• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Summer 2011 Anime Preview Guide

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shaterri

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 6:34 pm Reply with quote
ArsenicSteel wrote:
If the otaku stuff outsells and outperforms the more casual stuff then maybe the otaku stuff is the mainstream stuff and stuff that happens to tickle the fancies of the Western audience is just a happy coincidence.

Isn't it more a matter of the otaku stuff having much higher marketability? After all, the DVD and Blu-Ray rankings are hardly dominated by 'otaku shows' (Tiger and Bunny, Natsume, Ano Hi Mita Hana, One Piece, Beelzebub, etc. all make high showings), so it's hard to make the claim that the otaku shows are being watched more; it's simply that those shows move so many figures, mousepads, beach towels, etc. that they're far more profitable to produce.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 6:36 pm Reply with quote
SakechanBD wrote:
RyanSaotome wrote:
Is it just me, or do the reviewers here seem to hate Otaku anime or something? Every single show thats aimed at the more hardcore anime fans are bashed to hell, while the shows that are aimed at a casual audience are loved. Like they all hate on Idolmaster, when the fact is, thats gonna be the biggest show from this season when its all said and done, both sales wise and popularity wise. And anything with panty shots is called trash.

Just seems weird to me how these reviewers don't really seem like typical anime fans, but more like people who just watch anime casually.

I think you're confusing "Otaku anime" with "egregious fan pandering." What you're talking about isn't aimed at "more hardcore anime fans." They're aimed at perverts and teenagers. Are you insinuating that a hardcore anime fan can't appreciate something like Croisee or Usagi Drop?

Well seeing that stuff like Usagi Drop will likely not hit the manabi line (based on previous shows that are like it), while Idolmaster will likely sell 20-25k... yes, I am insinuating that. The main anime fandom isn't interested in those "Deep" shows.

And I'd imagine most of the sales aren't from teenagers, but from 20 somethings for these shows. Teens don't have the money to buy anime BDs for 80 bucks when you only get 2 episodes. Its the older people buying all of the Otaku anime. And thats what I mean by the more hardcore fans. The people willing to pay big money to support their hobby, versus the people who only watch it as entertainment.
BakaOnna

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 6:43 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
BakaOnna wrote:
I'm also wondering if anyone is going to cover Penguindrum. I know it's not being simulcasted anywhere so I don't know how likely it is going to be covered but seeing Ikoku Meiro no Croisée reviewed by some, I don't see why Penguindrum won't. I personally enjoyed its 1st episode the most out of the summer shows thus far.

Yeeah, so people are wondering why a series which had only been available in fansubs for about seven hours at the time of the first such comment hadn't had previews posted yet? Really

Sheesh, people. Give us a chance to do our business before making comments/complaints like this. If you don't see something within 24 hours of its first availability, and it's not scheduled to be available in legal streaming form anywhere, then that would be the right time to ask questions about this.

Oh, and BTW, there is no freakin' way that Penguindrum wasn't going to get done as soon as we knew about it and could get to it - not with the pedigree it has. We have several reviews for it up now.

Wow, okay, I wasn't demanding it to be reviewed or anything; I was just asking. And the sub had been out for far longer than 7 hours since I watched it before I went to sleep and that was 8 hours, in addition to the 4 or so hours after when I posted that message.

Last edited by BakaOnna on Fri Jul 08, 2011 7:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
belvadeer

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 6:48 pm Reply with quote
Id@lmaster: God, after seeing this franchise saturate its costumes (as well as a mystic arte in Narikiri Dungeon X) in the Tales series, an anime is just a big no.

A Dark Rabbit: What's with all the tropes in the summary? Anime hyper

Penguindrum: Penguins assisting with daily stuff. Sounds like Prinnies to me, haha. But what you said about the first episode's final scene being creepy...now you got me curious.

Sacred Seven: It might reel in some people with its action if nothing else. Sniper maid repetition lol. Anime hyper

No. 6: The premise sounds unique, though if Rat were made to look more thuggish and intimidating, it might make the relationship more interesting.

Blood-C: So basically what you're saying is Saya has been thrown to vampires and had the awesomeness sucked out of her, leaving her with only action sequences to hook potential viewers? Um, ouch.

Last edited by belvadeer on Sat Nov 26, 2011 8:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
Megiddo

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 6:48 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
Well seeing that stuff like Usagi Drop will likely not hit the manabi line (based on previous shows that are like it), while Idolmaster will likely sell 20-25k... yes, I am insinuating that. The main anime fandom isn't interested in those "Deep" shows.

