• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Best Hero/Heroine Tournament: Finished!

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 9:09 pm Reply with quote
Sorry for the short reasoning. Work has continued to keep me running ragged.

Group D-1
Ashitaka, Princess Mononoke

Reason: Just find him the more heroic of the two. Tough choice though.

Group D-2
Goh Sawutari, Godannar

Reason: He just screams heroic with his manly yells and burning passion heh. He's a new century version of those old 80's heroic mech pilots.

Group D-3
Arika Yumemiya, My-Otome and My-Otome Zwei

Reason: No matter what happens and when betrayal is all around her she keeps fighting for what's right and believing in her friends.

Group D-4
Kikuchiyo, Samurai 7

Reason: Kiba is not that heroic per se to me. At least not nearly as much when compared to Kikuchiyo. Any of the 7 samurai from the show would be a better choice here over Kiba.

Group D-5
Kamui, X

Reason: Roy to me does too many questionable things to be truly heroic in my book. spoiler[Kamui overcomes the loss of everyone dear to him and ultimately sacrifices himself for his one remaining friend to bring him back. ]If that's not heroic I don't know what is.

Group D-6
Belldandy, Ah! My Goddess/Oh My Goddess! franchise

Reason: Being the OMG fanboy I am sure no one sees this as a surprise. Bell, despite the floor mat persona many claim her to be, is 100% pure and heroic and ALWAYS fights for the right cause. Maybe she's not as assertive as she can be but she is unarguably heroic.

Group D-7
Van Fanel, Escaflowne franchise

Reason: More heroic of the two IMO.

Group D-8
Kamina, Gurren Lagann

Reason: Kamina is one of the most manly, heroic, and just pure justice fighting badass in anime right now. Maybe he's a bit over the top but one cannot deny the fact the he just oozes heroism.

Group D-9
Sorata Arisugawa, X

Reason: I know he's the under dog but I have to support my main man. Sorata from day one always has a positive attitude. He knows he's destined to die for the woman he loves and to protect Kamui. He accepts it with a smile and despite often being pushed away by Kamui at first never gives up. He is the true heart and spirit of the show IMO and he shows heroism countless times until his fortold destiny comes true. Simon is heroic don't get me wrong but he evolves into it. Sorata starts off from moment one that way so he gets the edge and my vote.

Group D-10
Tohma , Fantastic Children

Reason: Going by votes and the guide.

Group D-11
Abe no Masahiro, Shonen Onmyoji

Reason: Again going by votes and the guide.

Group D-12
Ashram, Record of Lodoss War: Chronicles of the Heroic Knight

Reason: Easy choice for me really. Ashram is just 5 times more heroic IMO.

Group D-13
Chihiro, Spirited Away

Reason: I think they're both about equally heroic so since I'm torn I'm simply going for the character I like more.

Group D-14
Amuro Ray , Mobile Suit Gundam and Char’s Counterattack

Reason: Amuro is exactly what I said Goh is by today's standard. He's the heroic 80's mech pilot who just keeps on fighting endlessly.

Group D-15
Sakata Gintoki, Gintama

Reason: Votes and guide again.

Group D-16
Éclair, Kiddy Grade

Reason: Both are heroic but to me Eclair is just that much more heroic. Yomiko just seems to me to be heroic when she needs to be where as Eclair simply is all the time. She's lived countless lives always fighting for what's right and just and shows heroism time and time again. She deserves to win this match.
Sentire

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 9:41 pm Reply with quote
Group D-1
Ashitaka, Princess Mononoke

Group D-2
Daisuke Aramaki, Ghost in the Shell franchise

Group D-3
Arika Yumemiya, My-Otome and My-Otome Zwei

Group D-4
Kikuchiyo, Samurai 7

Group D-5
Kamui, X
I know this isn't the popular choice... but I have to follow my gut.

Group D-6
Belldandy, Ah! My Goddess/Oh My Goddess! franchise

Group D-7
Van Fanel, Escaflowne franchise

Group D-8
Kamina, Gurren Lagann

Group D-9
Sorata Arisugawa, X
Another unpopular choice...

Group D-10
Tohma , Fantastic Children

Group D-11
Honoka, The Third: The Girl With The Blue Eye

Group D-12
Ashram, Record of Lodoss War: Chronicles of the Heroic Knight

Group D-13
Jimmy Kudo (aka Conan Edogawa), Case Closed/Detective Conan

Group D-14
Youko Nakajima, The Twelve Kingdoms

Group D-15
Sakata Gintoki, Gintama

Group D-16
Yomiko Readman, Read or Die OVA
Key

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 11:10 pm Reply with quote
Round 1 Group D is now closed.

