• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Best Hero/Heroine Tournament: Finished!

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Key

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 11:59 pm Reply with quote
Round 1 Group D is now closed.

After a lot of blow-outs last Group, we should have more fiercely-competitive matches this group, as some of the match-ups look very interesting indeed. On a downside, a couple of characters have seriously weak Guide entries in this Group because I never got a write-up on them and am not familiar enough with their respective titles to make a write-up myself. Just vote those characters out so we don't have to mess with this next round.

Group D-1
Ashitaka, Princess Mononoke
vs.
Hitomi Kanzaki, Escaflowne franchise

Winner: Ashitaka
Total: 22-6

Group D-2
Daisuke Aramaki, Ghost in the Shell franchise
vs.
Goh Sawutari, Godannar

Tie
Total: 14-14

Group D-3
Arika Yumemiya, My-Otome and My-Otome Zwei
vs.
Kazuma Kuwabara, Yu Yu Hakusho

Winner: Arika
Total: 15-13

Group D-4
Kikuchiyo, Samurai 7
vs.
Kiba, Wolf’s Rain

Winner: Kikuchiyo
Total: 18-10

Group D-5
Kamui, X
vs.
Roy Mustang, Fullmetal Alchemist

Winner: Mustang
Total: 21-7

Group D-6
Mahoro Ando, Mahoromatic franchise
vs.
Belldandy, Ah! My Goddess/Oh My Goddess! franchise

Winner: Mahoro
Total: 18-10

Group D-7
Asato Tsuzuki, Descendants of Darkness
vs.
Van Fanel, Escaflowne franchise

Winner: Van
Total: 26-2

Group D-8
Kamina, Gurren Lagann
vs.
Daisaku Kusama, Giant Robo OVA

Winner: Kamina
Total: 27-1

Group D-9
Simon, Gurren Lagann
vs.
Sorata Arisugawa, X

Winner: Simon
Total: 23-5

Group D-10
Tohma , Fantastic Children
vs.
Misaki Kirihara, Darker Than Black

Winner: Tohma

Group D-11
Honoka, The Third: The Girl With The Blue Eye
vs.
Abe no Masahiro, Shonen Onmyoji

Winner: Honoka
Total: 23-5

Group D-12
Nagi Kirima, Boogiepop Phantom
vs.
Ashram, Record of Lodoss War: Chronicles of the Heroic Knight

Winner: Nagi
Total: 16-12

Group D-13
Jimmy Kudo (aka Conan Edogawa), Case Closed/Detective Conan
vs.
Chihiro, Spirited Away

Winner: Jimmy
Total: 16-12

Group D-14
Amuro Ray , Mobile Suit Gundam and Char’s Counterattack
vs.
Youko Nakajima, The Twelve Kingdoms

Winner: Yuoko

Group D-15
Sakata Gintoki, Gintama
vs.
Juna Ariyoshi, Arjuna

Winner: Juna
Total: 15-13

Group D-16
Éclair, Kiddy Grade
vs.
Yomiko Readman, Read or Die OVA

Winner: Yomiko
Total: 17-11

Last edited by Key on Mon Apr 20, 2009 11:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dtm42

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 12:10 am Reply with quote
Group D1:

Hitomi

Group D2:

Goh

Group D3:

Kazuma

Group D4:

Kikuchiyo

Group D5:

Roy

Group D6:

Mahoro

Group D7:

Van

Group D8:

Kamina

Group D9:

Simon

Group D10:

Tohma

Group D11:

Honoka

Group D12:

Ashram

Group D13:

Jimmy

Group D14:

Youko

Group D15:

Sakata

Group D16:

Éclair

Edit: Misspelt Youko's name first time round. Now she probably hates me, though the fact that I voted for her may get me off the hook.
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 12:14 am Reply with quote
Group D-1
vs.

Hotomi because even though she made some very serious mistakes, she was able to admit to them and do her best to help correct them.

