• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Ascendance of a Bookworm [2019-10-26]

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
meiam

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 10:48 am Reply with quote
Yuvelir wrote:
Like for instance the tiles. What was the deal with them? Fran hurriedly fixes one, but how did that one get lifted? What about the other ones the Head Priest mentioned? Was it because of the trombe that was cut short quite a few meters away? Or was it because the kids were so rowdy that they destroyed the floor? In the end it's just an excuse for the Head Priest to punish Myne, and the direction just didn't care if it made any sense.

What's annoying is that the perfect excuse existed in the story already. Presumably the church ask for donation to feed the orphan. Now imagine you were a donator and one day you pass by the church and you see that instead of a bunch of hungry orphan you find them all throwing food at each others, wasting days worth of found! You'd be mighty pissed and would have some stern word with the church leadership and probably would cut your funding. Considering the kid were literally dying not but 3 days ago, telling them to throw food at each others must been insanely confusing.

You can then branch off in plenty of direction from there, maybe Myne wonder how come the orphan were getting so little food despite the donation, finding out that most donated food was appropriated by the high priest. Or maybe this was actually a plot by the high priest, when he learned about this event he decided to use it to undermine Myne by leaking the information to some of the donating noble.
Kami-koto

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 12:04 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:

What's annoying is that the perfect excuse existed in the story already. Presumably the church ask for donation to feed the orphan. Now imagine you were a donator and one day you pass by the church and you see that instead of a bunch of hungry orphan you find them all throwing food at each others

Tau fruits are basically water balloons and not food. Donations are used for the temple's maintenance and as pay for the blue robes, not for the orphans (at least not directly). The orphans live off leftover food.

Yuvelir wrote:
there's a lack of rhythm among all that, like they were covering a long list of bullet points half heartedly. .

That's exactly what it was. Their plan is to cover 2 volumes in 12 episodes, so they need to finish the first volume by the end of next episode, which is why they're either skipping stuff entirely or summarize them in a few sentences. I guess that's the price for the slower pacing of previous episodes.
meiam

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 12:47 pm Reply with quote
Kami-koto wrote:
meiam wrote:

What's annoying is that the perfect excuse existed in the story already. Presumably the church ask for donation to feed the orphan. Now imagine you were a donator and one day you pass by the church and you see that instead of a bunch of hungry orphan you find them all throwing food at each others

Tau fruits are basically water balloons and not food. Donations are used for the temple's maintenance and as pay for the blue robes, not for the orphans (at least not directly). The orphans live off leftover food.

Even if they're not edible, they still have to be collected/purchased, instead of collecting/purchasing tau fruits they could have collected/purchased actual food (plus it's not like tau fruits actually exist, they could have been edible for the sake of the story). The leftover food the orphan eat has to be initially purchased, it's purchased with money, money that's donated. Meaning a donator would have passed by and realized that part of his/her money went toward obtaining large quantity of inedible fruits for the purpose of wasting it. If Myne tried to retort that they collected the fruits themselves, they could easily return that the orphan could have spent that time collecting edible product instead (and they'd be right).
Probablytomorrow

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 4:26 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
Even if they're not edible, they still have to be collected/purchased, instead of collecting/purchasing tau fruits they could have collected/purchased actual food (plus it's not like tau fruits actually exist, they could have been edible for the sake of the story).

I want to hear more about this paradise where edible food and/or money is as readily available as inedible plantlife - and on a holiday centered around said plantlife, no less! Very Happy
HannoX

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 5:12 pm Reply with quote
To those who feel this episode rushed through or left out things. Yes, but I think I know where this season will end and those events are much more important than anything left out here. The studio will probably take two or even three episodes to deal with them and their fallout. As a result, much less important things have to be left out or rushed through.

It's been made very clear that donations DO NOT go to the orphanage. Blue robes eat first, their attendants next, other gray robes after that and the orphans get whatever scraps are left. It has also been pointed out that since the temple is short on blue robes (many of whom were called back to their noble families) donations to the temple are down. The implication is that the families of blue robes support the temple in a major way and when their family member left the temple donations suffered.

