• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Netflix's Live-Action One Piece Series Reveals Cast Members

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MFrontier

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2021 3:37 pm Reply with quote
Well, the cast seems excited about the roles and I think Oda was involved in the casting process (which is probably why they match up with the Straw Hats' perceived nationalities), Usopp and Nami probably look the most accurate from what I've seen, but I'm still not sure how this franchise could possibly work as a live-action streaming series.
Sinsekihokimchiansu

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2021 3:45 pm Reply with quote
I can't say I'm excited about this..... I guess I'm gonna wait to see more details Confused
randwt

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2021 4:04 pm Reply with quote
Ataru wrote:
Looking at the sidebar and seeing them get ready for a Gundam movie, something tells me they are not stopping at Bebop and One Piece.

Netflix has nothing to do with the Gundam movie other than having the streaming rights. The movie is a co-production of Legendary Pictures and Sunrise.
k_dawg_3484

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2021 4:21 pm Reply with quote
I kind of feel bad for these kids. This is probably the first big role for many of them, and they've got no chance in hell of this being even decent. Hopefully, viewers know to direct their ire towards Big N and not them. Don't Jake Lloyd these kids.
iamthevastuniverse

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2021 7:31 pm Reply with quote
I guess this is actually happening may check it out down the road.
livin_large

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2021 7:54 pm Reply with quote
Divineking wrote:
I can understand being skeptical about the existence of a live action version of Ine Piece in general because it's hard to imagine that being pulled off well, but I'm curious on what basis a lot of you are saying the casting looks "horrible" because a lot of these actors seem to be relative unknowns (aside from Zoro's who was apparently Enshi in the live action Kenshin films which is probably a promising sign if anything) and the fact that there seems to have some actual deterrence to Oda's proposed nationalities for the Straw Hats instead of just immediately casting the most bankable white actors they could afford means the showrunners might actually care about what they're doing.

Not a lot of fans want to see a Japanese show bing played by white, hispanic, black, or other non-Japanese people and that alone is enough to instantly turn people off. It might be common in American adaptions to raceswap characters, but anime never does that with adaptions so people are used to them sticking to canon.

Not much else to say that hasn't already been said. I can't imagine this turning out good at all if even Hollywood still can't make stretchy rubber powers look good
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2021 9:28 pm Reply with quote
vampiyan wrote:

TBF most superhero movies casting and direction are still objectively terrible adaptions. People can praise and love the MCU as much as they want but as far as being a reflection of the comics Marvel films do an absolute terrible job that rivals the worst live-action anime adaptions out there at its very worst. That's probably why the MCU success hasn't translated into comic sales like successful anime adaptions always boost manga and light novel sales.

Between the fact that American comic books are no longer popular than they used to be ,the fact that the continuity of the books and the movies are considerably different between one another on top of the books being ongoing (well some are) of course there going to be no overlap. The quality of the films have no bearing on this issue.

chronos02 wrote:

I don't remember quite well how Coyboy Bebop was presented at first, but I don't think it was this bad...? maybe...? Or they fixed things with the actors using their costumes, as well as with the teaser...? I honestly didn't have a good opinion of the show at first, with only Ein looking quite fit for the role, and Faye not looking the part at all. Jet... well, looks quite fit, though I don't understand why they had to change him to be from a different ethnicity, makes little sense to me unless it was just for their "equalty agenda" or whatever.

None of the cast had defined ethnicities.

livin_large wrote:

Not a lot of fans want to see a Japanese show bing played by white, hispanic, black, or other non-Japanese people and that alone is enough to instantly turn people off. It might be common in American adaptions to raceswap characters, but anime never does that with adaptions so people are used to them sticking to canon.

???

Didn’t the Fullmetal Alchemist and Attack On Titan Live Action Movie cast an exclusive Asian cast. Two properties that took place in heavily European inspired settings and most of the original cast not being Asian.
lossthief
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2021 9:54 pm Reply with quote
livin_large wrote:

Not a lot of fans want to see a Japanese show bing played by white, hispanic, black, or other non-Japanese people and that alone is enough to instantly turn people off. It might be common in American adaptions to raceswap characters

Yeah I don't buy that. I cannot imagine anybody reading or watching One Piece assumed that the huge cast of this fantasy world - where the "races" are things like Giants, Long-Leg/Arm, Angel, Animal Person, Fish Person, etc - were all ethnically Japanese. Not with names like Monkey D. Luffy or Donquixote Doflamingo. If people are seriously put off entirely because the cast is not solely Japanese or Japanese-American actors, well, that sounds like a problem on their end, not the casting of this project or the franchise at large.
db999