Group D-2
vs.
Goh Sawutari, Godannar

Aramaki because of what was said about him in the last Tournament.

Group D-3
vs.

Arika because she wanted to not only protect those she loved but the rest of the world as well.

Group D-4
Kikuchiyo, Samurai 7
vs.
Kiba, Wolf’s Rain

Kiba because he he may have hated humans, he also didn't want to hurt them unless they hurt him.

Group D-5
Kamui, X
vs.

Why? Why? Tough decision because in some ways both Kamui and Roy are similar but I'm going to go with Roy because he didn't choose spoiler[ Death as the only way to solve things.]

Group D-6
vs.

Mahoro coin flip

Group D-7
vs.

Van even though he went nuts a few times, his goal was to protect his people.

Group D-8
Kamina, Gurren Lagann
vs.

Kamina because he's so darn hard-headed.

Group D-9
Simon, Gurren Lagann
vs.
Sorata Arisugawa, X

Sorata because even though he knew he would spoiler[ die for the woman he loved] he went ahead full force with what he had to do.

Group D-10
vs.

Tohma even though he didn't understand why or what he was really doing or his "past", he did the best that he could for his new friends.

Group D-11
vs.

Masahiro because I nominated him and because he tried his best to protect everyone even at his own expense.

Group D-12
vs.

Nagi coin flip

Group D-13
vs.
Chihiro, Spirited Away

Chihiro because even though she didn't know what she was getting into, she perevered though tough assignments.

Group D-14
vs.

Yoko because even though she was driven mad for a time, she persevered and won through, doing the best she could with the limited and conflicting information that she had.

Group D-15
Sakata Gintoki, Gintama
vs.
Juna Ariyoshi, Arjuna

Juna because I've seen the series.

Group D-16
Éclair, Kiddy Grade
vs.

Another tough one but I'm going to have to go with Eclair because you have to be tough to have survived as long as she had and to not go insane and still care about people.
ccdx

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 12:21 am Reply with quote
Updated brackets and Mini-game scores posted at: http://home.comcast.net/~unirizer2/
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 12:27 am Reply with quote
Isn't awesome how every new round so far has been at the top of the page?

Current mini-game spreadsheet is here. Again, the mini-game results predicted the outcomes of the match-ups, although in several cases not be the same margin as expected.

As for the mini-game competitors, Olliff has managed another perfect score to tie up number 1 with Mad_Scientist. Mow is 2 points back in third. Another 2 points back is a four-way tie for fifth between Earth_Wyrm, Abunai, Farichada, and dtm (whose 15 points allowed for an 8 place jump in position).
Key

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 12:30 am Reply with quote
Again, an early vote since I happen to still be up:

Group D-1
vs.

Ashitaka. Hitomi is only a marginal inclusion, while Ashitaka is arguably the most purely heroic of all of Miyazaki's protagonists (yes, even over Nausicaa).

Group D-2
vs.
Goh Sawutari, Godannar

Goh. I honestly have trouble seeing Aramaki as truly heroic, while Goh is a hero in the classic "giant robot pilot" sense. It'll be interesting to see how much the cheesecake semi-parody style of Godannar hurts Goh's chances here.

Group D-3
vs.

Arika. Kazuma sounds like a good guy, but despite some annoying habits Arika has all of the makings of a true hero. Don't let distaste for her series dissuade you here.

Group D-4
Kikuchiyo, Samurai 7
vs.
Kiba, Wolf’s Rain

Kikuchiyo. This is me "enh" match-up this round, so I'll go with the Protector over the Guide.

Group D-5
Kamui, X
vs.

Mustang. I don't consider him one of the better choices in this group, but Kamui impresses me even less as a hero.

Group D-6
vs.

Mahoro. Urgh, this is my rip-my-hair-out match-up of the round, as I love both of these leading ladies but don't consider either to be a late-round contender. I'm ultimately giving Mahoro a very slight edge because she does a little more than just be unfailingly good, decent, and loving.