You are correct that a popular video game-based anime will outsell Usagi Drop, but I would contend that Mayoi Chiki, Twin Angel, R-15, or any of the other rehashed shows-aimed-at-otaku will probably sell less than Usagi Drop.
lelliel

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 6:49 pm Reply with quote
Just wanted to point out it seems Theron review of Yuru Yuri gathered some complaints / criticisms.

Why didn't this person just post this on the forums instead of complaining about it on a blog only a few people read, who knows. Also, it seems kinda presumptuous for her to assume that this is professional reviewing site so mistakes aren't allowed ever. The reviewers are only human.

Anyway, I'm curious on what other people thoughts are.

----

tuxedocat wrote:
Aoi Hana and Wandering Son were both wonderful shows (IMO), but flopped big time in the ratings.

To be honest, I've always had sense the Aoi Hana and Wandering Son were classics... in the sense that people praise them but never watch them.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 6:50 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
RyanSaotome wrote:

You are correct that a popular video game-based anime will outsell Usagi Drop, but I would contend that Mayoi Chiki, Twin Angel, R-15, or any of the other rehashed shows-aimed-at-otaku will probably sell less than Usagi Drop.

I'd imagine R-15 has a good chance at 5-6k, since its light novel is pretty popular and has a good potential for being uncensored on BD release, and Mayo Chiki will probably sell similar to Usagi drop. Twin Angel will sell like junk though, and may not even hit 1k.
PlatinumHawke

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 7:03 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
Is it just me, or do the reviewers here seem to hate Otaku anime or something?

No, they just hate shitty anime. Both Zac and Dave (over on Colony "We Hate Moe" Drop) had favourable things to say about Madoka, and that was massively popular with the otaku. But that show actually had some substance to it, rather than the vapid garbage that comes out consisting of fanservice set-pieces.

Edit: BTW, not all the reviewers hate fanservice either. Both Highschool of the Dead and Asobi ni Ikuyo scored above par last summer.

And so what if a show is popular and/or sells. That's not a measure of it's quality, just of it's enjoyment to whatever audience it was thrown at. It's completely unrelated -- that goes for every form of media.

Last edited by PlatinumHawke on Fri Jul 08, 2011 7:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 7:04 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
Megiddo wrote:
RyanSaotome wrote:

I'd imagine R-15 has a good chance at 5-6k, since its light novel is pretty popular and has a good potential for being uncensored on BD release, and Mayo Chiki will probably sell similar to Usagi drop. Twin Angel will sell like junk though, and may not even hit 1k.

You would be surprised what otaku will drop the money for (I'm talking about Twin Angel.)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Megiddo

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 7:07 pm Reply with quote
I was shocked that Hidan no Aria sold ~6k copies. So you are correct. One can never underestimate the Japanese otaku in their buying of generic tripe.
Westlo

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 7:08 pm Reply with quote
Idolmaster was well directed, well produced, showed restraint you rarely see in this type of show and introduced the cast in a unique manner through the mockumentary approach. It may fall into a heap later on and it won't be everyones cup of tea but does not deserve 0's.. especially from people who don't bother to watch scenes after the ED, a scene which would make a large portion of said review useless.

Megiddo wrote:
RyanSaotome wrote:

R-15 for some reason is really high on amazon rankings.

http://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/bestsellers/dvd/ref=sv_d_3

Last edited by Westlo on Fri Jul 08, 2011 7:23 pm; edited 2 times in total
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 7:10 pm Reply with quote
Westlo wrote:
Megiddo wrote:
RyanSaotome wrote:

Thats because you get a full size body pillow of the main girl with the first volume. I actually forgot about that when I made my post, so first volume might hit 10k, with a decline after that
Westlo

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 7:20 pm Reply with quote
Never change Japan.
EmbraceMe

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 7:22 pm Reply with quote
This isn't the right thread for this but I'll notify you guys anyways but No. 6 has been licensed by CR - It's also supposedly licensed by FUNi as well from what I've heard. Now I don't have to rely on fansubs for the glorious 720p (when available) to enjoy the beautiful animation.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 7:54 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
Westlo wrote:
Megiddo wrote:
RyanSaotome wrote:

Thats because you get a full size body pillow of the main girl with the first volume. I actually forgot about that when I made my post, so first volume might hit 10k, with a decline after that

Brb pre-ordering that....sad frog face
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 16 of 30