• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Favorite Anime Intro and Ending Song!!!

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Music
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Toboe06

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 10:21 pm Reply with quote
hmmm......

I guess "Stray" from Wolf's Rain, because that's obviously my fav show, but it has a great layout with harmonies that tend to string together. ("Tank!" is a lot of fun too, just a great jazz tune). Ending theme would be "Phase shift" from Gundam SEED. It's a catchy little techno/dance thing.
anime_kid

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 11:40 pm Reply with quote
my favorit inrto has to be cowboy bebop "tank". the jazzey tone and the comic like affixes make it one cool intro. also the "tell me why" inrto from berserk by the PENPALS
was great. the music fit the inrtos art well. the hellsing inrto was alsome. the graphitic irton mixed with the hard-to-under-stand words make it hands down one of the best irtons. the naruto 2nd opening song ""the far far side/Haruka Kanata"" was great.

the best outro would be Furi Kuri. the song "ride on a shooting star" by "the pillows" was one of the greatest outros i have ever heard. it had a nice beat,the singing is percert (even tho you could not under stand what he was saying) cowboy bebops end song "the real folk bules" by the "seltbelt's tim jenes" was perfice. now too low, but no too high. (sorry for all the misspells)
Nagisa

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2004 12:02 am Reply with quote
Toboe06 wrote:
Ending theme would be "Phase shift" from Gundam SEED. It's a catchy little techno/dance thing.

There was no end theme for SEED by that name. The only thing I remember with "Phase Shift" in the title is the "Phase Shift Armoured Version" remix of the first opening theme, "Invoke." That was the ninth track on the "Complete Best" CD.

The three songs used as ending themes were "Anna ni Isshou Datta no ni," "River," and "Find the Way," in that order.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
NetDiver

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2004 5:01 pm Reply with quote
Favourite opening and ending song. Not a tough question, but these tend to change pretty often. These are my favourites at the moment.

Opening - "The Light Before We Land" by The Delgados from the anime Gunslinger Girl. Absolutly beautiful song. Has a sort of James Bond'ish feel to it and great lyrics. Suits the show almost perfectly. Liked the song so much that I bought The Delgados's album Hate which contains the opening song. The band isn't japanese by the way, it's from Scotland, Glasgow.

Ending - "Over The Sky" by Hitomi from Last Exile. Don't really know why I like this song so much. One of the best ending song ever and suits the show quite nicely.

Last edited by NetDiver on Sun Oct 03, 2004 7:28 am; edited 2 times in total
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2004 7:30 pm Reply with quote
Must it be a song with vocal? It just happens to me that all my favorite OP themes are instrumental. Wink Probably due to my upbringing in classical music (I've been playing piano for eight years), music (especially classical or classical-styled) has much more impact to me than lyrics do, and I can't fully understand Japanese lyrics anyway. Razz

"空から降ってきた少女 (Sora kara Futtekita Shoujo; The Girl Who Fell from the Sky)" from Laputa - Castle in the Sky was my first experience with Joe Hisaishi's music, and I was deeply moved. His most epic and dramatic work is "アシタカせっき (Ashitaka Sekki; The Legend of Ashitaka)" from Mononoke Hime, bearing his signature: fluidic yet sorrowful music that echoes within your heart.

IMHO the best of non-Hisaishi, non-Miyazaki OP themes are from Juuni Kokki and Haibane Renmei. The first half of "十二幻夢曲 (Juuni Genmukyoku)" is slow and purely Chinese-styled with high-pitched Chinese flute, but its latter half, as well as "Free Bird" from Haibane Renmei, are fast-paced 6/8 beats with strong Gaelic impression. While the latter half of "Juuni Genmukyoku" stirs up your blood, "Free Bird" brings peace to your mind.

As for ED, the best IMHO goes to Miyazaki's as well, but not from Hisaishi: "時には昔の話を (Toki ni ha Mukashi no Hanashi wo; Once in a While, Talk of the Old Days)" written, composed and performed by Tokiko Kato. Extremely nostalgic and melancholic; I can't squeeze more words for this masterpiece.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Sarki-Kun

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2004 4:20 pm Reply with quote
Looks like I forgot to tell my favourite Ending song. Ok, it's probably Tooi Sakebi, from Lain.

First of all, what the song says (lyrics, translation) is such a touching words, dealing with everyone who's listening to them (and knows what are they saying). Furthermore, the kind of sadness it has, with that guitar (well, or bass, or whatever it is, I'm not good at music Anime hyper) makes it even looks better. The way that the artist sings...I love it all^^
Osaka

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2004 8:50 am Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
Must it be a song with vocal? It just happens to me that all my favorite OP themes are instrumental. Probably due to my upbringing in classical music (I've been playing piano for eight years), music (especially classical or classical-styled) has much more impact to me than lyrics do, and I can't fully understand Japanese lyrics anyway.

You know what I have to agree. That post reminded me of one of my alltime favourites, the Spirited Away instrumental. It was absolutely breathtaking, I didn't know how Hisaishi sama could come up with something so clever and beautiful.Anime cry It's a good example of how you don't need a song to be upbeat to be catchy. Wink
Also on a side note, I saw this on the Spirited Away bonus features on the special edition disk, it was a behind the scenes of Studio Ghibli when they were working on Spirited Away and it mentioned that the song played during the closing credits ("Itsumo Nando Demo" by Kimura Youmi) was partly inspirational for Miyazaki sensei. She sent it in to him for a movie they were working on that was about a chimney sweeper but that movie never made it. Yet Miyazaki sensei decided to use it for Spirited Away because it captured the essence of the film very well and he played it repeatedly while working late at night in the studio. It's nice to see less well known singers get some of the spotlight Wink
Key

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 1:21 am Reply with quote
For greating ending themes, it would be very hard to beat Love Song by Tomoko Tane, the haunting, moody closer for Gasaraki (which is also paired with some of the best closing visuals for anime).