Official results will soon be posted here. We finish the round with our fourth tie, allowing both Goh and Aramaki to advance in Group D-2 to face off against Ashitaka. In the other close matches, Arika only barely edges out Kazuma in D-3, Juna only barely fends off a late surge by Sakata in D-15, and Nagi and Conan/Jimmy pulled slightly away from Ashram and Chihiro, respectively, in D-12 and D-13. This Group saw more close matches than the others, as eight of the matches were won with less than 65% of the votes. This was also the round's smallest vote total, with only 28.

The next round is ready to go and will be posted as soon as I can enter in the official results.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Key

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 11:17 pm Reply with quote
Round 2 Group A is now closed.

As with Groups B-D, Group A now has individual Guide entries for all character linked via their names. (I retrofitted this all, although the full cumulative Guide for Group A is still available on the opening post.)

Group A-17
Hakuoro, Utawarerumono
vs.
Kazuki Muto, Buso Renkin

Winner: Hakuoro
Total: 24-3

Group A-18
Pacifica Casull, Scrapped Princess
vs.
Kenshin Himura, Ruroni Kenshin franchise

Winner: Kenshin
Total: 25-2

Group A-19
Saya Otonashi, Blood +
vs.
Toboe, Wolf’s Rain
vs.
Dr. Kenzou Tenma, Monster

Winner: Dr. Tenma
Total: 4-3-20

Group A-20
Clare, Claymore
vs.
Siegfried Kircheis, Legend of the Galactic Heroes

Winner: Clare
Total: 15-12

Group A-21
Goku, Dragonball franchise
vs.
Hibiki Tokai, Vandread

Winner: Goku
Total: 19-8

Group A-22
Hikaru Shidou, Magic Knight Rayearth
vs.
Karasu, Noein – to your other self

Winner: Hikaru
Total: 15-12

Group A-23
Shu Maritani, Now and Then, Here and There
vs.
Sakura Kinomoto, Cardcaptor Sakura

Winner: Shu
Total: 23-4

Group A-24
Gourry Gabriev, Slayers franchise
vs.
Usagi Tsukino (aka Sailor Moon), Sailor Moon

Winner: Usagi
Total: 19-8

Last edited by Key on Mon Apr 27, 2009 11:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Key

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 11:27 pm Reply with quote
I'll go early once again, while this is still fresh in my mind.

Group A-17
Hakuoro, Utawarerumono
vs.
Kazuki Muto, Buso Renkin

Kazuki sound like he has some merits, but Hakuoro is more worthy of a third-round spot, as he brings together - and leads the defense of - an entire empire.

Group A-18
vs.

I fully expect Kenshin is going to win this one in a landslide, but I have to support Pacifica because I think she's an interesting enough heroine that she deserves to not lose in a total landslide.

Group A-19
Saya Otonashi, Blood +
vs.
Toboe, Wolf’s Rain
vs.

My "meh" pick of the round. Toboe's out because I think he should have never made the cut, and Saya failed to impress me. Thus Dr. Tenma gets my vote by default.

Group A-20
Clare, Claymore
vs.

Clare isn't a top contender, but I'll give her support for one more round.

Group A-21
vs.
Hibiki Tokai, Vandread

No contest, really. Hibiki is a good guy, but Goku, despite occasional bouts of arrogant stupidity, is still one of the premiere shonen action heroes.

Group A-22
vs.

Not high on Karasu and Hikaru had a lot of support last round, so I'll vote for her for now.

Group A-23
vs.

An easy pick for me. Sakura has merits but Shu is practically the embodiment of determination and heroism.

Group A-24
vs.

I'm voting for Usagi here entirely because I don't think Gourry is that strong a competitor. Probably will be the last round Sailor Moon gets my vote, though.
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 11:27 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
This was also the round's smallest vote total, with only 28.

Still the best turn out for it's round out of the last 3 tournaments, at least.

Results will be up late today, I think I'm just going to go to bed now instead of working out the numbers, but I'll probably have it up noon-ish.
arachneia

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 11:46 pm Reply with quote
Group A-17
Hakuoro, Utawarerumono
vs.
Kazuki Muto, Buso Renkin

Hakuoro boasts some better achievements, especially of the anti-corrupt-government kind.

Group A-18
vs.

Kenshin. Strong contender overall, while Pacifica is more enduring than heroic.

Group A-19
Saya Otonashi, Blood +
vs.
Toboe, Wolf’s Rain
vs.

Tenma. Firstly, his competition is not that good, but since I feel like extolling him a bit, I'll say that nothing, and I mean absolutely nothing, can compare to the integrity and the balls he manifested in fighting Johann, because, not only is he the thinking man's hero, putting ethics, universal good, and borderline messianic mercy before his own sense of purpose and satisfaction, but he also has the more traditional faculties of plain courage, determination, and skill.

Group A-20
Clare, Claymore
vs.

Clare, and I'm mostly basing this on the prolonged argument from the first round.