Other than baptism and coming-of-age ceremonies commoners have little to do with the temple, which generally does not have a good reputation with them. So there'd be little reason for commoners to make donations to the temple. Also, the unbaptized orphans are kept out of sight, so commoners would not be aware of their plight. Plus, in a medieval level society such as this most would be living on the edge and would have little or nothing to spare for those not family members or close friends. Think how often orphans are marginalized even today.
meiam

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 6:29 pm Reply with quote
Probablytomorrow wrote:
meiam wrote:
Even if they're not edible, they still have to be collected/purchased, instead of collecting/purchasing tau fruits they could have collected/purchased actual food (plus it's not like tau fruits actually exist, they could have been edible for the sake of the story).

I want to hear more about this paradise where edible food and/or money is as readily available as inedible plantlife - and on a holiday centered around said plantlife, no less! Very Happy

Well our world for one (and therefore presumably the one from the show). Try and buy some inedible food, you'll find out it's way more expansive than edible one.

Let's walk trough this and see what apply to the show. Do city consume more food than they produce? Yes (this also apply to the show). Therefore to feed the city most of the land surrounding the city has to be converted to agriculture. This apply even more to the show world since they lack means of conservation and transportation. Farmer will, obviously, not plant large quantity of inedible product (they would only do so in a very prosperous society, not the one in the show). So most of the area around a city will be not grow any of the tau fruit, this will only be found in a the small area that are still left wild (all this apply to the show). But wild area are not mono culture, they'll grow all kind of product, some edible, some not (although all will be edible to some wildlife) so the amount of tau fruit they'll give will be quite low. Not only that but, like you pointed out, there's an holiday at the moment where people will already be exceptionally fixated on the tau fruits, so most wild area around would already have been picked clean, making those even rarer and forcing the children to go deeper in the forest to collect them, this is very time intensive.

And lets say, against all available logic, that tau fruits are overwhelmingly more common than edible matters. So what? They still have to be either collected or purchased. Donator give money based on the sense of need they obtain from an organism, if the organism is spending large amount of resource on something that doesn't further their stated purpose, donator will reduce their donation in kind. So a noble family that would pass by the church on that day would see that the church is apparently wealthy enough (or have nothing better to do) that they can afford to purchase large quantity of inedible fruits. It's not surprising that some would conclude from this that it would be okay to do reduce their donation.

Let's take two potential donator and compare their reaction, one that does not care and one that does care about orphan starving.If someone does not care about orphan (say they only donate because their kin is part of the church). Well they'll see that the church is spending some of their money on stuff that doesn't benefit their kin (or alternatively that orphan are wasting time collecting inedible fruits rather than becoming better servant for their kin. For someone who care about the orphan going hungry, well obviously they have more than enough, so they can safely reduce their donation to the church.

And beyond all of that, is the overturned tile a better explanation for the event that happened than a donator complaining? Does it make the world richer? Does it afford an occasion to world build? Does it grow any character?
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 8:37 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
Meaning a donator would have passed by

Nobody was just "passing by" where the children were playing out of sight of visitors. That was part of the negotiation for allowing it in the first place, that the children keep out of sight at the temple and not be a nuisance to the townsfolk when out for gathering purposes. That was why they were supposed to clean up afterward, to not be a nuisance, which apparently means orphans should neither be seen nor heard, so that no one has to think about them.
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 8:56 pm Reply with quote
Honestly I don't care if they skip stuff, it's just this "dangle it in front of the screen for a few seconds and move on" attitude that gets annoying.

meiam wrote:
What's annoying is that the perfect excuse existed in the story already. Presumably the church ask for donation to feed the orphan. Now imagine you were a donator and one day you pass by the church and you see that instead of a bunch of hungry orphan you find them all throwing food at each others, wasting days worth of found! You'd be mighty pissed and would have some stern word with the church leadership and probably would cut your funding. Considering the kid were literally dying not but 3 days ago, telling them to throw food at each others must been insanely confusing.

You can then branch off in plenty of direction from there, maybe Myne wonder how come the orphan were getting so little food despite the donation, finding out that most donated food was appropriated by the high priest. Or maybe this was actually a plot by the high priest, when he learned about this event he decided to use it to undermine Myne by leaking the information to some of the donating noble.

