• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Yuri Is My Job! Romance Manga Gets TV Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DRosencraft

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2022 4:54 pm Reply with quote
I haven't read the manga, but the description of the series alone, plus knowledge of how modern anime tend to handle certain things, has a giant, blaring, bright, caution light set up for folks. This screams as a series that one has to come into with an open mind and/or a lot of patience, because of the stratospheric levels of cringe potential. I won't discount the possibility that it is a genuinely good series. But that sort of plot setup is just rife with problems, and even if genuine efforts are made to smooth out some of the predictable issues I've seen other commenters note already, that has the potential of creating a scenario where it's a series entirely of half-measures that no one ends up liking.
Kitsu Kyouno

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2022 5:24 pm Reply with quote
a new yuri anime always welcome
I hope it's not hated just for being yuri Crying or Very sad

FireChick wrote:
Ugh. Didn't like this manga. It was way too mean spirited for my tastes, and it seemed way too happy to shit on Hime for things that aren't even her fault.

that sounds like animes like love hina, bravo girls or any average harem where they punish the boy for an accident but that did not prevent the genre from becoming so famous
Nev999

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2022 6:07 pm Reply with quote
Nothing in 'Yuri is my Job' is even CLOSE to a toxic relationship, there are zero caution lights, people are just intent with labeling any lesbian media that isn't 100% sweetness and fluff as potentially harmful right off the bat, huh. For the record, the premise is the person Hime is paired up with for work doesn't like her and she has to figure out why. There's nothing "toxic" in that dynamic, there's no bullying, it's the contrived "fish out of water thrown into a difficult environment for questionable reasons" bit you see in A MILLION OTHER anime, Hime doesn't have feelings for her (the premise that she 'falls for her' right away in the summary is false), she just hates the fact someone might not like her. Stories usually have conflict.
Rob19ny

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2022 9:08 pm Reply with quote
With all due respect... Mitsuki's design caught my attention. She might be my reason to watch this.
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2022 9:22 pm Reply with quote
Honestly, this sounds pretty hilarious to me. I’ve always been fond of seeing Nanami and Diana types getting their just desserts, but in ways that help them grow into better people, and this sounds like it’ll be pretty much that while also doing to Class S tropes what Ouran did to BL tropes (among others).
Dark Absol

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2022 10:36 pm Reply with quote
spoiler[The real villain is the manager of the cafe. She basically 'forced' Hime to work in her cafe against her will. Hime even said she'll quit working once the manager's arm was healed, but even though her arm was heal, she faked it being hurt (still have arm cast on) so that Hime would work even longer.

That manager of the cafe is a REAL VILLAIN.]
a_Bear_in_Bearcave

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2022 10:07 am Reply with quote
FireChick wrote:
Quote:
Don't get me wrong, I generally enjoy a good yuri story, but it seemed like a setup for a really toxic realtionship.

Yeah. A lot of the first volume consists of Hime messing up at her job and her employers and fellow employees being angry at her over stuff that they themselves never bothered to tell her, and just threw her to the wolves without, y'know, actually bothering to teach her how to do her damn job! I didn't bother reading the rest of the series after that because it just felt way too mean-spirited for me.

Oh God, I hate that, it's a pass from me, I won't even bother to find out if relationship is toxic or not. "Boss angry over employee messing up because she wasn't trained" also happened in the Aquatope anime, but at least it was because the boss girl was inexperienced, employee wasn't manipulated into the work and it wasn't mean spirited, more like they both had to learn how employing a newbie works. Having it happen multiple times to a girl manipulated into work would be like watching Nagatoro consisting only of variations of its first episode. No thanks.
Nev999

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2022 12:21 pm Reply with quote
a_Bear_in_Bearcave wrote:
FireChick wrote:
Quote:
Don't get me wrong, I generally enjoy a good yuri story, but it seemed like a setup for a really toxic realtionship.

Yeah. A lot of the first volume consists of Hime messing up at her job and her employers and fellow employees being angry at her over stuff that they themselves never bothered to tell her, and just threw her to the wolves without, y'know, actually bothering to teach her how to do her damn job! I didn't bother reading the rest of the series after that because it just felt way too mean-spirited for me.

Oh God, I hate that, it's a pass from me, I won't even bother to find out if relationship is toxic or not. "Boss angry over employee messing up because she wasn't trained" also happened in the Aquatope anime, but at least it was because the boss girl was inexperienced, employee wasn't manipulated into the work and it wasn't mean spirited, more like they both had to learn how employing a newbie works. Having it happen multiple times to a girl manipulated into work would be like watching Nagatoro consisting only of variations of its first episode. No thanks.

Nobody gets annoyed at Hime for messing up besides the person who doesn't like her, and her protests are "I don't want to work with this person, I'd rather work alone" rather than "shitting on" Hime (and Hime's friend, also new at the job, does briefly get mad but she's not clearly actually angry at the messing up, it's a...personal thing), and even the person who doesn't like her only gets like this once and afterwards calmly covers for her. It's actually Hime who feels flustered and bad about her screwups, the others aren't harsh on her and cover for her (since it's an acting gig), and her actual boss doesn't do anything at all. I think it's a good idea to watch or read for yourself and see what you think rather than go off other people.
Covnam

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2022 4:11 pm Reply with quote
Sounds like fun, though some of these comments give me pause. I'll probably still check it out though
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2