The Blue Period. Anime Unveils Cast for Instructor, More Classmates
posted on by Egan Loo
The official website for the television anime of Tsubasa Yamaguchi's The Blue Period. manga revealed new cast members on Friday. The newly announced cast members are, from left to right in the image below:
- Yuki Kazu as Mayu Oba, an instructor at Yatora's prep school
- Emiri Suyama as Sae Okada, a classmate who wants to get into a women's art college
- Taishi Murata as Takuro Ishii, a classmate who is hoping to apply to various art colleges
- Saori Ōnishi as Hanako Sakuraba, a classmate who is aiming for the Tokyo University of the Arts
Yatora is the perfect high school student, with good grades and lots of friends. It's an effortless performance, and, ultimately … a dull one. But he wanders into the art room one day, and a lone painting captures his eye, awakening him to a kind of beauty he never knew. Compelled and consumed, he dives in headfirst—and he's about to learn how savage and unforgiving art can be!
Previously announced cast members include (pictured below from left to right):
- Hiromu Mineta as Yatora Yaguchi
- Yumiri Hanamori as Ryuji Ayukawa
- Daiki Yamashita as Yotasuke Takahashi
- Kengo Kawanishi as Haruka Hashida
- Yume Miyamoto as Maki Kuwana
Koji Masunari (Read or Die, Kamichu!, Magi: The Labyrinth of Magic) is the chief director, while Katsuya Asano (Yu-Gi-Oh! VRAINS) is directing the anime at Seven Arcs. Reiko Yoshida (K-ON!, Tamako Love Story, Liz and the Blue Bird) is writing and overseeing the anime's scripts. Tomoyuki Shitaya (Bakuman., Food Wars! Shokugeki no Soma, If My Favorite Pop Idol Made it to the Budokan, I Would Die) is designing the characters.
The other staff members include:
- Art Directors: Ken Nakamura, Yūji Kaneko
- Art Design: Mamio Ogawa, Mika Nakajima
- Compositing Director of Photography: Yasushi Hattori
- Color Key Artist: Ritsuko Utagawa
- 3D CG Director: Arimasa Omi
- Editing: Kazuhiko Seki
- Special Effects: Naomasa Fukuda
- Music: Ippei Inoue
- Sound Effects: Kenji Koyama
- Music Producer: Kōhei Sakai
- Music Production: DMM Music
- Sound Director: Hiromi Kikuta
The anime will premiere in October.
Yamaguchi launched the manga in Kodansha's Afternoon magazine in June 2017. Kodansha published the manga's ninth compiled book volume on January 21. Kodansha Comics published the second volume in English on January 5.
The manga won the 13th Manga Taisho awards in 2020, and was nominated for the awards the previous year. The series was also nominated for the 24th Annual Tezuka Osamu Cultural Prize in February 2020, and also ranked at #14 on the Kono Manga ga Sugoi! male readers list in December 2019, and ranked #15 on the same list in December 2020. The manga also won the Best General Manga award in the 44th annual Kodansha Manga Awards in 2020.