Group D-7
vs.

Van, because he has a more heroic spirit. This is a weak match-up that will ultimately just determine who loses to Kamina next round, though.

Group D-8
Kamina, Gurren Lagann
vs.

Kamina. An interesting match-up, as two giant robot pilots duke it out. Though Daisaku doubtless does many heroic things, Kamina's sheer bravado and inspirational value plenty well earn him the victory here.

Group D-9
Simon, Gurren Lagann
vs.
Sorata Arisugawa, X

Simon No question here; Simon is one of the tournament's top contenders, a boy who demonstrates his merits many times on the way to becoming a man.

Group D-10
vs.

Tohma. Misaki sounds interesting, but Tohma has the kind of irrepressible heroic spirit you just have to root for.

Group D-11
vs.

Honoka. This one shouldn't be close, as Honoka wasn't one of my picks for Best Hero/Heroine of 2008 without reason. Read her Guide entry for more details.

Group D-12
vs.

Nagi. Sorry, I'm just having trouble buying Ashram as an heroic figure when he was a decided villain during most of the first series. Besides, Nagi is a "Defender of Justice."

Group D-13
vs.
Chihiro, Spirited Away

Chihiro. A very interesting match-up between two kid heroes. Jimmy is certainly worthy, but I think Chihiro is underrated as a heroine.

Group D-14
vs.

Youko. Wow, a true powerhouse match-up in the first round. On one side you have the original Gundam pilot, on the other a schoolgirl who must grow into becoming a proper Queen. Read my Guide entry for full details on not only why Youko should win here but go far in the tourney.

Group D-15
Sakata Gintoki, Gintama
vs.
Juna Ariyoshi, Arjuna

Juna seems worthy, and her opponent has a weak-ass Guide entry. Too bad for him.

Group D-16
Éclair, Kiddy Grade
vs.

Yomiko Boy, I'm a big fan of Eclair, but I think I have to give a slight edge to The Paper here. Another tough match-up for me in this group.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 12:35 am Reply with quote
ccdx wrote:
Updated brackets and Mini-game scores posted at: http://home.comcast.net/~unirizer2/

Thanks!

I'm coming for you Mushi Man! Laughing
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 1:05 am Reply with quote
Match D-1: Ashitaka
Ashitaka's resolve to lead the forest gods and ironworks village to have a peaceful coexistence lead me to vote for him.

Match D-2: Aramaki Daisuke
I seen a GitS episode where Aramaki handles himself quite level-headedly spoiler[in a hostage crisis working with both the victims and the suspects.] This kind of composure earns the guy my vote this round. But I expect him to be owned by Ashitaka next round.

Match D-3: Kazuma Kuwabara
Both contestants are 'meh' for me. But the info I came across on Arika, combined with what I seen of her in the fake Mai-Hime movie trailer, made it hard for me to take her seriously. While not as heavily active in the heroics department as Yuusuke, Kuwabara has some more admirable traits such as his "no hitting women" rule. Kuwabara earns my vote this round.

Match D-4: Kikuchiyo
Kikuchiyo seems to have more that he's protecting than what I seen out of Kiba.

Match D-5: Roy Mustang
Kamui's cold-hearted attitude at the start of X really hurt his chances against Roy. While the Colonel comes across as a self-centered opportunist, the guy's faced tragedy from what spoiler[he contributed to in the Ishbal Massacre] and overcomes his hardship by working to gain a higher position in the military to ensure peace for the people. Such aspirations earned him the respect of a group of soldiers that support his cause.

Match D-6: Mahoro Ando
Haven't seen Oh My Goddess. But from it's harem comedy reputation, I can't see where Belldandy gets heroine status. Mahoro serves as Suguru's maid out of atonement for indirectly causing his father's death during a mission and I still recall her sacrifice at the end of the second series. So for this round, I vote for Mahoro.

