• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Higurashi: When They Cry – SOTSU

Goto page Previous  

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sven Viking

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2021 10:12 pm Reply with quote
I was late watching the episode. Didn’t expect to come back here to see largely everyone agreeing on it with me. Nice ending after the main conflict was resolved — better than I expected at this point; I just wish the setup had earned it.

Some random thoughts:

I agree with Eua that Hanyuu is boring in this episode, but that’s been kind of a pot and kettle situation with them for some time now.

Rika apologised to Satoko at least once for her crimes of ignoring her at school etc., but Satoko never actually apologises for the [hundreds?] of years of torture and carnage. I agree with Emilia that saying sorry should be the first step towards forgiveness of horrific loop-based atrocities.

The “loopers become allergic (i.e. psychologically averse) to certain things” idea actually makes a lot of sense, and could have helped other things make sense if the story had been set up differently. As it is it just came off as another repetitive “I don’t like studying, therefore disembowelment” excuse.

Nice to see Satoshi, but his continued existence remains utterly and inexplicably irrelevant to the plot.

I agree that too many of the mysteries were already solved by the reveal at the end of GOU to warrant a full-length answer arc. Pacing changes wouldn’t have made everything make sense but it certainly would have made them less irritating.

As others have referenced, the manga adaptation appears to have been diverging significantly towards the end and it does seem like there’s a chance it could head into the resolution more plausibly.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  
Page 13 of 13