• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Actor Hirofumi Arai Indicted on Sexual Assault Charge

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 3:45 pm Reply with quote
Good, lock this scum up & let him suffer for what he did.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Aresef

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 5:38 pm Reply with quote
First, if he did it, absolutely lock him up and throw away the key (or whatever the law allows)

The line about whether he has admitted or not, though, it's important to remember that the Japanese criminal justice system relies heavily on forced confessions. That's why their conviction rate is so high.

Not like this matters, but I wonder if the June film will be affected.
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 7:55 pm Reply with quote
Aresef wrote:
First, if he did it, absolutely lock him up and throw away the key (or whatever the law allows)

Assuming he confesses / is convicted, I wouldn't expect him to serve that much time (not that I'm at all saying he shouldn't). Japan already has lighter sentences than we have here. His career is dead though.

Since he hasn't confessed, he might feel he has solid ground to fight it. I kind of expect some kind of guilty plea where the prosecutors say they are taking the circumstances into consideration to give him what would be seen here as a slap on the wrist.
unready

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 10:50 pm Reply with quote
Aresef wrote:
... the Japanese criminal justice system relies heavily on forced confessions. That's why their conviction rate is so high....

The Japanese criminal justice system is, like most Asian countries, inquisitional (i.e., assumed guilty, not assumed innocent). That is why their conviction rate is so high.

SilverTalon01 wrote:
Since he hasn't confessed, he might feel he has solid ground to fight it. I kind of expect some kind of guilty plea where the prosecutors say they are taking the circumstances into consideration to give him what would be seen here as a slap on the wrist.

In an inquisitional justice system, you can't "fight" your charges. Inquisitional systems are sometimes described as "guilty until proven innocent," but that's misleading. The defendant gets no opportunity to attempt to prove innocence.

There are no plea deals. You are already assumed guilty as charged. The prosecutors have no incentive to let you plead to a lesser charge. The only "defense" an accused person has is to try to prove that the police or prosecutor violated the Japanese Constitution or committed a procedural error, which virtually never happens.
johnnysasaki

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 11:14 am Reply with quote
very likely he will be replaced as Rhya in Black Clover.Voice-actors have been replaced for much less(Ivankov from One Piece,anyone?)
AmpersandsUnited

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 11:22 am Reply with quote
It's a shame the mangaka and other cast members of the movie he was in have to suffer because of this.
GoddyNee

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 3:54 pm Reply with quote
If this guy was a dub actor, someone would start a GoFundMe or be praising him and saying his victims are all liars...
gloverrandal

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 5:14 pm Reply with quote
GoddyNee wrote:
If this guy was a dub actor, someone would start a GoFundMe or be praising him and saying his victims are all liars...

This is a completely different scenario. Arai's accuser immediately went to the police following the alleged incident and reported him, prompting a full, immediate criminal investigation. She did not wait 20 years and reveal the incident over social media during a hashtag campaign.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1