Match D-7: Asato Tsuzuki
Regardless of movie or TV adaptations of his character, Van still comes across as a big jerk and battle-obsessed fellow who is quite hard to get attached to. While I don't see him surviving the next round, Tsuzuki is able to bring optimism to the gloomy Hisoka and shows a strong commitment towards the protection of those under his care.

Match D-8: Kamina
A reckless guy who encouraged humanity to fight back against the Gunmen spoiler[up to his surprising death]. I can see Kamina hanging around for a few rounds.

Match D-9: Simon
A shocker for me to vote against the guy I nominated. But Simon provided optimism in the face of overwhelming odds to more people than Sorata ever did.

Match D-10: Misaki Kirihara
For being willing to risk both her life and job to help others, Misaki earns my vote.

Match D-11: Abe no Mashiro
I've got a thing for those with spiritual awareness in this match.

Match D-12: Nagi Kirima
Ashram's info I came across made him appear more like a villain than a hero. Nagi seems like a borderline entry. But I give her the vote this round since she tried to prevent others from being affected by the strange events taking place throughout the city.

Match D-13: Jimmy Kudo
Jimmy's solved plenty of cases and helped saved the lives of others on plenty of occasions, more than I seen out of Chihiro.

Match D-14: Yoko Nakajima
After reading up on some of Amuro's reckless actions, I chose to side with Yoko as she becomes a ruler who brings significant change to her struggling kingdom.

Match D-15: Sakata Gintoki
This one was actually tricky for me to thank about. While Juna does sacrifice her very lifestyle and go against authority at some points to protect her loved ones, she selfishly accepted her responsibility to escape an early brush with death. Gintoki, from what I read up on him, seemed to be a man of honor who overcame his own tragedies and fights to deal with alien invaders. So, I vote for Gintoki this round.

Match D-16: Eclair
Compared to Yomiko, Eclair seemed more willing to put herself at risk to protect others as she turned against GOTT when their actions went against her moral opinion on a later event.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
BES Null Core

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 1:30 am Reply with quote
As of this post, the list for Group D says "Group C is now open."

Group D-1
Hitomi Kanzaki, Escaflowne: I know I was against her presence in the tournament, but I think her feats are still more impressive than the stubborn displays of strength Ashitaka had.

Group D-2
Goh Sawutari, Godannar: Too much necessary evil going on in Ghost in the Shell.

Group D-3
Arika Yumemiya, My-Otome: Even if Arika is dense, she is still an idealistic champion of justice. It's much better than a thug with a heart of gold.

Group D-4
Kikuchiyo, Samurai 7

Group D-5

Group D-6
Mahoro Ando, Mahoromatic

Group D-7
Van Fanel, Escaflowne: The description for Asato is pretty good, but that picture is... uh... not exactly heroic.

Group D-8
Daisaku Kusama, Giant Robo

Group D-9
Simon, Gurren Lagann: Based on the assumption that any semi-dark story by CLAMP will have its characters commit atrocities--or at least exhibit great anti-heroic behavior.

Group D-10
Tohma, Fantastic Children

Group D-11
Honoka, The Third: The Girl with the Blue Eye

Group D-12
Ashram, Record of Lodoss War: I find Chaotic Good characters, such as Nagi, distasteful. Though I suppose I'm one of the few people here who sees a Lawful Evil character as more heroic than a CG one.

Group D-13
Jimmy Kudo, Case Closed

Group D-14
Youko Nakajima, Twelve Kingdoms

Group D-15
Juna Ariyoshi, Arjuna: Something about not punishing people for being ineffective?

Group D-16
Yomiko Readman, Read of Die
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 1:41 am Reply with quote
D-1
Hitomi Kanzaki, Escaflowne

Ashitaka
Maybe it's due to having watched the movie first, but I remember Hitomi as something of a bland heroine.

