• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Kyoto Animation Unveils Swimming Team TV Anime Free! for July

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
musouka

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 1:53 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:

It's not. Given how much anime caters to obsessive markets you know they'd be the first people to cater to fujoshi if it was an actual profitable avenue like they jump on every bandwagon that shows profit. It's not as if it's some untapped gold mine every company just so happens to be too stupid to realize, it's been tried and met with poor to mediocre results plenty of times. Fujoshi have different buying and fandom habbits than otaku do.

You are wrong.

Let's actually take a look at the concrete data we have, spanning from about the year 2000 to present day.

One of the things I noticed was how very, very little anime was being made marketed directly at women around this time.

Top Ten Anime in Sales (Aimed at Women) 2000:

1. 6,617 Revolutionary Girl Utena: The Movie
2. 2,853 Angelique: Shiroi Tsubasa no Memoir (OVA)
3. 2,107 Ayashi no Ceres
4. 1,300 Akazukin Chacha (OVA)

That's it. One movie, a few Angelique OAVs, the Akazukin ChaCha OAV (Yay, Poppy!), and a single twenty-four episode TV series based on a Watase Yuu property.

Top Ten Anime in Sales (Aimed at Women) 2001:

1. 10,109 Fruits Basket
2. *3,355 Angelique: Seichi Yori Ai wo Komete (OVA)
3. *1,782 X (Movie)

It looks like business as...wait, what's that? Furuba sells on average 10K a disc? Better than recent offering from KyoAni, like Hoyuka and Tamako Market? Must be a fluke, we all know that women don't buy anime!

Top Ten Anime in Sales (Aimed at Women) 2002:

1. 13,904 Gensomaden Saiyuki: Requiem (Movie)
2. *2,644 The Twelve Kingdoms
3. *1,773 Haruka Naru Toki no Naka de ~Ajisai Yumegatari~ (OVA)
4. *1,380 Angelique: Twin Collection (OVA)
5. *1,378 Mirage of Blaze (TV)
6. *1,063 X (TV)

Well, at least we're almost to the point where there ARE ten properties aimed at women.

Top Ten Anime in Sales (Aimed at Women) 2003:

1. 2,198 Haruka Naru Toki no Naka de ~Shiroki Ryuu no Miko~ (OVA)
2. 1,751 D.N.Angel

Gee, why do women have to latch on to shows whose target audience is actually men? The market is serving them so well with their single handful of OAVs and a TV series for an entire year.

Top Ten Anime in Sales (Aimed at Women) 2004:

1. 8,580 Maria-sama ga Miteru
2. 5,659 Maria-sama ga Miteru ~Haru~
3. 4,101 Kyou Kara Maou!
4. 3,312 Mirage of Blaze: Rebels of the River Edge (OVA)
5. 2,607 Saiyuuki RELOAD
6. 2,595 Saiyuuki Gunlock (Saiyuuki RELOAD GUNLOCK)
7. 1,342 Angelique (OVA)

I'm including MariMite because the novels were aimed at women, even though they also had a sizable male fanbase.

Top Ten Anime in Sales (Aimed at Women) 2005:

1. 11,039 Honey and Clover
2. *3,940 Haruka Naru Toki no Naka de ~Hachiyoushou~
3. *2,395 Kyou Kara Maou! Second Season
4. *2,068 Kyou Kara Maou! Third Season
5. *1,965 Tactics
6. *1,820 Trinity Blood

Here is where it begins. Honey and Clover was the first noitaminA series in that celebrated block of time on Fuji TV. noitaminA was made with "the intention of expanding the target audience beyond the typical young male demographic" and part of the way of doing that was creating high budget series based on properties aimed at women. GEE, LOOK WHAT HAPPENED.

Top Ten Anime in Sales (Aimed at Women) 2006:

1. 11,089 Haruka Naru Toki no Naka de: Maihitoyo (Movie)
2. *7,378 NANA
3. *6,564 Maria-sama ga Miteru OVA
4. *6,378 Jyu Oh Sei
5. *6,241 Ouran High School Host Club
6. *6,110 Honey and Clover II
7. *3,714 Shonen Onmyouji
8. *3,045 The Story of Saiunkoku
9. *2,858 Jigoku Shoujo
10. *2,743 Gakuen Heaven

For the very first time in six years, there are enough series to actually make a top ten list. Not only that, but until you get to Shounen Onmyouji, all of the series are hits by any market metric. Not "blow up the market" hits, but more than enough to refute that there isn't a market in the first place, or that female-oriented anime can only "support" one or two shows a year. You might also take note: the lower the budget, the lower the sales.

Top Ten Anime in Sales (Aimed at Women) 2007:

1. 8,789 Nodame Cantabile
2. 4,184 La Corda D'Oro ~primo passo~
3. 3,037 The Story of Saiunkoku Second Series
4. 2,291 Jigoku Shoujo Futakomori
5. 2,023 Kyou Kara Maou! R (OVA)
6. 1,640 Ghost Hunt
7. **855 Okane ga Nai (OVA)

Again, notice a pattern. High quality adaptations make more money. Cheap, pump and dump titles don't. Also, sequels tend to drop pretty quickly, but so do sequels aimed at men.