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2021 10:55 pm Reply with quote
Not surprised this is gathering negative reactions, pretty much any American anime adaption gets, but they just released the cast I don't know how people can say they look horrible when they literally just got cast and we don't have any other information. I actually looked the actors up on IMDB just to see what they were in. Inkay Godoy has been in several Spanish or Portuguese language tv-series and movies, Mackenyuu looks like the most experienced actor. He was Enishi in Rurouni Kenshin The Final, as well as Okoyasu in JoJo Diamond is Unbreakable and he was also in Pacific Rim Uprising. I knew Emily Rudd looked familiar I recognized her from Fear Street Parts 2 and 3, and she is a fantastic actress. What a great choice for Nami. Jacob Gibson hasn't been in much but he was in an episode of Grey's Anatomy, The Resident, and All Rise. Taz Skyler has been in the least so I'm not sure about him. The more they release about the show the more I start thinking that this might actually be good. I know right sounds unbelievable, but I do think this could possibly work.

Interestingly when I looked on IMDB they also have episode titles for the entire season. Take the information below with a grain of salt.

Romance Dawn
TBA
Captain of 8000 Men
Cooks of the Sea
A Frog Into The Well
Arms and Sharks
Tangerine Grove
Crewmates
The End and the Beginning
Grand Line

If this information is true, and it might not be, it looks like the season is going to be 10 episodes. The first two episodes will probably cover up to the end of the Buggy storyline, 1 episode for Syrup Village, 2 Episodes for Baratie, 2-3 Episodes for Arlong Park, and then likely 1 or 2 episode(s) for Loguetown and 1 episode for Reverse Mountain.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2021 1:39 am Reply with quote
09jcg wrote:

So yeah, you need more than Alita and Edge of Tomorrow.

Even then, only Marvel movies really get the benefit of the doubt cause they have an earned, proven track record that spans over 30 films. The DCU live action universe is in shambles. Why? Cause a few good movies doesn't erase a lot of the drama and stink behind the failures.
And if you want them to get better at live action anime remakes, more of them have to be made and there's going to be trial and error along the way to get it right. But there will be some improvements too but they're never going to get better if you shoot them down automatically just in the casting phase and it's constructive criticism. Especially when I'm seeing people complain about the cast for silly reasons like Nami's actress not having a big enough chest or whatever.

Quote:

TBF most superhero movies casting and direction are still objectively terrible adaptions. People can praise and love the MCU as much as they want but as far as being a reflection of the comics Marvel films do an absolute terrible job that rivals the worst live-action anime adaptions out there at its very worst. That's probably why the MCU success hasn't translated into comic sales like successful anime adaptions always boost manga and light novel sales. They're as different as night and day and liking one doesn't mean you'll like the other.
The MCU movies are most certainly not objectively terrible adaptations. The Black Panther even won several Oscars and even the most harsh critics will acknowledge that the MCU is successful at what they do. If you think the MCU are bad adaptations, you haven't seen Catwoman or Supergirl or even some non-MCU Marvel flops like the original Daredevil movie.

Quote:
I've never seen Alita and Edge of Tomorrow, or read their source material, but its a bit telling that those two series never got anime adaptions for people to compare them to unless you count the 2-episode OVA Alita got.
Alita never got a full anime adaptation because of the legal rights issues around the live action movie and Edge of Tomorrow has a manga adaptation.
jdnation

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2021 6:43 pm Reply with quote
09jcg wrote:
I dont know why they keep going after these difficult to adapt properties. Black Lagoon is RIGHT there begging for a holywood adaptation. I think hollywood could succesfully adapt anime and manga, they just need to choose things thats in their wheelhouse

One Piece is a bigger brand, larger fanbase, wider worldwide target audience spread, and plenty of merchandising opportunities with plenty of content to adapt for years to come. Black Lagoon doesn't even register in this regard. Also in terms of live-action, Black Lagoon is basically an imitation of stuff Hollywood has already done and therefore doesn't exactly stand out. Besides, if Netflix doesn't do it, someone else will, so they need to get it while the getting's good as plenty of places are interested in grabbing the rights, so it would be stupider to let the opportunity to adapt a big commercial brand slip away to somebody else. Bidding wars always chase the large properties.
Sabruness

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2021 9:50 pm Reply with quote
strawberry_milk wrote:
So... who saw the article and clicked straight to the comments. Mr. Green

Me Me Me! I did. I am not interested at all in One Piece but, man, whenever a new live action adaptation of an anime or manga is announce the commentary and discussion usually ends up more interesting.