D-2
Aramaki Daisuke, Ghost in the Shell
Goh Saruwatari, Godannar

Goh
I like my heroes the way I like my pets: hot-blooded. Wait, are fish hot-blooded? But seriously, Aramaki may be noble and help ensure stability in a turbulent world, but it's not the same as being constantly in the thick of it.

D-3
Arika Yumemiya, My-Otome

Kazuma
Guide: I like the bit about proving himself as a real man in contrast to his apparent thug appearance.

D-4
Kikuchiyo, Samurai 7
Kiba, Wolf's Rain

Kikuchiyo
This may change, since I don't know much about Kiba. Kikuchiyo's metaphorical heart is proportional to his size. The scene when he reveals why/how he became a samurai and Kambei's acceptance of him left a strong, positive impression on me, and he comes a long way from the clumsy, blundering oaf that he is in the early episodes.

D-5
Kamui, X

Roy
My memory may be off, but Kamui seemed like he really didn't want to be a hero, and as such, never filled the role in the same way a less emotionally conflicted (not exactly what I mean) champion would. Roy, for all of his laziness and skirt-chasing knows how he wants to shape the world.

D-6
Mahoro Ando, Mahoromatic
Belldandy, Ah My Goddess!

Belldandy
Yes, there is very little real threat in Belldandy's world, seeing as the most common villains are on rather friendly terms with the goddesses, but then you've got the movie, and Belldandy spoiler[saves the world, and opposes the might of heaven to do so.]

D-7
Asato Tsuzuki, Descendents of Darkness
Van Fanel, Escaflowne

Van
I can't vote for a guy giving puppy-dog eyes as a hero.

D-8
Kamina, Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann

Kamina
Believe in the Kamina that believes in you!

D-9
Simon, Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann
Sorata Arisugawa, X

Simon
It's a shame Sorata has to go up against someone so big right away. What's the line when he meets Arashi? I've decided: you're the person I'm going to die for. That sound right? But Simon, with his growth from lowly digger to the soul of Team Gurren and so much more just totally outshines him.

D-10
Tohma, Fantastic Children
Misaka Kirihara, Darker than Black

Tohma
Kirihara goes well above and beyond the call of duty, but she is handicapped in this competition by being a supporting role. Plus, Tohma had more nomination votes per people who watched his series than anyone but Keaton, and Keaton only had 200-some views.

D-11
Honoka, The Third: The Girl with the Blue Eye
Abe no Mashiro, Shonen Onmyoji

Honoka
Absolutely astounding guide entry.

D-12
Ashram, Record of Lodoss War: Chronicle of the Heroic Knight

Nagi
Decent guide entry, plus the whole: was a villain in a different plot line aspect for Ashram.

D-13
Jimmy Kudo, Case Closed/Detective Conan
Chihiro, Spirited Away

Chihiro
Jimmy doesn't really seem any more heroic than, say, the cast of Scooby Doo. Chihiro is a little girl who must face done fantastic and frightening spirits in order to save her parents and herself.

D-14
Amuro Ray, Mobile Suit Gundam
Yoko Nakajima, Twelve Kingdoms

Yoko
Because I'm more likely to watch Twelve Kingdoms than I am to ever watch any Gundam show.

D-15
Sakata Gintoki, Gintama
Juna Ariyoshi, Earth Maiden Arjuna

Juna
While the only thing I really know about Arjuna is that my friend says it's a depressing series, I'm confounded as to why Sakata is here, since his nomination was so sparse as to be completely uninsightful.

D-16
Éclair, Kiddy Grade
Yomiko Readman, R.O.D.

Éclair
As kick-ass as Yomiko is, I feel more like she was bribed into action with the promise of her precious book than acting through any concern for humanity. I think she showed more heroism in the TV series by thinking for herself, although she was less effective.
arachneia

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 1:42 am Reply with quote
Group D-1
vs.

Ashitaka, definitely. His most important battle is literally with himself.

Group D-2
vs.
Goh Sawutari, Godannar

Daisuke

Group D-3
vs.