The big news about this season doesn't even make the list, though. In 2007, an company known as "A1 Pictures" made an anime based on Ookiku Furikabutte, which was actually advertised in some places with the infamous "hand holding scene" between the two leads. Since it is technically a seinen property, I did not include it on this list. Despite that, I'd like to point out that it sold, on average 19,297 copies per disk. A1 noticed.

Top Ten Anime in Sales (Aimed at Women) 2008:

1. 10,237 Natsume Yuujinchou
2. 10,046 Library Wars
3. *9,575 Junjou Romantica
4. *4,904 Haruka Naru Toki no Naka de 3
5. *3,873 Nodame Cantabile Paris-hen
6. *2,140 Vampire Knight
7. *1,515 Neo Angelique Abyss -Second Age-
8. *1,497 Jigoku Shoujo Mitsuganae)
9. *1,465 Hakushaku to Yousei
10.*1,358 Neo Angelique Abyss

As we get more shows aimed at women with varying amounts of money put towards them, it begins to look more and more like a microcosm of the male-oriented market, with the more lavish productions making a nice chunk of change, and the lower productions probably getting by on what they can get from a die-hard fanbase.

Top Ten Anime in Sales (Aimed at Women) 2009:

1. 23,287 Hetalia -Axis Powers (ONA)
2. 13,972 Black Butler
3. 10,386 Zoku Natsume Yuujinchou)
4. *8,647 Kimi ni Todoke
5. *7,947 Eden of the East
6. *7,001 Junjou Romantica 2
7. *3,040 Maria-sama ga Miteru 4th Season
8. *2,007 Vampire Knight Guilty
9. *1,459 Ristorante Paradiso

The year in which women certainly didn't buy anime to the tune of 23K for a single series! Even more than fanboy favorites like "A Certain Magical Index"! What an unsustainable market! Why don't women buy anime, bawwww!

Top Ten Anime in Sales (Aimed at Women) 2010:

1. 14,940 Hakuouki
2. 13,441 Eden of the East Gekijouban (Movie)
3. 11,988 Hakuouki Hekketsuroku
4. 10,317 Hetalia World Series (ONA)
5. *8,107 Black Butler II
6. *3,747 Nodame Cantabile Finale
7. *2,106 Otome Youkai Zakuro
8. *1,750 Kaichou wa Maid-sama

We're still not consistently getting ten series/OAVs/whatever a year, but take a look at those sales for the top five.

Top Ten Anime in Sales (Aimed at Women) 2011:

1. 17,868 Uta no☆Prince-sama♪ Maji LOVE 1000%
2. 16,306 Hetalia Axis Powers: Paint it, White! (Movie)
3. 14,858 Hakuouki Sekkaroku (OVA)
4. 10,224 Natsume Yuujinchou San
5. *6,776 Kimi ni Todoke 2nd SEASON
6. *5,001 Sekaiichi Hatsukoi
7. *4,055 Usagi Drop
8. *4,008 Sekaiichi Hatsukoi 2
9. *3,479 NO.6
10.*2,531 Chihayafuru

WOMEN NOT BUYING ANIME, LADIES AND GENTS!

Top Ten Anime in Sales (Aimed at Women) 2012:

1. 9,269 Natsume Yuujinchou Shi
2. 5,167 Hakuouki Reimeiroku
3. 3,399 Kamisama Kiss
4. 2,344 Arcana Familia
5. 2,253 Kids on the Slope
6. 1,927 Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun
7. 1,903 Hiiro no Kakera
8. 1,179 Ai no Kusabi (OVA)

Fangirls to Market: Uh, yeah, no one buys OAVs any more. Stop dumping otoge adaptations you obviously don't care about making good just because we're enamored with the Shinsengumi and hilarious color-coded idols. Screw this, we're buying Kuroko no Basuke.

TL;DR: WOMEN BUY ANIME WOMEN BUY ANIME WOMEN BUY ANIME WOMEN BUY ANIME WOMEN BUY ANIME WOMEN BUY ANIME WOMEN BUY ANIME.
PrettyKitty$$$$$

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 4:23 pm Reply with quote
musouka wrote:
awesome and informative post

People are asking "what women want" as if we're some alien species and our tastes are super mysterious. All I want is a well crafted show that doesn't insult my intelligence or gender. It doesn't necessarily have to be pink and sparkly with a gaggle of pretty boys and a giant neon sign saying "for girls!".
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 4:28 pm Reply with quote
If you're going to count Black Butler as anime made for women, theres no reason you should ignore any other shonen adaption like Kuroko no Basket.
kyokun703

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 4:37 pm Reply with quote
musouka wrote:
Insanely awesome post.

