• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: SSSS.Dynazenon

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dm
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 5:40 pm Reply with quote
As episode 12 opened I was struck by how static the animation was. Ailing Gauma's full-face filling the screen. The trio kneeling around him, with long periods of dialog and no one moving.

Then, of course, things started happening.

I think Goldburn's form was taken from Chise's tattoo, and that Chise's tattoo was her own art (echoing the intricate designs we saw her doodling in her notebooks in school). Also: what an interesting glimpse of the (next?) Gridman universe as Anti and Anosillus II vanish from this Dynazenon universe.

Yume insisting that Yomogi use her first name, I think, removes any ambiguity about their relationship --- along with the fact that their classmates sent Yomogi off as "the designated Minami-minder".

Tons of fun. Only Trigger can get me to watch these Tokusatsu things.
Amuro1X

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 6:41 pm Reply with quote
7777ale7777 wrote:
So, what was the third thing one's supposed to always keep? ...The friends we made along the way?

Obviously the you're supposed to keep promises, love and spoiler[BABY DAN DAN!]
Koihane

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 12:28 am Reply with quote
7777ale7777 wrote:
So, what was the third thing one's supposed to always keep? ...The friends we made along the way?

I think it should be bonds (きずな 絆 )which pronoused same as 傷きず.
Kicksville

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 12:56 am Reply with quote
And so, with the scars to show for it, they truly became a Superhuman Samurai Syber-Squad
Zeino

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 10:29 am Reply with quote
I'm at least satisfied with the ending, and it was a great series overall. Nice coming of age for Yomogi and Yume, plus Chise and Koyomi.

Gauma is left being little more than an enigmatic force of nature to help the others find themselves, though. More questions about him. But who knows, maybe he'll be back in the next series? Dynazenon looking alive at the end there certainly makes for a possibility!

I saw someone elsewhere say they'd love an OVA episode to show just what the hell was up 5000 years ago too. And I agree, most of the plot threads left hanging were Gauma related. Particularly the Princess thing. So here's to hoping!

So at least one series this season I'm watching left me happy with the ending.
Ryuji-Dono

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 3:22 pm Reply with quote
This was quite an ending actually, one satisfactory for the main characters to an extent.

About Yume, it seems her process of opening up to other people than Yomogi is gradual, right? I heard one user interpret those scenes that she never developed at all when in actuality, changing is a gradual process. Ain't that right?
Covnam

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 4:21 pm Reply with quote
Great final episode. Those scars were a little odd (Yume fell forward, had it on her left side of her leg (basically facing up) then it moved to the front), with the two of them getting a matching set. I wonder if it will be significant in the future...

Quote:
They are together in the formative sense, even if, as with most elements of this story, it's left ambiguous whether they're officially dating or not.

While we didn't see a response for a proper confirmation, Yomogi called her Yume sans honorifics and they were holding hands when they were walking back, so I'd say the chances are pretty high. Perhaps we'll see them dealing with their relationship in the "3rd" season?
Gem-Bug

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 4:33 pm Reply with quote
Covnam wrote:
Perhaps we'll see them dealing with their relationship in the "3rd" season?

If anything, I think we could see Knight, 2nd, and Dynazenon again. But the actual inhabitants of -this- world? Nah, I think we're done here. They've all more-or-less got what they needed to move on with their lives.
zztop

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 10:14 pm Reply with quote
Gem-Bug wrote:
Covnam wrote:
Perhaps we'll see them dealing with their relationship in the "3rd" season?

If anything, I think we could see Knight, 2nd, and Dynazenon again. But the actual inhabitants of -this- world? Nah, I think we're done here. They've all more-or-less got what they needed to move on with their lives.

Agreed. It would be more likely the showrunners will introduce new characters of a new world to bounce off against Knight, 2nd and Dynazenon (who may or may not have Gauma alive inside it).

Also to add, likely we'll see Gridman and the Neon Genesis support weapons again.

Zeino wrote:

I saw someone elsewhere say they'd love an OVA episode to show just what the hell was up 5000 years ago too. And I agree, most of the plot threads left hanging were Gauma related. Particularly the Princess thing. So here's to hoping!

If not an OVA, then perhaps a manga adaptation.
They'll likely approve some manga spinoffs to keep the Dynazenon interest going until the 3rd instalment airs.
Araki

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 9:31 pm Reply with quote
dm wrote:

I think Goldburn's form was taken from Chise's tattoo, and that Chise's tattoo was her own art (echoing the intricate designs we saw her doodling in her notebooks in school). Also: what an interesting glimpse of the (next?) Gridman universe as Anti and Anosillus II vanish from this Dynazenon universe.

That's my take too, and not the other way around. I mean, it makes a ton of sense: Goldburn was born from her emotions (which were implied to be strongly tied to the story behind her covered arm) and then at the end she's finally confident enough to show it again, something that we're led to believe brought her trouble in the past. She seems not bothered anymore by the fact she was never one to fit in, after all, as her comment about school outfits confirms.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5