Group A-21
vs.
Hibiki Tokai, Vandread

I think Hibiki sounds like he has a little more to deal with.

Group A-22
vs.

I'll go with Karasu because I like the human shield types.

Group A-23
vs.

Meh, but I'll go with Shu.

Group A-24
vs.

Gourry.
ccdx

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 12:13 am Reply with quote
All brackets updated here: http://home.comcast.net/~unirizer2/

Mini-game scores will be updated tomorrow.
guet

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 12:19 am Reply with quote
Group A-17
Hakuoro, Utawarerumono
vs.
Kazuki Muto, Buso Renkin

Voting for: Hakuoro

Reason: Kazuki is heroic, but he's also a bit generic. Hakuoro has more depth to his character.

Group A-18
vs.

Voting for: Kenshin

Reason: This should be no suprise here, Kenshin deserves every bit of support he's gotten thus far.

Group A-19
Saya Otonashi, Blood +
vs.
Toboe, Wolf’s Rain
vs.

Voting for: Dr. Tenma

Reason: His willingness to to help others no matter what situation he is in.

Group A-20
Clare, Claymore
vs.

Voting for: Clare

Reason: This is actually a vote against my minigame (last round probably put me out of the running anyway). I'm over three-quarters of the way into Legend of the Galactic Heroes, and I was really unimpressed with Siegfried. He has one major moment of heroics, and in my opinion it's based more on spoiler[blind loyalty] than anything else.

Group A-21
vs.
Hibiki Tokai, Vandread

Voting for: Goku

Reason: Goku is classic, and Hibiki isn't strong enough to cause me to vote against him yet.

Group A-22
vs.

Voting for: Karasu

Reason: Karasu was willing to go to any extreme to protect the person he cared about, gotta give the guy a bit of credit.

Group A-23
vs.

Voting for: Shu

Reason: Shu is one of the top choices this round in my opinion. Also there really isn't a lot that makes Sakura stand out over all the other magical girls.

Group A-24
vs.

Voting for: Gourry

Reason: I fully expect Gourry to lose this one, but he deserves a chance to move on if for no other reason than for his actions at the end of Slayers Next.
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 12:22 am Reply with quote
Group A-17
Hakuoro, Utawarerumono
vs.
Kazuki Muto, Buso Renkin

My vote goes to Hakuroro. He could have curled up and died when he realized that he had spoiler[no memories and was unable to remove the mask. But he didn't. Instead he stepped up and helped to protect his new family and friends, ultimitly sacrificing his happiness to keep them safe.]

Group A-18
vs.

I'm going to have to go with Kenshin because I believe that he is the stronger hero in this group.

Group A-19
Saya Otonashi, Blood +
vs.
Toboe, Wolf’s Rain
vs.

The person I originally chose to win this group...didn't! So I'm going to go with Toboe because while he was the smallest of the group, he tried to protect the person who hated them the most.

Group A-20
Clare, Claymore
vs.

Voting for Siegfried because (again) my original choice didn't make it and because of the Guide and previous comments about Clare.

Group A-21
vs.
Hibiki Tokai, Vandread

Hibiki gets my vote because he really didn't see any reason not to protect everyone that he knew.

Group A-22
vs.

Hikaru because she tried her best to protect everyone despite her own doubts and fears and mistakes.

Group A-23
vs.

Sakura because she's cute. Okay, and because she, like many others, overcame or accepted her own weakness and became stronger for it. And she succeeded in what she needed to do.

Group A-24
vs.

Usagi for the same reasons that I gave for Sakura. She may have still whined and cried but she would also pull up her socks and do whatever it was that she needed to do.
Sakura of Avalon

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 12:47 am Reply with quote
Group A-17
Kazuki Muto, Buso Renkin: Irreverent humor about shounen action heroes not withstanding, Kazuki Muto fits the mold quite well and deserves commendation.

Group A-18
Kenshin, Ruroni Kenshin: While I'm not sure I buy into all the praise about him, he is certainly far more heroic than an unsympathetic damsel in distress like Pacifica.

Group A-19
Dr. Tenma, Monster: Women's intuition

Group A-20
Siegfriend Kircheis, Legend of the Galactic Heroes: I do not think Clare even belongs in this tournament, but I can give Siegfried the benefit of the doubt based on the description.

Group A-21
Goku, Dragon Ball Z: Protector of Earth and sometimes the universe, nice person, powerful, etc etc.

Group A-22
Hikaru, Magic Knight Rayearth: To shoulder the burden of being the savior--spoiler[in more ways than one,] with spoiler[the second time far more demanding than the first]--is very impressive for a girl of her age, and she maintains a positive and driven attitude throughout the ordeal.

Group A-23
Shu, Now and Then, Here and There: Largely because the far more minor adversity Sakura had to overcome.