That was a crazy good read. Thanks for sharing!
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 4:38 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
If you're going to count Black Butler as anime made for women, theres no reason you should ignore any other shonen adaption like Kuroko no Basket.

In the end it doesn't matter who it was targeted to initially.

The point is women do buy and support anime.
omoikane

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 4:44 pm Reply with quote
musouka wrote:
Let's actually take a look at the concrete data we have, spanning from about the year 2000 to present day.

Nice post...

The only thing I would add to that is the blatant disregard of media types in the listing. In other words, it's somewhat more impressive to see Black Butler doing 14k than 23K of Hetalia... or maybe once you do the math on the price per series, it comes to almost the same?

In fact it's kind of funny because short home video releases feed into the narrative about fujoshi not buying home video so much, which is something less true than 10 years ago, and something execs are actively trying to change today.

It's really kind of a wash until maybe the past 3-4 years when somehow they figured it out/worked out a production line in order to do this. It's also part of the bigger industry trend as the anime pipelines max out in market differentiation, in order to grow, it has to figure out how to do this "home video market for women" thing.

I think a big problem with talking about this subject matter is that there's no good way to figure out how many women buy stuff not blatantly for women. I'm pretty sure a good number of women bought things like Eva Q, for example, stuff that we just sweep under the rug, when it's these more "mainstream" titles that will take up the bulk of the disposable $ for most people, men or women.
musouka

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 5:03 pm Reply with quote
omoikane wrote:

The only thing I would add to that is the blatant disregard of media types in the listing. In other words, it's somewhat more impressive to see Black Butler doing 14k than 23K of Hetalia... or maybe once you do the math on the price per series, it comes to almost the same?

I did note when series were ONA/OAVs and when they weren't, alongside movies, which are obviously going to skew higher when it comes to numbers.

I deliberately left out Shounen Jump properties, even though it's obvious when women are supporting them (TeniPuri, Gintama, Kuroko, ect) because the point I was trying to make was media aimed directly at women, not as a byproduct. Black Butler might be considered an iffy case by some on a technicality, but let's be reasonable here.

I also left out stuff like Fafner, even though the only people that care about that series anymore are fangirls. Reports of the movie screenings kept mentioning something like a 90% female audience, but that series is pretty murky so out it went.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 5:06 pm Reply with quote
musouka wrote:
I deliberately left out Shounen Jump properties, even though it's obvious when women are supporting them (TeniPuri, Gintama, Kuroko, ect) because the point I was trying to make was media aimed directly at women, not as a byproduct. Black Butler might be considered an iffy case by some on a technicality, but let's be reasonable here.

Monthly GFantasy (月刊Gファンタジー Gekkan Jī Fantajī?), also known as Gangan Fantasy, is a Japanese shōnen manga magazine published by Square Enix. The manga series within the magazine target young male readers and tend to be set in a fantasy setting with large amounts of supernatural themes and a fair amount of action and/or horror scenes.

Its not a technicality. Its a shonen anime adaption. If you're not going to count Jump stuff, you can't count Black Butler.
musouka

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 5:12 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
Its not a technicality. Its a shonen anime adaption. If you're not going to count Jump stuff, you can't count Black Butler.

I consider most series (but not all) from GFantasy totally valid because of its reputation as a mixed demographic magazine. If you think A1 Pictures animated Black Butler for a male audience, you are crazy full stop.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 5:14 pm Reply with quote
musouka wrote:
RyanSaotome wrote:

I consider most series (but not all) from GFantasy totally valid because of its reputation as a mixed demographic magazine. If you think A1 Pictures animated Black Butler for a male audience, you are crazy full stop.

They didn't, but stuff like Kuroko isn't getting animated for the male audience either. Hell, Jump is the most read manga magazine by female audiences.
musouka

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 5:16 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:

They didn't, but stuff like Kuroko isn't getting animated for the male audience either. Hell, Jump is the most read manga magazine by female audiences.

I'm not counting Kuroko, sorry.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 5:18 pm Reply with quote
musouka wrote:
RyanSaotome wrote:

I'm not counting Kuroko, sorry.

Right, because it doesn't help your case when you admit there are quite a few big female titles out there.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 5:20 pm Reply with quote
omoikane wrote:
I think a big problem with talking about this subject matter is that there's no good way to figure out how many women buy stuff not blatantly for women.

Or how many men bought Natsume Yuujinchou, Eden of the East, Library Wars, or any of the Marmites.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 5:21 pm Reply with quote
>Musoka makes a very informative and fact-based post
>Everyone tries to downplay/find non-existent flaws/go "well fudge you bitch"

Sure is misogyny in here.
musouka

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 5:22 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
Right, because it doesn't help your case when you admit there are quite a few big female titles out there.

On the contrary, I'm trying to show that women have buying power in the market. You know what I think is more suspect? Why are you getting all mad over the inclusion of things like Black Butler, but not Tactics? Hmmm?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 45 of 58