Pop Team Epic Is Yahoo!'s Most Searched Anime of 2018
posted on 2018-12-05 18:45 EST by Lynzee Loveridge
Bkub Okawa's Pop Team Epic managed to confound, entertain, and surprise viewers each week, earning its spot as Yahoo! Japan's most searched anime series of 2018. Popuko and Pipimi's anti-comedy was announced as one of the top three searched series along with DARLING in the FRANXX and The Seven Deadly Sins: Revival of The Commandments but ultimately pulled ahead of its two competitors.
Yahoo! Japan revealed Pop Team Epic as the winner of the Anime Division of the website's annual Yahoo! Search Awards on Wednesday. The awards include sections for anime, voice actors, live-action actors, musicians, idols, and more.
- Grand Prize: Six-member male idol group King & Prince
- Actor: Tomoya Nakamura (March comes in like a lion)
- Actress: Mio Imada (Boys Over Flowers Season 2)
- Comedian: Hyokkorihan
- Athlete: Yuzuru Hanyu
- Model: Kōki, (a.k.a. Mitsuki Kimura)
- Musician: Namie Amuro (2nd consecutive win)
- Idol: King & Prince
- Voice Actor: Yumiko Kobayashi (Crayon Shin-chan)
- Artist: Tarō Yabe (
Oya-san to Boku)
- Film: The Greatest Showman
- Game: Monster Hunter World
- Novel: Otto no Chinpo ga Hairanai by Kodama (title lit. "My Husband's Dick Won't Go In")
- Drama: Hanbun, Aoi.
- Phrase: "Osako Hanpa Naitte" (“Osako is way too good”), a phrase uttered in 2009 by a high school football team captain after his team lost to Yuya Osako's during a national high school football tournament. The phrase went viral in 2018 after underdog football team the Blue Samurai, along with Osako, beat Colombia in its first match in the 2018 World Cup.
Yahoo! Japan Search Awards also included a section for products, like new iPhone, and celebrities born during the Heisei era as 2018 marks the final full year in the Heisei era.