Honestly, the donation thing wouldn't work at all, you'd have to change a miriad of details and change some others.
For starters, if someone is making donations to the church is to curry favor, they surely don't care what they do with the money. Even if they do care, they surely don't care about the orphans. And even if they do care about the orphans, they wouldn't be strolling around since they would probably be a noble (and if they were a merchant, they wouldn't be so cocky to immediatly take action. Blue robes are nobles afterall).
Then there's the matter of being visible at all. That would require either for Myne to organize this event without telling the Head Priest or him just letting it happen wherever. Both of these would paint them as more stupid than they are.
And well, the High Priest is too greedy to risk a cash source just to exact pety revenge that won't even deal that much damage.
And even with all those hurdles overcome, the consequences would be quite severe and longterm, more than "Myne collapsed again".

Tiles being shifted is much easier and kiiiinda sensible, it's just that it was presented horribly.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 9:18 pm Reply with quote
I think the main reason he was upset with her was because she didn't quite uphold her end of the bargain, and moreover, he thought she deliberately brought in the trombe so she collect supplies for her paper, which if that were true, would be pretty underhanded using the orphans as cover.
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 2:03 pm Reply with quote
If it weren't for the news about production of this anime being over, the beginning of this episode would have worried me. It was pretty terrible.
Minos_Kurumada

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 4:50 pm Reply with quote
Question:

Who are the 2 characters at the end of the OP?

Main and Lutz as adults?
Kami-koto

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 6:03 pm Reply with quote
Somewhat disappointed. This was a really interesting conflict in the novel, where from the start till close to the end I was rooting for Benno and Lutz and even hoped he'd get adopted cause his family sucks. But his father really turned it around at the end and changed my perspective. Sadly I don't think the anime managed to portray his perspective really well. Mostly seemed like a jerk tbh.

Minos_Kurumada wrote:
Question:

Main and Lutz as adults?

That's really vague. You got a screenshot? If you mean those two black silhouettes (which isn't at the end of the op though) that's (you'll find out at the end of the season) spoiler[Urano (Myne) and her mom.]
blahmoomoo

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 6:09 pm Reply with quote
Kami-koto wrote:
Somewhat disappointed. This was a really interesting conflict in the novel, where from the start till close to the end I was rooting for Benno and Lutz and even hoped he'd get adopted cause his family sucks. But his father really turned it around at the end and changed my perspective. Sadly I don't think the anime managed to portray his perspective really well. Mostly seemed like a jerk tbh.

Indeed. The speed at which this all happened in the anime, to me it felt very premature to try and adopt Lutz. It felt like both sides were wrong, but more so on Benno's side because it felt like the situation hadn't escalated enough to require tearing Lutz away from his family. That's how things end up in the end, but I never really felt like we should have been on Benno's side. Main taking Benno's side before the discussion wasn't enough for me.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 11:56 pm Reply with quote
Minos_Kurumada wrote:
Question:
Main and Lutz as adults?
That's been my working theory as well. The action implies the figures are a revelation or a surprising realization to Myne of something in the more distant future not currently distinct but a possibility taking shape (figuratively). The forceful wind associated indicates the power of fate and the use of backlighting to indicate the future. That the seated figure resembles the figure of Urano in Ep1 could indicate a grown version of Myne and the taller figure I'd say is definitely male which makes Lutz a good guess. The figures are close together indicating close relationship and seem to either turn toward the "young Myne" or beacon to her but either way there is some connection indicated. My secondary theory is that they are Otto and wife but the scene is intended to have a strong visual impact to emphasize importance and those two don't seem appropriate to such a weighting. Being Urano and mom seems not to fit the visual language unless there is the possibility of her returning to our world somehow but I guess we'll see...
JadeDahlia

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 12:43 am Reply with quote
Kami-koto wrote:

I haven't read the light novels yet, so I'm glad to hear this was just an adaptation issue and not a problem with the source material. I was definitely disappointed with the resolution of this episode. I get so fed up with stories that are like 'you have to forgive your family Because Family even if they're unrepentant jerks about it and if you don't you're a Bad Person', especially in situations where the person with grievances against their family is completely justified. Not saying that nobody should ever forgive any wrongdoing from family, just that it's often presented in stories as the only solution, even when the family member(s) who hurt them didn't do anything to earn forgiveness.

I mean, Lutz's parents (and siblings) harassed him at work, in front of his clients, and then they expected him to be the one to apologize about the whole situation.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 18 of 26