• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Castlevania Season 3

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stampeed Valkyrie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2020 10:14 pm Reply with quote
I get the impression that they didn't know what to do with Alucard's character once Dracula was taken care of. His ARC in this season was a disaster, and to make matters even worse the climax of this season.. was literally a climax of another sort and very awkward.

Probably should have ended it at season 2.. don't make this the next Voltron... legendary Dumpster Fire.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2020 10:26 pm Reply with quote
Stampeed Valkyrie wrote:
I get the impression that they didn't know what to do with Alucard's character once Dracula was taken care of. His ARC in this season was a disaster, and to make matters even worse the climax of this season.. was literally a climax of another sort and very awkward.

Probably should have ended it at season 2.. don't make this the next Voltron... legendary Dumpster Fire.

It doesn’t fundamentally hate the thing in it. Say what you will about Warren Ellis and I’ve said a lot, the man gushed about his love of the Hammer Horror films during the NYCC Castlevania panel. He likes gothic horror and adventure, just on his terms. It’s why I want him to end next season because seeing him do Richter or, heaven help us if he got that far, Soma Cruz, would be a disaster.
Minos_Kurumada

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2020 11:32 pm Reply with quote
The problem that had was... it was predictable.

It was obvious the mayor of the town was evil, it was stupidly obvious that those 2 were going to have sex with Alucard and betray him, it was obvious that that girl was going to manipulate Hector into falling for her.

And no super genius 4 girl vampires, creating a human farm it's NOT the great super-plan to end all plans, it was beyond obvious to do, repeating that somebody it's a genius when all they do it's to say obvious stuff it's not a good way to set them as smart.

I am actually surprised they didn't have one.

Isaac's history was the only interesting one, but only because I had no idea of what was going to happen.
Scion Drake

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2020 12:03 am Reply with quote
DavetheUsher wrote:
Scion Drake wrote:
It's not like there's much to have preference over anyway. I recall hearing that none of the era's have much in the way of actual characterization & plot. So this show is the most Trevor & Dracula have gotten in the way of that.

Nah, I wouldn't say that. There's a lot of development for Dracula in the various games, especially Lament of Innocence which is basically his origin story. 3's cast has some clearly defined personality and background stories and traits that were either ignored or outright contradicted in the Netflix version. I mean, we're talking about a show that didn't include the 4th member of the party because a writer didn't like his name. Laughing But we're 3 years into this show now so it's a bit of a dead horse at this point. I just treat it like I do any other Netflix adaption.

If by defined personality & backstory you mean barebones characterization then yeah sure. Castlevania games don't exactly provide you much material for storytelling so you have to write near everything near whole cloth to make an actual show out of it.
Covnam

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2020 2:03 am Reply with quote
While I wouldn't rate it as badly, this was definitely the worst season of the 3 unfortunately. The expanded episode count felt like it was wasted and should have been trimmed (as many netflix shows do when they get too long).

There was also way too much set up for a 4th season (that isn't confirmed yet) and the Alucard arc felt rushed. I don't recall how much time it was supposed to have taken course over, but if it was a similar length to the other arcs, like Lindenfield, then that obvious betrayal happened way too fast. Even if it did take place over a much longer length of time, it didn't feel like it.
This whole arc probably should have just been a single episode flashback in a future episode when Trevor and Sypha meet up with Alucard again and wonder what happened.

It probably would have worked better if they made a Lindenfield a shorter season 3 and then focus on Isaac and Hector in a short 4th season leading in to (a confirmed) season 5 to be released a short time later.
GhostD

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2020 2:51 am Reply with quote
While I wasnt necessarily bored I also wasnt really enjoying it much until Isaac vs Legion and the battle of Lindenfeld. Seriously though the wood whiplash with Alucard, Taka and Sumi and the reveal about the Judge really put me off
ZiharkXVI

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2020 10:36 am Reply with quote
This show is weird. Beautiful animation, yet the voice actors snooze through awful dialogue. Intriguing ideas, and ultimately dumb outcomes. I too thought the worst part was easily Alucard. The strange romping Japanese twins, the awkward sex scene, and the shocking-to-no-one betrayal...bad writing. The other part that brought the show down was with the vampires. They literally explained the plan up front...and it went exactly as planned. Boring (and never relevant to this season). This show is summed up in one word - meh.
El Hermano

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2020 1:31 pm Reply with quote
Scion Drake wrote:
It's not like there's much to have preference over anyway. I recall hearing that none of the era's have much in the way of actual characterization & plot. So this show is the most Trevor & Dracula have gotten in the way of that..

