• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - All-Star Supernerds

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
_V_

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 6:34 pm Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
I actually have some information on Gainax's recent series, and according to the collected Oricon information Panty and Stocking with Garterbelt sold about 2,000 units so it lost money. Hanamaru Kindergarten had less than a thousand sales. I can't even find information on Corpse Princess so Gainax's last hit appears to be Gurren Lagann in 2007.

That doesn't look good, then. And there's always those rumors they're bickering with Khara over merchandizing rights...
v1cious

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 6:57 pm Reply with quote
I'm gonna guess the Gainax flop they are referring to is The Idolmaster anime. That was expected to be a really huge hit for them, and it flopped hard.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 7:00 pm Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
I'm gonna guess the Gainax flop V is referring to is The Idolmaster anime. That was expected to be a really huge it for them, and it flopped hard.

Gainax has nothing to do with Idolmasters, the game is created by Namco Bandai, the first anime was done by Sunrise, and the second anime tv series was A-1 pictures.
Jrittmayer

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 7:51 pm Reply with quote
Any podcast with Mr. Toole on it requires at least 3 listens, 2 with an anime encyclopedia and dictionary on hand.
sailorsarah

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 9:28 pm Reply with quote
Technically my best friend in junior high wrote a U2 fanfiction once, but just on paper.

I am also glad someone mentioned Funimation's terrible subtitle font. It's the only thing I don't like about them.

I would definitely buy Touch. I love it.

I'm really rooting for The Tatami Galaxy to be licensed as well. I thought that show was hilarious and brilliant.
Melanchthon

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 9:49 pm Reply with quote
Good show today.

YES! I have seen 6 Angels! With subs so bad I had to turn them off and watch it raw, which made it so much better! The other shows you guys mentioned, not so much.

On being a fan, the word 'Fan' is a derived from the word 'fanatic', which according to the dictionary:
"a person with an extreme and uncritical enthusiasm or zeal, as in religion or politics. "

That's what a fan is. A fan is someone that cares about a thing for irrational reasons beyond normal bounds. And yeah, people misuse this term a lot.

And finally, I would be perfectly happy to live in a world without any Gundam.
_V_

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 10:43 pm Reply with quote
Jrittmayer wrote:
Any podcast with Mr. Toole on it requires at least 3 listens, 2 with an anime encyclopedia and dictionary on hand.

...that's why I *like* them. I respect the breadth of Mike's knowledge.

There's a lot of "Buried Treasure" classics from back in the day that they just don't make anymore, particular in the creative slump we're facing these days.
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 11:39 pm Reply with quote
_V_ wrote:
Jrittmayer wrote:

...that's why I *like* them. I respect the breadth of Mike's knowledge.

There's a lot of "Buried Treasure" classics from back in the day that they just don't make anymore, particular in the creative slump we're facing these days.

you know what we are getting a lot of really good, smart, and great stuff these days. I would rather have 1 exceptional series per season and 2good shows, then 4 good shows. we just got ano hana, are currently getting penguindrum, had one of the best deconstruction series I have ever seen (yes madoka),garden of sinners, toradora, Spice and Wolf, redline, summer wars was not that long as well, durarara, FMA brotherhood, EVA 2.22 is everything a great no, of course not that would be impossible but you know what we are getting great stuff still, just because it is not mech (which I am a huge fan of) does not mean anime is not doing well, inbetween EVA movies, I actually want to watch my blu-rays of those movies again.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 11:44 pm Reply with quote
It is a little strange that G4 doesn't air those Marvel anime more because they used to run anime into the ground back when they had the Anime Unleashed block. Same with TechTV before it. Then again, that network dropped anime entirely years ago, so I'm guessing they were still reluctant to give anime lots of air time, even with Marvel attached.

I appreciated the Spice & Wolf discussion. I literally just got done marathoning season 2. I was enjoying it so much that I was a bit surprised when I got to end. And like Zac, I really liked the uniqueness of that series. It's actually pretty fun to see a character who's method making money isn't some crazy scheme or high risk profession. Of course, Holo certainly adds appeal too. Smile

Last edited by Greed1914 on Fri Aug 26, 2011 11:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
neocloud9

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 11:45 pm Reply with quote
For the record, my love of G Gundam is entirely sincere. Cool

(I'm one of those kids who grew up with it, so...)
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 11:57 pm Reply with quote
neocloud9 wrote:

It's my favorite Gundam, and one of my favorite anime period. Imagawa worked his ass off on that project, he understands how to setup a villain to show the enemy as a competent opponent and not just a mook with a name. The characters are fantastic, and the Japanese voice work is unreal, it's no wonder that G Gundam is the only other Gundam series to rival the original in homages.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 12:23 am Reply with quote
neocloud9 wrote:

Same here, although I was in high school. Though it was the first Gundam that I watched, so I watched it as an anime I'd never seen, as opposed to another Gundam series. Even after watching several Gundam series, I still like it, and have to wonder, is it so bad to have a series that really deviates from the norm of the franchise when there are so many that stick to it?

On a different note, Justin's mentioning of the death trope made me think of something that bugs me. The minor character that suddenly gets back story part way through the show. It makes it very obvious that the character is going to die, and it doesn't really add much emotional impact. If the character wasn't important/interesting enough to be developed until right before his death, why should I care that they died?
Sanosuke_Inara

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 12:51 am Reply with quote
Jessica Hart wrote:
You'll never see Naruto made in another country, despite it being popular everywhere.
Wo-ho-ho, now--Naruto isn't nearly as popular everywhere as it used to be, and there's just as many people who hate it with a passion as there are who love it. With good reason, too, since the show's mediocre at best.