Arika

Group D-4
Kikuchiyo, Samurai 7
vs.
Kiba, Wolf’s Rain

Kiba

Group D-5
Kamui, X
vs.

Roy Mustang; come on, this one wasn't even a contest

Group D-6
vs.

I think I'll go with Belldandy

Group D-7
vs.

Asato sounds a little too cheerful for a hero. Van Fanel.

Group D-8
Kamina, Gurren Lagann
vs.

Kamina

Group D-9
Simon, Gurren Lagann
vs.
Sorata Arisugawa, X

Simon

Group D-10
vs.

Kirihara. The guide really does her a disservice, and her actions in the last episode alone should be enough for her to clear this round.

Group D-11
vs.

Unfamiliar with either, but Honoka sounds pretty interesting.

Group D-12
vs.

Ashram

Group D-13
vs.
Chihiro, Spirited Away

Jimmy Kudo; this is just a vote against Chihiro, though.

Group D-14
vs.

Yuoko Nakajima

Group D-15
Sakata Gintoki, Gintama
vs.
Juna Ariyoshi, Arjuna

Sakata Gintoki

Group D-16
Éclair, Kiddy Grade
vs.

Eclair
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 4:46 am Reply with quote
Group D-1
vs.

Hmm, I think I agree with Key's reasoning on this one. It has to be Ashitaka.

Group D-2
vs.
Goh Sawutari, Godannar

And again, Key is right -- while I find Aramaki very impressive and competent, and I really think he ought to have done better in the Most Intelligent tournament, there is no way that I can view him as a hero. Goh, on the other hand, has the right stuff -- even if it is covered in cheese.

Group D-3
vs.

Arika is a plucky young female heroine, and we all know how I feel about those, don't we?

Group D-4
Kikuchiyo, Samurai 7
vs.
Kiba, Wolf’s Rain

Kikuchiyo is my pick here.

Group D-5
Kamui, X
vs.

Big fat meh. I think my Penny B likes Roy Mustang, though.

Group D-6
vs.

This is an almost poetic matchup. Two very powerful (but deceptively feminine) heroines, face to face. Could it be better than this? I hardly know which one to pick, because I think they both fit the bill very well indeed. When it comes right down to it, though, I think I will have to pick Mahoro.

Group D-7
vs.

Bleah. Okay, Van Fanel. Still, bleah.

Group D-8
Kamina, Gurren Lagann
vs.

No contest, Kamina.

Group D-9
Simon, Gurren Lagann
vs.
Sorata Arisugawa, X

Another no contest, Simon.

Group D-10
vs.

Slightly hard to choose, here, but still: Tohma.

Group D-11
vs.

No opinion, my Penny B says Abe no Masahiro.

Group D-12
vs.

I think I will have to pick this one from negative impulses. I dislike the other choice, so Ashram gets my vote.

Group D-13
vs.
Chihiro, Spirited Away

Ouch. Which one? They're both excellent hero material; they stand up to almost unbearable odds; they find themselves in circumstances where they are nearly helpless, but persevere nevertheless.... even so, I think Chihiro is more heroic. After all, she doesn't have access to Conan's amazing repertoire of gimmicks. She only has herself to rely on, in the end.

Group D-14
vs.
I'll go with Youko here -- though she has her moments of weakness, that only serves to highlight her determination.

Group D-15
Sakata Gintoki, Gintama
vs.
Juna Ariyoshi, Arjuna

Umm.... Arjuna. Same reasoning as with Youko in D-14.

Group D-16
Éclair, Kiddy Grade
vs.

I'll go with Yomiko Readman here, chiefly on the strength of the depths of her character revealed in R.O.D. the TV. Can someone explain to me why everybody else from multiple series is listed as "...from the * franchise", while Yomiko is the only character who is specifically saddled with the rather superficial aspects of her character shown in the OVA, while the TV series is left out?