If you like the show, you like the show, but I'm not sure how someone can play Dracular's Curse and Curse of Darkness and then look at both the game and cartoon versions of Trevor, Sypha, Alucard, Hector and Isaac side by side and say those characters bare any resemblance to one another beside having the same names. In the games Trevor is a professional, well articulate pretty boy holy crusader for the church who takes his duties very seriously. In the cartoon he's a drunken, grizzled, dry wit, snarking manchild putting on a Geralt of Rivia impression and seems to not be associated with the church or God in any way. These characters have appeared in multiple games and also manga adaptions and spin offs so there was plenty of material to work with if the writers wanted to, but they chose to do their own thing with these characters and the story.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2020 3:42 pm Reply with quote
El Hermano wrote:

If you like the show, you like the show, but I'm not sure how someone can play Dracular's Curse and Curse of Darkness and then look at both the game and cartoon versions of Trevor, Sypha, Alucard, Hector and Isaac side by side and say those characters bare any resemblance to one another beside having the same names. In the games Trevor is a professional, well articulate pretty boy holy crusader for the church who takes his duties very seriously. In the cartoon he's a drunken, grizzled, dry wit, snarking manchild putting on a Geralt of Rivia impression and seems to not be associated with the church or God in any way. These characters have appeared in multiple games and also manga adaptions and spin offs so there was plenty of material to work with if the writers wanted to, but they chose to do their own thing with these characters and the story.

Given how shaky Castlevania's continuity is makes sense.
doctorx0079

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2020 5:38 pm Reply with quote
El Hermano wrote:
These characters have appeared in multiple games and also manga adaptions and spin offs so there was plenty of material to work with if the writers wanted to, but they chose to do their own thing with these characters and the story.

I think it would be great fun to see that in an anime. Unfortunately they don't care what I want so I think I'll pass. An anime that covers SOTN would probably be even better, but again, the writer has to care about the source material. I still love the "miserable little pile of secrets" line and probably always will.

Actually I wish they had just changed the names and be done with it, like in Final Fantasy anime, since these characters bear little resemblance to the originals.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 12:32 am Reply with quote
doctorx0079 wrote:
Actually I wish they had just changed the names and be done with it, like in Final Fantasy anime, since these characters bear little resemblance to the originals.

They did essentially this with the first Lord Of Shadows.......people bitched about how much it wasn't like a traditional Castlevania game.
Deiser

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 5:48 pm Reply with quote
I've occasionally lurked here but never made an account, and after binge-watching season 3 I wanted to add my two-cents here for the first time

I had gone into the first two seasons already in the mindset that the studio would most likely take a lot of liberties in order to make an interesting story. As a result I enjoyed the first two seasons a ton and REALLY liked how they handled the final battle with Dracula without making him feel gimped. I was naturally really excited for Season 3.

After seeing season 3, I honestly felt like it ended up being a massive waste of time that felt depressing for the sake of it. Isaac's story felt pointless, as there was no real development and ended up just as a progression of his plans in the final episode of season 2 that could have been mentioned in a single sentence. Alucard's story had a touch first half and the twist at the end not only made his arc feel wasted but came out of nowhere. Trevor/Sypha's arc really had no progression (the story has barely moved between the start and finish except to make the perspective more jaded) and they gave a nasty twist to a likable character for no real reason. The only arc that felt like it really moved the story forward was Hector's, and even then it probably could have been done in 2 episodes. Also, the less said about the vampire sex scenes awkwardly put in the middle of battle scenes, the better.

It felt like Warren Ellis was forced to make a full season earlier than he wanted to, and as a result took solid story hooks and stretched them out needlessly thin, and gave an illusion of story progression for the majority of the characters. This season felt like it could have easily been put into 4 episodes, one for each arc, and then the story would have been far better paced and digestible. Instead the pacing is all over the place and felt unnecessary to me.

Apologies for being so negative, but I went into this with extremely high expectations after finishing season 2 last weekend and came out feeling severely disappointed, even after making sure to lower expectations on plot conclusions after the season 4 announcement (after all they won't conclude the series if there's a season 4 in production already in development). I needed to seriously vent about it.

That being said, there were a few positive elements as well. The music was far better now than in the past in my opinion (final season 2 battle not withstanding), and whenever they did have fighting it was still a spectacle to behold. I also like some of the new elements they introduced thanks to a certain Count as it's one of the only major plot points introduced, and certainly hope they continue the arc regarding it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2