Honestly, there are likely very few IPs that could be made into live action stuff that would actually look decent on a decent budget (dependent on whoever is making it). Most IPs either just dont translate well to live action or the budget to do it properly right would be beyond belief.

About the only live action adaptation worth a damn was Alita. I look forward to the inevitable of netflix messing this up and the One Piece fandom exploding.

Someone mentioned Black Lagoon as an IP that could probably be made in live action decently and i agree. It wouldnt be that much different from your usual action movie or tv show, just less squeamish about some things. The only things that could really mess up any hypothetical Black Lagoon live action is:
- being poorly budgeted
- choosing the wrong bunch to make it
- toning it down for squeamish and snowflake sensibilities.
vampiyan

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2021 2:59 am Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
The MCU movies are most certainly not objectively terrible adaptations. The Black Panther even won several Oscars and even the most harsh critics will acknowledge that the MCU is successful at what they do. If you think the MCU are bad adaptations, you haven't seen Catwoman or Supergirl or even some non-MCU Marvel flops like the original Daredevil movie.

An adaption being popular or successful doesn't make it good. Black Panther may have found success with critics and box office results but it's not very indicative of the classic comic books it's based on and many of the characters are either recent additions or completely different than their comic counterparts. Do people remember how badly recieved The Promised Neverland season 2 was and called it a bad adaption? That was still more accurate to the manga than the Marvel movies are to their respective comics.

If that's too vague then maybe an example is in order. The MCU is basically if they made a live-action One Piece show, and the first episode is about Sanji and his origin at Baratie. Just Sanji, no other Strawhats. He fights and deals with Don Krieg and his crew all by himself and the episode ends with him leaving Baratie to find adventure. The second episode is about Chopper doing the same thing with Wapol. The third episode is back to Sanji again and now he's fighting Mr. 2 in Alabasta randomly by himself. The fourth episode is about Usopp saving his village from Kuro. Finally, episode five introduces Moneky D Luffy and goes into his origin and first fight with Captain Morgan. Episode 6 is when they all team up to face off against Arlong. Also, Sanji is the leader of the Strawhats now because his solo episode got higher ratings than Luffy's did so he's a more popular character. Where's Zoro, Nami, and Usopp? Well, Zoro can't show up in the show because his television rights are owned by another company. Usopp is just considered too silly and weird for this very serious adaption so he's just never mentioned. Nami's television rights are also tied up so she can't appear, so instead they replace her with Apis and make Apis a perminate crew member. Oh, Apis was introduced in the second Sanji episode and he recruited her for his team. One might argue doing Arlong arc without Nami is kind of pointless, but that's just the way it is. Sanji, Luffy, Chopper, and Apis team up to form the Avengers/Straw Hats and fight against Arlong and save the island. Now throw in other issues like all the character have different designs, personalities, and powers and it becomes even more far removed from the manga.

That's basically what superhero movies are like. Doesn't mean they can't be financially successful or loved by fans who don't know or care about comics (which admitted is a lot of people since comics are pretty niche) but they are, objectively, bad adaptions. That's probably why manga and anime adaptions are criticized a lot more. We're used to better adaptions that genuinely try to recreate the style, story, and remain faithful to the source material. Why would anyone watch this live-action One Piece over Toei's animated adaption of the manga? The answer is something like this is aimed at people who don't read manga or watch anime, same way comic movies are not aimed at fans of the comics.
RockSplash

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2021 3:05 am Reply with quote
[quote="vampiyan"]
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:

An adaption being popular or successful doesn't make it good. Black Panther may have found success with critics and box office results but it's not very indicative of the classic comic books it's based on and many of the characters are either recent additions or completely different than their comic counterparts. Do people remember how badly recieved The Promised Neverland season 2 was and called it a bad adaption? That was still more accurate to the manga than the Marvel movies are to their respective comics.