Group A-24
Gourry, Slayers: They are two dense heroes whose stupidity often got in the way, but Gorry had his heart in the right place from the beginning, and he upholds the dashing swordsman tradition throughout the journeys.

Last edited by Sakura of Avalon on Tue Apr 21, 2009 7:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
arachneia

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 1:03 am Reply with quote
Sakura of Avalon wrote:
Group A-19
Toboe, Wolf's Rain: Largely because he seems to be the only one in this group who isn't shady.

Kenzo Tenma is so much the opposite of shady that when he gets blackmailed into being an underground doctor for criminals, he convinces them to turn themselves in.
(I hate to turn this into a pithy Chuck Norris-esque line ^, but really, Tenma deserves this vote more than the other two combined.)
Sakura of Avalon

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 1:15 am Reply with quote
Dr. Tenma has had something that is sufficiently worrisome to him that it can be used to blackmail him into serving criminals, and he had dealings with a criminal organization. This is supposed to illustrate that he is not shady?
arachneia

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 1:27 am Reply with quote
Sakura of Avalon wrote:
Dr. Tenma has had something that is sufficiently worrisome to him that it can be used to blackmail him into serving criminals, and he had dealings with a criminal organization. This is supposed to illustrate that he is not shady?

Sorry, blackmailed was the wrong word. What actually occurred was that he was threatened at gunpoint. Heckel did try to blackmail him, but Tenma refused, and the leverage we're speaking of is that Tenma is wanted by the police for several homicides that he quite clearly did not commit.

He also didn't have any dealings with a criminal organizations, at least none that were conscious or willing. Being abducted and cooperating with criminals to survive is another matter, but he was never part of any organization. I don't know where you got that from.
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 1:37 am Reply with quote
Yuck, my mini-game bracket for group D didn't fare so well. That was definitely the group I had the hardest time with, so I'm not surprised. Anyways, on to my votes for this round. They are fairly easy choices for me, with one exception.

Group A-17
Hakuoro, Utawarerumono
vs.
Kazuki Muto, Buso Renkin
My vote: Hakuoro
Hakuoro sounds very impressive, like someone who easily deserves to go far. That was my impression in the nomination round, and everything since then has confirmed that opinion.

Group A-18
vs.
My vote: Ruroni Kenshin
I think Kenshin probably deserves to win this, based on what I heard about him.

Group A-19
Saya Otonashi, Blood +
vs.
Toboe, Wolf’s Rain
vs.
My vote: Dr Temna
Temna easily deserves to win this one by far. He's one of the strongest candidates in this tournament, I think, even if he's a bit different than a lot of heroes. As I said before, Temna is probably one of the most compassionate anime heroes I've ever seen. People can say that simply having compassion or being a nice person doesn't make you a hero, but that doesn't count for Temna, because he doesn't just have a good heart: he acts on his beliefs all the time, even when it hurts him.

If anyone was ever "deserving of respect and admiration" like the hero criteria in the first post says, it's Temna. Key says in the first post about this tournament that heroes "might perform great deeds, protect people, save lives, act for the well-being of all, or just generally serve as an inspiration to others..."

Temna doesn't just do one of those things, he does them all, and often.

Group A-20
Clare, Claymore
vs.
My vote: Clare
Ah, Clare again. See a future post of mine for some major arguments in her favor, after I dig up some of my posts from the previous round. But to be brief, Clare is an incredibly underrated hero who definitely deserves to go on this round. Plus, I think Mai (whom Clare beat last round) was a more deserving candidate than Siegfried, so it would be a shame for Clare to beat her only to lose to him.

Group A-21
vs.
Hibiki Tokai, Vandread
My vote: Hibiki Tokai
My hardest choice, you can blame Dorcas_Aurelia for this vote. His comments on Hibiki during the nomination round, and his comparision of Hibiki to Simon from Gurren Lagann, have convinced me of his quality.

Group A-22
vs.
My vote: Hikaru Shidou
Honestly, I only even voted for Karasu last round because his opponent seemed very weak. Hikaru does not sound weak, so she gets an easy vote.

Group A-23
vs.
My vote: Shu Maritari
Easy vote, Shu is another of my favorite candidates in this bracket. He deserves to go very far. He risked his life to help a perfect stranger, and got stuck in a world gone to hell as a result. Faced with horrible adversity and torment, the type of thing that would cause most people to just break down completely and utterly, Shu never gave up, and maintained his positive attitude. And he continued to stand up for what he believed in, at great cost, risking his life multiple times to help others. A true inspirational figure, Shu is.

Group A-24
vs.
Usagi Tsukino (aka Sailor Moon), Sailor Moon[/quote]
My vote: Usagi Tsukino
Gourry doesn't really impress me that much, so Sailer Moon kind of gets the vote by default. She'll almost certainly be womped next round by Shu though.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 22 of 77