• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: GTO: Great Teacher Onizuka DVD

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
uguu

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 3:36 am Reply with quote

Finally someone has the courage to stand up to those who draw funny expressive faces
CrownKlown wrote:
I don't think that is quite fair. I don't go around saying Metropolis, Astro Boy, the shoujo style shows like Utena look like garbage because I understand they came from different era.

I mean the shoujo art is so bad, its used as a joke in pretty every show when "romanticizing" character in some characters vision, and you can see just how bad it looks.

Plus I generally like the character design, same person who did Tokko and Rose Hip Zero and a few others. Its been too long since I saw it, but I don't remember it being anything close to bad, which is what I would rate something like shin chan art-wise.

Oh my god how the hell does Utena look bad by even the standards of this forum? It's like you just instantly disregard ANYTHING that you think 'looks old' because you have this weird idea that anime is constantly improving.

I was gonna defend the look of the MOVIE Metropolis but Tezuka's art is already really good. Few manga artists are half as impressive as him.
vanfanel

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 10:20 pm Reply with quote
2001? Pfft! Nothing made since 1982 will ever be "old."
jr240483

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 3:44 am Reply with quote
gedata wrote:
Not bringing up Steven Blum's great lead performance? C'mon

Asides from him, I did like the comedy way more in the dub, the extremely stereotypical performances helped a lot (like Kikuchi's supernerd voice and Anko's superb**** voioce). It makes up for the fact that it does bulldoze some of the drama, oh well.

Also, the soundtrack to this was pretty shallow as in it only has like 4-5 tracks, good tracks, but could've used a bit more variety. Also didn't dig the ending, the last arc could've gone on an episode or 2 longer.

Its the other known character other than Spike from Cowboy Bepop and Tom ( Toonami's Host ) that most anime fanatics know Blum since it was great. it as well as Samurai Girls High School are the only english dub releases from the now defunk Toykopop that doesnt suck at.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Zalis116

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 2:23 pm Reply with quote
chronoclast wrote:
What annoys me though is the subtitles which are exactly the same too. They could have at least updated those. The placement, font, and colors all really needed to be improved.
I can see where you're coming from on the other stuff, but the colors? I wasn't aware that the human eye had undergone rapid evolution in the last 10 years and made yellow somehow damaging or unacceptable.

jr0904 wrote:
[GTO] as well as Samurai Girls High School are the only english dub releases from the now defunk Toykopop that doesnt suck at.
From the first half of the series, Marmalade Boy's dub seems okay. Not great, but not especially terrible, either.
jr240483

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:36 am Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
chronoclast wrote:
What annoys me though is the subtitles which are exactly the same too. They could have at least updated those. The placement, font, and colors all really needed to be improved.
I can see where you're coming from on the other stuff, but the colors? I wasn't aware that the human eye had undergone rapid evolution in the last 10 years and made yellow somehow damaging or unacceptable.

jr0904 wrote:
[GTO] as well as Samurai Girls High School are the only english dub releases from the now defunk Toykopop that doesnt suck at.
From the first half of the series, Marmalade Boy's dub seems okay. Not great, but not especially terrible, either.

Well everyone thinks the dub version of samurai girls high school was good enough. never saw marmalade boy , but a lot of people liked it.

Unfortunately everything for them went south in a hurry when they pulled a Nelvana / 4kids moment and they butchered Rave Master to hell.

Not to mention how bad their version of Initial D was which was why Funimation did a redubbing when they licensed it. So in judgement they not as bad as the other two ( 4kids & Nelvana ) , but not good either.

at least some of their work wasn't Animax Asia atrocious.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
egoist

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 8:06 pm Reply with quote
ANN is well known for rating the best stuff badly, but deep down they loved it.

And that's how I'll sleep tonight.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2