If that's too vague then maybe an example is in order. The MCU is basically if they made a live-action One Piece show, and the first episode is about Sanji and his origin at Baratie. Just Sanji, no other Strawhats. He fights and deals with Don Krieg and his crew all by himself and the episode ends with him leaving Baratie to find adventure. The second episode is about Chopper doing the same thing with Wapol. The third episode is back to Sanji again and now he's fighting Mr. 2 in Alabasta randomly by himself. The fourth episode is about Usopp saving his village from Kuro. Finally, episode five introduces Moneky D Luffy and goes into his origin and first fight with Captain Morgan. Episode 6 is when they all team up to face off against Arlong. Also, Sanji is the leader of the Strawhats now because his solo episode got higher ratings than Luffy's did so he's a more popular character. Where's Zoro, Nami, and Usopp? Well, Zoro can't show up in the show because his television rights are owned by another company. Usopp is just considered too silly and weird for this very serious adaption so he's just never mentioned. Nami's television rights are also tied up so she can't appear, so instead they replace her with Apis and make Apis a perminate crew member. Oh, Apis was introduced in the second Sanji episode and he recruited her for his team. One might argue doing Arlong arc without Nami is kind of pointless, but that's just the way it is. Sanji, Luffy, Chopper, and Apis team up to form the Avengers/Straw Hats and fight against Arlong and save the island.

That's basically what superhero movies are like. Doesn't mean they can't be financially successful or loved by fans who don't know or care about comics (which admitted is a lot of people since comics are pretty niche) but they are, objectively, bad adaptions. That's probably why manga and anime adaptions are criticized a lot more. We're used to better adaptions that genuinely try to recreate the style, story, and remain faithful to the source material. Why would anyone watch this live-action One Piece over Toei's animated adaption of the manga? The answer is something like this is aimed at people who don't read manga or watch anime, same way comic movies are not aimed at fans of the comics.

Here is the thingN. One piece is a single story. And adaption that.everyone knows. In comparison, comics have no straight continuity. Characters are rebooted, retooled, and reinvented constantly. How.many times has Jean Gray died in X-men? Your argument is that the MCU is inaccurate because it picks and chooses thing. Comics themselves do that very thing. We never get the exact years of a marvel character, merely vague accounts that can be changed overtime when the next writer hates the previous amount of work. In comparison, Neverland is not the same at all. Neverland was a complete story. Barring opinions on the show itself, you can read all of promised neverland or one piece by starting with chapter 1 and moving on. Now say you can do the same for something like Avengers or Spider-man.
Rentwo

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2021 12:21 pm Reply with quote
RockSplash wrote:
Here is the thingN. One piece is a single story. And adaption that.everyone knows. In comparison, comics have no straight continuity. Characters are rebooted, retooled, and reinvented constantly. How.many times has Jean Gray died in X-men? Your argument is that the MCU is inaccurate because it picks and chooses thing. Comics themselves do that very thing. We never get the exact years of a marvel character, merely vague accounts that can be changed overtime when the next writer hates the previous amount of work. In comparison, Neverland is not the same at all. Neverland was a complete story. Barring opinions on the show itself, you can read all of promised neverland or one piece by starting with chapter 1 and moving on. Now say you can do the same for something like Avengers or Spider-man.

Theoretically there's nothing stopping Marvel from doing an issue-by-issue adaption of the 1963 Amazing Spider-Man comic other than such a long-running action driven cartoon is unprecedent in America. The market of animated shows that aren't aimed at children is very small, and animation aimed at an adult audience that isn't comedy is even rarer At best you would get something like Castlevania which only ran for 32 episodes. That just wouldn't be enough time to tell a story like Amazing Spider-Man, so most western adaptions have to pick-and-choose what to do. Japan has no issue with making shows that run for over a thousand episodes like One Piece is coming up on. Sadly, Japan is the only place that can do adaptions the way they do because the idea of a action cartoon lasting for 600 episodes in America is just a pipedream. I do agree that you don't need to be a straight adaption to be faithful, but I also agree even ignoring that most live-action superhero films don't really reflect their comic book counterpart very much. Animated adaptions make a much better effort on that front, especially the older DC and Marvel adaptions from the 90s and 00s which were probably the closest we'll ever get to a proper adaption of those comic books.

Personally, I feel it's just the nature of live-action adaptions. One needs to only look at the Amazon adaption of The Boys, the Hulu adaption of Runaways, or the AMC adaption of the Walkin Dead and similar shows based on limited-run comic books with a single creator with a set storyline that could have easily been adapted but instead had just as many liberties taken with them as superhero comic movies. Conversely, the animated adaption of Invincible, while far from perfect, is a lot more inline with the comic book and seems to do a much better job adapting the comic from what I've seen. I see live-action adaptions as just a fun what-if. I never expect them to be faithful, or even good. Still, it is a bit of a shame that they seem to dominate the market place here and it would be nice if we got more proper adaptions. I'm not sure how successful Invincible was or how much they plan on making, but maybe it's a sign things are slowly but surely changing.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7