• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Ascendance of a Bookworm Season 3

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fluwm

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 8:36 pm Reply with quote
Leviathonlx1 wrote:
Rogueywon wrote:

I really hope we get a season 4, as spoiler[while there's a natural break-point coming up, it would still be a horrible place to leave the anime.]

Yea I'd hope for a S4 especially since the story really picks up with the next arc.

Right? It's crazy to look at how many episodes there already are and realize they haven't even approached the really good stuff yet.
sadoldguy

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 10:19 am Reply with quote
Bookworm certainly is one of those stories that just gets better and better and better. Strange for a story that started entirely in one room with a sickly child.
yuna49

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 11:13 am Reply with quote
Really curious to see what happens to Dirk. I hope it's just chicken pox which he may survive. His chances would be pretty slim if it's measles or smallpox. Maybe he can be cured with magic? Of course, commoners wouldn't have access to that resource which explains why Myne's parents lost so many children.

Myne presumably understands the germ theory of disease, a concept likely very alien to the culture in which she now lives. Whether she can use that knowledge to help Dirk is an open question.

I wouldn't be surprised if Myne's parents have faced this same situation in the past.
Earl Colby Pottinger

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 11:41 am Reply with quote
I pre-paid for all the LN books, including the ones not scheduled to be released until a lot later this year. I have free downloads and do not have to pay for the story.

BUT DAMN, it is so good I have only one thing to say, "Take my money ,please. Just keep writing!". This is one of the few Mange/Anime/LN that I think is really worth my money.

It is not just the details, it is the careful thoughts in it's development that put it over the top.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 10:01 pm Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
Really curious to see what happens to Dirk. I hope it's just chicken pox which he may survive. His chances would be pretty slim if it's measles or smallpox....
I'm hoping it's just an allergy to goat's milk which could see either Myne "inventing" infant formula or getting a wet-nurse...
poltroon

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 11:11 pm Reply with quote
[quote="HannoX"]
Rogueywon wrote:
Key wrote:

I really hope we get a season 4,

This needs to be one of those anime that gets hundreds of episodes before it ends. There's certainly enough material in the LNs for it.

Completely agree. Everyone in my household is reading (and sometimes rereading) the books, and we bought both the kindle and the physical versions. It's a wonderful story that just keeps getting better. There are some scenes that just SO need to be animated, in what would be S4 and beyond. But the books and anime complement each other very well.
Penrhos

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2022 7:39 am Reply with quote
I love the level of detail Bookworm goes into and that the adaptation hasn't chopped so much out as to break the story.

BTW : Dirk has spoiler[ the devouring.]
yuna49

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2022 2:04 pm Reply with quote
Hiroki not Takuya wrote:
yuna49 wrote:
Really curious to see what happens to Dirk. I hope it's just chicken pox which he may survive. His chances would be pretty slim if it's measles or smallpox....

I'm hoping it's just an allergy to goat's milk which could see either Myne "inventing" infant formula or getting a wet-nurse...

I wondered when that issue came up upon Dirk's arrival if that job might eventually fall on Myne's mom.
Rogueywon

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2022 6:10 pm Reply with quote
Two thoughts on episode 33.

First, the colour palette and BGM are very subdued this week, to the point I had to check I didn't have my monitor still set to HDR mode (where SDR content looks washed out). They're definitely giving a more downbeat twist to the mood.

Second, the post-credits sequence is worth watching carefully this week. I can't remember exactly, but I think it's explaining a concept that the light novels didn't get to for a little while yet. spoiler[I'm not sure they'd have done that sequence if they didn't have the possibility of season 4 in mind.]
Covnam

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2022 2:32 pm Reply with quote
I wonder if the dyes are as much of a trade secret as the paints...
HannoX

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2022 5:20 pm Reply with quote
Earl Colby Pottinger wrote:
I have free downloads and do not have to pay for the story.

BUT DAMN, it is so good I have only one thing to say, "Take my money ,please. Just keep writing!". This is one of the few Mange/Anime/LN that I think is really worth my money.

It is not just the details, it is the careful thoughts in it's development that put it over the top.

I'm doing the same (except pre-ordering). I'm reading it as it's posted on J-Novel Club and buying the Kindle version as a new one becomes available. And of course I have BD of the anime that's been released.

Have to keep supporting such a great story so we'll keep getting more of it and hopefully it'll be successful enough to inspire similar stories with such detailed world building and intricate plotting without the isekai power tripping.
HannoX

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2022 5:23 pm Reply with quote
Covnam wrote:
I wonder if the dyes are as much of a trade secret as the paints...

Probably. They have a guild system and medieval guilds were quite protective of their techniques. It helped insure their members could make a living since they didn't have patent or copyright systems.
MagicianMan

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 1:23 am Reply with quote
I actually lol'd when my man Ferdinand slid in with that "Ya'know, if you hurried up with this adoption thing yourself you could save this cute, innocent babe."

The way he just immediately dangled Dirk as leverage against Myne's decision to postpone her own adoption with a straight face was hilarious.
Dayraven

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 5:16 am Reply with quote
Going back up thread a bit, since I’ve been a bit behind on this series:

Quote:
She is 100% obsessed with books - reading, owning and organizing - she doesn't care about nobility or any other grand isekai MC power trip - her only goal is to become a librarian in a large library, everything else is an inconvenience.

I notice that a lot of Ferdinand’s explanation of the potential social upheavals from printing revolves around his asking Myne what happened in our world at that time. Makes it clear that she knows this stuff, but hasn’t been properly thinking through how it applies to her own actions.
yuna49

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 8:04 am Reply with quote
Dayraven wrote:
Makes it clear that she knows this stuff, but hasn’t been properly thinking through how it applies to her own actions.

Myne's an admirable character but a bit selfish. She's really focused on creating books to satiate her hunger to read. She never thinks about the broader social implications of her actions though she's clearly on a path to upend this world.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 5 of 10