Ai Ga Oshiete Kureta by Houko Kuwashima, the ending theme for Blue Gender, is another example of a great song paired with great closing visuals (though I think the dub version is a little better).

For openers, I always sit through Mirai no Kioku, the opening theme for Kiddy Grade, because it's a good song whose lyrics so perfectly foreshadow the series. Eternal Flower, the opening theme for the first season of Ai Yori Aoshi, is one of the best examples of an opening theme being used to set the tone for a series (and it's a damn good song besides that). And I'd be remiss if I didn't mention Yakusoku wa Iranai from the opener to Visions of Escaflowne, which is one of the most joyous sings of any type that I've ever heard and, again, a good mood-setter for the series. Or Obsession from the opener to .hack//SIGN, again because it's a great upbeat number which is good at setting mood.

And of course you can't forget Thesis of a Cruel Angel from Neon Genesis Evangelion, but that one should be obvious. Cool

Both the opener and the closer for both Scrapped Princess and Excel Saga also deserve mention, the former because they're great tunes that fit well with the series and the latter because they're two of the funniest and most offbeat openers/closers you'll ever see.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
kadoman

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 7:57 am Reply with quote
Oh man...I am so surprised that no-one has mentioned the opener for Trigun! It's a rock/funk fusion that I adore! It's fun, it's gritty, it's raw. In fact, I've whacked on that entire CD at parties and everybody always asks who the band is! bwhaha!

The other opener I like is from Hellsing. Don't know what it's called, since the title on the CD is in Japanese but it's one helluva smooth Glam Rock track with T-Rex style vocals - again goes down a treat a social gatherings! Laughing

Lately I've been tapping my foot to Peacmaker Kurogane's Ending theme Hey Jimmy by HAV. It's another fun track with a nice guitar riff and a curious early Greenday vibe. Whoo!
Cloe

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 4:20 pm Reply with quote
opening song--
Yakusoku wa Iranai from Escaflowne. Maaya Sakamoto has a very pretty voice, and this song is just uplifting in general. Sometimes I can't keep myself from dancing around like a 4-year-old when I listen to it. Wink

ending song--
Blue Flow from Haibane Renmei. Ever since I saw the ending of the series, it is very rarely that I listen to this song without crying a little.

Last edited by Cloe on Wed Feb 09, 2005 1:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
minidriver

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 4:44 pm Reply with quote
Opening songs: Any of the 4 songs used in the .hack//liminality series, particularly Edge (nice techno sound) and Senyaichiya (A Thousand and One Nights) (love the piano in it). I also like Shout it loud by Scudelia Electro (opening for King of Bandit Jing) (it rocks), Maico wa Odoru from Maico 2010 (catchy, and I can use it as an example of using the note names as words for a song to my choir members), and Thesis of a Cruel Angel (Neon Genesis Evangelion).

Closing songs: When I'm driving somewhere, I need to make sure that Vivid by Fairy Fore (closing #1 for Final Fantasy Unlimited) doesn't come up on the CD player, otherwise I end up driving 100+MPH down the highway Smile I also like The Starry Sky by HAL (Angelic Layer), Crawl by The Water of Life (2nd close for Eden's Bowy), Raison d'etre from Chobits, and Katachi no nai Machi Mezashite from Comic Party. (hope I got the spelling right on the romanji). Oh yes, can't forget Ride On Shooting Star from the Pillows (FLCL)

Gotta check out some of the other suggestions everybody has mentioned... I haven't seen some of the series mentioned so I have to wait for them to show up in my local stores or on the Anime Network.
thorsteinn30

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2004 11:52 pm Reply with quote
I throw in my 2 kronur here if I may...My favourite anime opening is The theme from Spirited Away, by Joe Hisaishi, and for a closing piece, I have to go for something quite unusual, Twinkle Talk from Nanatsu no Umi no Tico, sung by Mayumi Shinozuka. I like these pieces because unlike so much other anime/manga music, they are not loud and "bouncy", as you would maybe expect. They are soft, orchestral, and very relaxing.
Lone Outlaw

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 11:54 am Reply with quote
I have always liked the opening and ending theme from Cowboy Bebop. "Tank" and the "Real Folk Blues" are great numbers. My favorite track off Cowboy Bebop is "Jupitar Jazz" by far. Its got a great saxophone solo. My new favorite opening and ending theme are from Saber Marionette J. "Succesful Mission" by Megumi Hayashibara is great. Its got a very Dimebag Darrell-esqe guitar solo in it. The ending theme is sung beautifully. Outlaw Star also has a great soundtrack that I listen to alot. Very Happy
gracefulneptune

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 10:36 pm Reply with quote
There are so many anime songs that have just moved me. But if I can limit my self to opening and ending from a series, its Fushigi Yuugi all the way! I don't know what it is...the first time I heard the quiet and cermonial sounding opening followed by the beautiful love song ending, I nearly cried. Anyone else like it?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
AKOrtega

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 12:28 pm Reply with quote
I must say that the opening and closing songs for Chobits are one of my favorites. the opening song seems kind of cute especially when Chi mouths along with the song towards the end of the opening. The second closing song "Mermade" played during and after spoiler[Shinbo and Miss Shimizu, kissed and ran off together] is a great song. But i must say that my favorite opening and closing songs are on Last Exile, the when i first say the series the opening was stuning and got me hooked in the first few second it is amazing. the ending is great and has the adorable Alvis in it makes the song seem even more beautiful.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Music All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 17