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Generic #757858

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 5:10 am Reply with quote
abunai wrote:
Can someone explain to me why everybody else from multiple series is listed as "...from the * franchise", while Yomiko is the only character who is specifically saddled with the rather superficial aspects of her character shown in the OVA, while the TV series is left out?

I'm guessing that many people, myself included, just don't see her as that heroic in the TV series. Yes, she later joins the fight, but only after her hiding place had been discovered by Nenene and the Paper Sisters. The feeling I get is that if she hadn't been prodded to action she would have just happily stayed in hiding with Nancy, oblivilious to the fate of the world.
_Earthwyrm_

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 6:47 am Reply with quote
Group D-1
vs.

It has to be Ashitaka. He puts that boiling, over-flowing feeling of inspiration and admiration into my chest that can only be created through awe of heroism.

Group D-2
vs.
Goh Sawutari, Godannar

Goh, guide.

Group D-3
vs.

Didn't think I'd vote for anyone from Yu Yu Hakusho, but Kazuma - guide.

Group D-4
Kikuchiyo, Samurai 7
vs.
Kiba, Wolf’s Rain

Kikuchiyo - Dorcas' argument in his favour is, more or less, solely responsible. It just worked for me.

Group D-5
Kamui, X
vs.

Roy Mustang is a weak contender overall, as I think his involvement in the Ishbal Incident and his 'softly, softly' approach will work against him - but he's definitely got what it takes to make it this time.

Group D-6
vs.

Mahoro. I find it hard to think of Belldandy as a hero, from what I know of her.

Group D-7
vs.

Van - not sure who nominated Asato, but they need to get a new picture for him stat.

Group D-8
Kamina, Gurren Lagann
vs.

Kamina is one of the heaviest hitters in this tournament.

Group D-9
Simon, Gurren Lagann
vs.
Sorata Arisugawa, X

Simon is the heart and soul of heroism. It's true that you can't speak of Simon's heroism without speaking of his mentor's, but I think it's also true that he surpasses his mentor. Part of being a hero is the journey that you took to get to that point. Simon wasn't born a hero, and he wasn't made a hero - he grasped heroism with his own two hands.

Group D-10
vs.

Tohma - guide.

Group D-11
vs.

It seems from the guide that Honoka has that special something.

Group D-12
vs.

I'm currently watching Boogiepop, and at this point, I'm willing to hand this to Nagi Kirima - Which isn't to say that her opponent looks a particularly strong competitor.

Group D-13
vs.
Chihiro, Spirited Away

Originally, I was going to give this to Conan, but some decent arguments have been made in Chihiro's favour. Thanks for reminding me of why she's so great, guys. Smile
I think this might be one of the bigger mistakes in my bracket...

Group D-14
vs.

Amuro Ray - Coin toss.

Group D-15
Sakata Gintoki, Gintama
vs.
Juna Ariyoshi, Arjuna

Even though Sataka's guide entry is made of pure suckage, and gave him a +0 for heroism, I'm giving him my vote. Juna's guide kind of worked in a negative direction for me, it read kind of like an apology.

Group D-16
Éclair, Kiddy Grade
vs.

Yomiko. Man, I love saying 'The Paper'.
Sophisticat

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 9:11 am Reply with quote
Group D-1

Ashitaka

Group D-2
Goh Sawutari, Godannar

Goh

Group D-3

Arika

Group D-4
Kikuchiyo, Samurai 7

Kikuchiyo

Group D-5

Mustang

Group D-6

Belldandy

Group D-7

Van

Group D-8
Kamina, Gurren Lagann

Kamina

Group D-9
Simon, Gurren Lagann

Simon

Group D-10

Misaki

Group D-11

Honoka. Too many haven't seen this series. Go watch!

Group D-12

Ashram

Group D-13
Chihiro, Spirited Away

Chihiro

Group D-14

Amuro

Group D-15
Juna Ariyoshi, Arjuna

Juna

Group D-16

Yomiko
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 19 of 77