• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Introductions / Meet ANN / Tell us about Yourself (w/ index).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DavidShallcross

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 1:12 pm Reply with quote
larinon wrote:
It's because it's a Latin second declension neuter noun that the pluralization is fora instead of forums, right? Am I right?

That's nominative and accusitive plural, but shouldn't "Welcome to the x" take the dative case? So, it should be "Welcome to the forīs".
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 2:08 pm Reply with quote
nbahn wrote:
egoist wrote:
Surrender Artist--
Welcome to the fora! Anime catgrin Cool Anime smile Smile Very Happy

To anyone who does not "get it": Please be advised that that this is an inside joke.

Masakaki wrote:
Eveamlizya--
Welcome to the fora! Anime catgrin Cool Anime smile Smile Very Happy

+1

Now others are stealing your bit young grasshopper. You must defend your honor and the skills I have taught you! Sorry, watched the remake of Karate Kid last night.
larinon

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 2:25 pm Reply with quote
DavidShallcross wrote:
That's nominative and accusitive plural, but shouldn't "Welcome to the x" take the dative case? So, it should be "Welcome to the forīs".

Excellent point. We could say "The fora at ANN are awesome" but to use it as the object of a preposition is a different matter entirely, thus the dative case.

I admit, it has been 14 years since I last studied or received any instruction in Latin.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Nemo of Mentis

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 5:19 pm Reply with quote
I don't think I ever did this.

Name: Nathaniel Mollen. Known as KonoBaka, Nemo Mentisson, and SeñorNemo in other parts of the internet.
Sex: Male
Blood type: Blu...you know what, nevermind.
Marital status: Single.
Religion Philosophy: Aethiest, transhumanist, rationalist, among other things.
Drink/smoke: Neither.
Likes: Art, Writing, Philosophy, Film, Music, Photography, Running, Games, Linguistics, History, and naturally, Anime.
Dislikes: Irrationalism, mental state ethical theorists, and myself.
Favorite anime: Neon Genesis Evangelion, Puella Magi Madoka Magica, Legend of the Galactic Heroes, Ghost in the Shell, Patlabor 2, Interstella 5555, and...M.D. Geist =P
Favorite manga: I need to read more, but Akira and Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou are both pretty great.
Favorite novels: Ender's Game, 20000 Leagues Under the Sea, The Hobbit/The Lord of the Rings, Master and Commander, and the collected short stories of Arthur C. Clarke.
Favorite games: Mass Effect 2, Starcraft, Ace Combat, Portal, Civ 4, Touhou, TES V Skyrim
Favorite TV series: Battlestar Galactica, Star Trek: Deep Space 9, Firefly, The Daily Show, and Whose Line is it Anyway
Favorite music: Ludwig van Beethoven, Antonin Dvorak, Junnya Ota, Daft Punk, Justice, Mihey i Jumangee, The Jazz Messengers, Demetori...too many.

Fun facts:
>I'm a philosophy major...wait, you said fun facts. (But seriously though, philosophy is fun.)
>I'm minoring in creative writing, film studies, and Japanese. Those are more fun sounding, right?
>For an anime fan, I sure watch anime pretty slowly.
>I'm one of those guys who just loves the rain.
>I'm also one of those "lazy perfectionist" sorts. This has bit me in the ass on numerous occasions.
>I play tabletop RPGs, design lego models, and plan out constructed languages for fun.

よろしくね。
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 7:18 pm Reply with quote
Nathaniel Mollen--
Please accept this belated welcome to the fora!
--Nate B.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 12:11 pm Reply with quote
Nemo of Mentis wrote:

Favorite anime: and...M.D. Geist =P

+5 points for you for even knowing the title lol.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 3:49 pm Reply with quote
Nemo of Mentis wrote:
Dislikes: Irrationalism, mental state ethical theorists,

Might I ask why you hold such an attitude? The Humean tradition is quite diverse, and in recent decades we have seen the flourishing of expressivist frameworks that meet all of our intuitive demands concerning the normativity of first-order judgements. (My personal research interests concern the rare occasions in which something of a similar vein is penned in aesthetics.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Nemo of Mentis

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 5:50 pm Reply with quote
Thanks y'all.

