• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - The Best of the Rescues

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kyokun703

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 10:31 am Reply with quote
Pretty much agrees with my thoughts (excluding Higurashi, but that's just because gore isn't my thing). ParaKiss, Saiunkoku, Black Lagoon are all on my shelves, and I can't wait to finish the latter two titles. Fate/Stay Night I passed on the first time around, but it's somewhere in the middle of my Netflix queue. Shounen Onmyouji (which I also own, and waiting to finish collecting), while I really enjoyed it, and yes, I did cry in the last episode, I agree it is slightly weaker than the four Shelf Worthy, although it's definitely a high Rental (note: I have no regrets on buying this series).

Good column. Can't wait until Funi starts releasing the Geneon titles so I can fill my art boxes!

Last edited by kyokun703 on Mon Jul 07, 2008 10:55 am; edited 1 time in total
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 10:39 am Reply with quote
Quote:
And lastly, I feel almost obligated to watch Shonen Onmyoji since it's made for the Naruto/Bleach crowd. I've been a fan of Naruto since the beginning and Shonen Onmyoji seems right up my alley. ^^

Trust me! You'll love this! It's an awesome series! I watched the whole series RAW and subbed ever since the first day it came out! Very Happy Very Happy
EngrishFan

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 10:45 am Reply with quote
Higurashi review wrote:
What makes it work so well is that every arc is preceded by a scene that shows you exactly how the final death will play out.

Actually, this only happens for the first story arc (of the first season of the show, anyways. Haven't seen all of the second season yet so I can't comment on that). For example,spoiler[while the second arc's opening death does technically occur within the arc, we don't actually see it again until the middle of the fifth arc.]
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:14 am Reply with quote
Paradise Kiss is ok, while you're waiting for Viz to release Nana, but otherwise not very memorable. Its main advantage is it's less bipolar than its manga counterpart.
Roguespider

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:25 am Reply with quote
Bamboo, I totally agree with you on Saiunkoku. I had been waiting for someone to license it and then was mad when Geneon stopped after 2 DVDs. I think it was Zac in his Answerman column that said while Hellsing and Black Lagoon had a guarantee rescue, Saiunkoku probably wont' get picked up, glad to see that he was wrong.

I will admit Saiunkoku is definitely a series made for girls, but I still think some level headed guys would watch it (like myself). If a guy can either look past or ignore the fact that most of the characters are pretty-boys, its a very enjoyable series with plenty of intrigue. Shuurei's family still confuses me. To anyone who likes this series, I would strongly recommend Fushigi Yuugi. Just try to ignore the constant mentioning of the names Miaka and Tamahome. The first picture of Saiunkoku I saw I thought was some other anime characters dressed up in outfits from FY.
bci110

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:47 am Reply with quote
animemaniac14 wrote:
wheree are the pics of collections this time round?

I think this was a special occasion because of the FUNi/Geneon announcement at AX.
Alestal

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 12:07 pm Reply with quote
So they are going to be producing more Paradise Kiss dvds? Thank god. I've been looking for them everywhere! But they are all gone, and I don't even think they produced a Volume 3 on a large scale.
bci110

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 12:40 pm Reply with quote
AnimeNation posted the FUNi/Geneon release schedule on their blog:

August 19: Black Lagoon Season 1, Black Lagoon Second Barrage Vol. #1, Elemental Gelade Vol. #1

September 2: Karin Vol. #1-4, Kyo Kara Maoh season 2 volumes 1-7

September 16: Shakugan no Shana boxset, Rozen Maiden boxset, Black Lagoon Second Barrage Vol. #2, Fate/stay night boxset, Hellsing Ultimate Vol. #1-4 (regular and limited editions)

September 23: Kamichu and Paradise kiss complete sets

September 30: When They Cry Vol. #1-4

This is the initial wave. More to be announced at a later date.

Last edited by bci110 on Mon Jul 07, 2008 1:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
itsathea

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 1:03 pm Reply with quote
I am definitely excited to hear the news that Paradise Kiss has been picked up. I've been looking for the dvds all over the place and they are either out of stock or back ordered until oblivion.

So exciting!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 1:09 pm Reply with quote
Awww! No Shounen Onmyouji!? Waaah!
posterior_praiser

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 2:15 pm Reply with quote
I can't stomach higurashi, so ill pass on that one, but the rest sound good, I never finished paradise kiss, or nana @.@ maybe I should Anime hyper!
minakichan

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 2:34 pm Reply with quote
WHY DO BAMBOO'S OPINIONS ALWAYS MATCH MINE? Does this make me awesome?

Saiunkoku... I agree, that's what I'm looking forward to the most. It's a lovely series...
Mistress9
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 3:23 pm Reply with quote
bci110 wrote:
AnimeNation posted the FUNi/Geneon release schedule on their blog:

August 19: Black Lagoon Season 1, Black Lagoon Second Barrage Vol. #1, Elemental Gelade Vol. #1

September 2: Karin Vol. #1-4, Kyo Kara Maoh season 2 volumes 1-7

September 16: Shakugan no Shana boxset, Rozen Maiden boxset, Black Lagoon Second Barrage Vol. #2, Fate/stay night boxset, Hellsing Ultimate Vol. #1-4 (regular and limited editions)

September 23: Kamichu and Paradise kiss complete sets

September 30: When They Cry Vol. #1-4

This is the initial wave. More to be announced at a later date.

Thanks for the information, Wow Rozen Maiden and Fate/Stay boxsets, hmmm I might have to pick those ones up, but I must say that I am a bit disspointed they are releasing Kyo Kara Maoh season 2 in singles and not a boxset, but I will still pick some of them up. Wow Funi is going to be getting alot of my money in the fall, since I am also going to be getting the first Ouran Boxset.
CloverKuroba

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 3:32 pm Reply with quote
I definitely need to pick up that ParaKiss boxset. And I'll keep out an eye out for Saiunkoku, I've been meaning to check that series out.
bci110

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 3:37 pm Reply with quote
Mistress9 wrote:
Thanks for the information

Cool No problem. I actually first saw it on the AoD forum and decided to post it here for those that don't browse that forum. From this list, it looks like the higher-profiled titles such as Black Lagoon and Hellsing Ultimate got top priority over some of the others. But I'm really impressed that FUNi & Geneon were able to come up with a pretty efficient release schedule in my view.

As fas as the Rozen Maiden boxset is concerned, I assume that's for the first three volumes of the series and doesn't include Traumend - at least that's what I hope.

I guess that FUNi and Geneon are currently working on a reasonable way to release both Saiunkoku and Shounen Onmyouji so that's probably why they're not listed on the August/September schedule. Perhaps October at the earliest we might see them (as well as Traumend).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5