Jrittmayer wrote:
Laughing

But anyway, this was probably one of the best ANNcasts in a while. I feel compelled to give it another listen, even so soon.
MorwenLaicoriel

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 2:21 am Reply with quote
Messy as-I'm-listening-to-the-podcast responses:

1:30ish--Hey Zac, you said that T&B was one of the shows that ended up being "what I hoped they were going to make" recently. I'm curious, what was the other one?

I have a friend who uses the word "fen" and it always confuses me. She's in her 30s and more of a western (as in, from North America and Europe) sci-fi and fantasy fan than I am, though, so I guess it makes sense. She's also the only person I know that talks about filk.

At first I was going to say "I can't imagine calling yourself a fan of a show just because you find the characters attractive!" And then I remembered that I consider myself a fan of Pretear, and I have to admit that overall I know that show isn't really a great show, it's just entertaining and has some nice bishounen, so...yeah. It has other good points besides that, I think, but not enough to really make it a great show. It's a passable show. With pretty dresses and hot guys.

(...Wow, I wasn't expecting fandomsecrets to come up on the podcast. Honestly I don't understand fanfiction based on real people at all. Creeps me out.)

I watched some of Amazing Nurse Nanako with my brother and his girlfriend. It was bad enough that it was hard to make fun of. They told me there was one episode that was actually entertaining but it was one they watched when I wasn't around.

I didn't see Casablanca until I took a film class but I actually thought it was a really enjoyable movie! But then again I partially took the film class because I felt like I didn't know as much about American cinema as I did about animation (anime included) so maybe I just haven't seen enough movies that copied it. (Or maybe I'm just the exception that proves the rule or something.)

On obscurity: even for stuff that gets subbed in one way or another, I think these days there's so much available online that it's possible for a show to be obscure just because it got buried alive. (Particularly if the show is sort of forgettable or just plain bad.)

Quote:
Presumably they try to ignore that for years Kyoto Animation made nothing but anime made at moe fans.

Wait, "for years [...] made nothing" implies they've EVER made stuff that wasn't aimed at moe fans besides Full Metal Panic.

Quote:
You'll never see Naruto made in another country,

Isn't Avatar:TLA basically a shounen-esque show like Naruto? I mean, they've got different plots and settings overall, but they're sort of the same basic idea about a young boy going on a quest to become stronger to fight against a great evil etc etc. Actually I don't think that concept is all that unusual in US cartoons, other than our cartoons are more likely to be episodic (Although to be fair, I haven't seen THAT much of Naruto so maybe I don't understand what makes it "unique". What I saw seemed awfully generic though.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Jessica Hart

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 3:04 am Reply with quote
Sanosuke_Inara wrote:
Wo-ho-ho, now--Naruto isn't nearly as popular everywhere as it used to be, and there's just as many people who hate it with a passion as there are who love it. With good reason, too, since the show's mediocre at best.

That's understandable... it's cool to hate things that are popular, after all Razz

But seriously, despite it being a worldwide hit, no country has really been able to replicate it or anything similar to it on a global scale; in terms of writing or anything of that sort. You can replace it with any kind of long running shounen if you want if you don't like Naruto.

MorwenLaicoriel wrote:
Isn't Avatar:TLA basically a shounen-esque show like Naruto? I mean, they've got different plots and settings overall, but they're sort of the same basic idea about a young boy going on a quest to become stronger to fight against a great evil etc etc. Actually I don't think that concept is all that unusual in US cartoons, other than our cartoons are more likely to be episodic (Although to be fair, I haven't seen THAT much of Naruto so maybe I don't understand what makes it "unique". What I saw seemed awfully generic though.)

Well if you boil it down to the most rudimentary concept then sure, you can get a show about 'a kid who does stuff' in just about any country in the world, but it's the execution and content that separates them. I mean, just compare those two. What's appropriate in terms of violence is like day and night (Avatar couldn't show people getting punched or anything.. while Naruto has guys getting their heads/limbs chopped up and beaten to a pulp/stabbed) Or in terms of the writing, you have the 'good guys' in Naruto assassinating innocent people in cold blood and all kinds of morally ambiguous things that would never fly in kid's shows here.

Or for another example, Detective Conan being a kids show in Japan that routinely deals with gruesome murder cases of men, women, children, animals, and other horrible things. The most Scooby Doo does is a guy in a mask who wants to like steal the deed to a property or something. Razz No way you could make a show like Conan here (it had to be stuck on at like 2AM on Adult Swim) Despite them both being 'mystery cartoons' they're not comparable at all.

Plus general things some people take for granted like actual good music, opening and endings (multiple ones that change as the show goes on, no less), eyecatches, next episode previews, omakes, and all that stuff. Basically, if you wanted to make a show like that here, you'd be out of luck since you have to conform to kids network regulations in terms of not only censorship and stuff, but also the way cartoons are made (seems like networks are trying to abolish theme songs all together these days to make way for more commercials.. Cartoon Network limits them to like 10 second melodies ... Sad I know Greg Weisman who made the current Young Justice cartoon said something similar in an interview how opening themes are a thing of the past)

But probably the best example is how people complain about moe or whatever a lot, but did you know pretty much every show pitched to the networks that features a female is shot down in America outside once in a blue moon? You should be thankful Japan has no problems letting a female star in a cartoon. Confused I know I am. if I wanted to make a show with a female lead, Japan is pretty much your only option.. So yeah, I still say you'd never find just about any anime be able to be made in another country just because of the way animation is viewed in the west compared to Japan. And saying that only applies to a few things like Redline seems really inaccurate. That's why I still prefer anime over everything else, because despite 'Generic Harem #231' that people complain about and how it might be generic to them(and you ignore the obvious hyperbole people love to throw around when it comes to previewing new shows each season) it'd be like a revolutionary show if it was made in any other country just because of how many taboos it'd break in the west. Smile
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 2 of 8