Zin5ki wrote:
Nemo of Mentis wrote:
Dislikes: Irrationalism, mental state ethical theorists,

Might I ask why you hold such an attitude? The Humean tradition is quite diverse, and in recent decades we have seen the flourishing of expressivist frameworks that meet all of our intuitive demands concerning the normativity of first-order judgements. (My personal research interests concern the rare occasions in which something of a similar vein is penned in aesthetics.)
I was mostly joking, I don't actually hate all MSTs on principle, and in fact I have read some very interesting accounts on how they function (especially, as you say, in recent decades). I simply find most of them unconvincing because they mostly seem incomplete in justifying why mental states should be a metric at all, besides for commonality to humans. While commonality points to significance, when you go to derive why it has significance, you end up having to work backwards towards establishing a metaethical foundation for why it's so. From such a metaethical foundation as I believe you'll find, I think you'd also find deriveable not only other goods, but other goods that are even more basic than mental states. In other words, such arguments need to do more work than they actually do, generally.

That, and the utilitarian varieties can get so demanding to the point where they no longer seem useful as an ethical theory because there is no plausible way to apply them. For instance, Singer's notable piece Famine, Affluence, and Morality, while interesting in its attempt to reevaluate utilitarianism in the context of modern premises, fails rather spectacularly in this regard for various reasons, but which I won't get into here for the sake of not going too off topic in the Introduce Yourself thread on an anime board.

Then again, I suppose that I have an unspoken premise that an ethical system has to be somehow useful to be a valid account, which is probably pretty hard to justify as well. Eh, c'est la vie.

Addendum: Actually, I like reading Singer just because he's one of the few philosophers, like, ever, who can actually write in a way that isn't completely obtuse. I'm currently trying to get through a piece by Bennett on "positive and negative propositions." Fuuuuuuuuuuu〜

Last edited by Nemo of Mentis on Sun Sep 30, 2012 9:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Errinundra

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 8:40 pm Reply with quote
Forgive the name dropping but I once had lunch with Peter Singer, in a cafe here in Melbourne. I'm not a philosopher but I like the way he attempts to base a system of ethics on rational principles, rather than faith. It's partly because of him that I've been a vegetarian for over twenty years.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Nemo of Mentis

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 8:57 pm Reply with quote
errinundra wrote:
Forgive the name dropping but I once had lunch with Peter Singer, in a cafe here in Melbourne. I'm not a philosopher but I like the way he attempts to base a system of ethics on rational principles, rather than faith. It's partly because of him that I've been a vegetarian for over twenty years.
Dude, I am jealous. That is seriously legit.

Yeah, most philosophers strive for a rational basis for ethics. Kant was the first to put it quite in those terms, but he certainly wasn't the first rational ethicist. Funny how Kant and Singer are pretty much at polar opposites of the spectrum =P
MadShadow42

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 1:48 am Reply with quote
* Blows up the front door with his mind *

Good day fair folks of ANN. I am the Gentleman of the Night. I'm not part of too terribly many forums, so I haven't had to introduce myself in awhile, but here goes.

Name: Matt Von Gonten (Yes, that's two parts of a single surname); Just call me by my username

Blood Type: What interest would I have in my own blood?

Hometown: Temecula, CA

Beliefs: Apatheistic (I don't concern myself with rationalizing the imperceptible)

Likes: Literature, film, fiction in general, intelligent discussion, splitting hairs over semantics (my guilty pleasure), cooking, running, exploring nature, and obviously anime.

Dislikes: Wasting time on things that are neither productive nor amusing, Also you, if you get on my bad side.

Favorite Anime: Haibane Renmei, Wolf's Rain, RahXephon, Time of Eve, Fullmetal Alchemist, Cowboy Bebop, Revolutionary Girl Utena, Baccano, Puella Magi Madoka Magica, Princess Tutu, Trigun... to name a few

Favorite Manga: Haven't read many manga, but off the top of my head Berserk, Fruits Basket, Yokohama Shopping Log, Monster, Mushishi

As for what kind of person I am, well... you'll have to get to know me to find out.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 2:32 am Reply with quote
How can I not greet someone who announces themself as the Gentleman of the Night, and blows things up with their mind? Welcome to the forums MadShadow42, or what ever the word used by the other poster that I suspect is not real.
st_owly

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 6:54 am Reply with quote
Eh, I thought the dative of forum would be foro...
DavidShallcross

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:52 am Reply with quote
st_owly wrote:
Eh, I thought the dative of forum would be foro...

That's dative singular. Dative plural is foris, at least if I believe Wiktionary. But I've never studied Latin, so I could be wrong.
Errinundra

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:31 am Reply with quote
My Wheelock's Latin Grammar confirms it as foris.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 161 of 233