happy to hear that consequences are actually happening now.

I never saw him do anything personally, only heard what ran through the VA rumor mill, but given the reactions from some of my VA friends to the news, they couldn't be more pleased with what's happening. It strongly sounds like no VAs are going to be coming to his defense at Funimation in particular, and he probably will no longer be cast in future roles as a result of this all becoming public.
Gemnist

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:56 am Reply with quote
Just so everyone is clear: even if Vic is fired from all of his current projects, they are not going to go back and redub all of his lines. Voice dubbing is an incredibly expensive practice for the small companies that Vic is associated with. If they didn't do it for Scott Freeman and Illich Guardiola, they're certainly not going to do it with the guy that has three times as many roles as they do.

As for the status of his roles, JoJo and Fairy Tail are honestly the only ones to be truly concerned about. While Rooster Teeth is definitely doing the right thing, voice actors get swapped out in RWBY constantly. Additionally, Vic only played Sabo in One Piece on one occasion, with all his other roles in the series being minor by comparison, and we have no way of knowing if Broly will make a return to the Dragon Ball franchise due to Super ending, or whether or not Free will continue.

I also don't think Funimation deserves the brunt of the pressure to fire Vic. While it is true that they have had a long, storied history together, Vic almost never does voice work at Funimation these days. If anything we really should focus on are the Californian studios, as those are where Vic gets the majority of his present work.
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:01 am Reply with quote
Gemnist wrote:
While Rooster Teeth is definitely doing the right thing, voice actors get swapped out in RWBY constantly

Could you expand a bit on this? Have the other primary VA roles in RWBY changed VAs a lot?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 5 of 13