• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Fate/stay night: Unlimited Blade Works (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jl07045

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 2:18 pm Reply with quote
Wow! Derpfaces, crappy CG, people standing there, bad edits. This episode had it all. I've been a bit underwhelmed by the second season, but this episode was the first I think was downright bad. At least the infodump sounded okay considering this is animation not just text.
Alberto7

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 2:24 pm Reply with quote
Whoa, harsh words there. I didn't notice any of that... must be blinded by my fanboy-colored glasses. Let them stay that way. Laughing
louis6578

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 3:32 pm Reply with quote
jl07045 wrote:
Wow! Derpfaces, crappy CG, people standing there, bad edits. This episode had it all. I've been a bit underwhelmed by the second season, but this episode was the first I think was downright bad. At least the infodump sounded okay considering this is animation not just text.

I think you're just being cynical. The CG was used well, in my opinion. What bad edits are you talking about? I think the second season is moving along well enough. I don't think any of the episodes were downright bad yet.

I admit that Rin's little internal thing about Archer might've come across as info-dumpy, but I'd hardly say that ruins the episode. It's building up to Shirou vs Archer very well, in my opinion.
jl07045

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 4:39 pm Reply with quote
It's a built up frustration mostly.
I've never seen good CG in TV anime and if you use it extensively like here it shows. About bad edits, I'm mostly talking about how the UBW sequence ends. It's a leftover from Shirou's point of view, but jumping from him tracing swords to him waking up after apparently losing consciousness makes it looks like some time has passed and everyone has been waiting for him.
Of course that whole sequence also creates the problem of why everyone is just standing around doing nothing, but that's a screenplay problem, when adapting to a visual medium with it's third-person point of view and different rules for how passage of time works.

I'd say that infodump is better than what I see as probably inevitable flashbacks that will ruin momentum like in Fate/Zero. Infodumps actually didn't bother me at all in the novel, because they sounded like retelling of myths, which I felt was quite appropriate since we're talking about mythic heroes. Again, it's somewhat different in a visual medium, but I'm much more lenient toward them than a lot of people here, if they are well told and in the right moment.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 4:51 pm Reply with quote
jl07045 wrote:

Although I don't quite share your distaste to the same extent for the animation in this episode, I'm personally disappointed by the visuals that were portrayed. Perhaps hopes were raised a little too high from the second season trailer.

Visually, the reality marble itself is more impressive than what I remembered from the spoiler[movie adaptation], but the actual fight between Shirou and Archer while the spell was active left a lot to be desired.

Compared to source: spoiler[Both the movie and this episode chose to portray Shirou taking out the projected swords using a pair of traced blades, assuming my memory is correct the source material was supposed to see Shirou repelling all of the thrown blades with his own blade shower. That the episode chose not to do this must be down to a lack of budget and a creative decision to save money for scenes later down the line. ]

I'm also displeased with the way they cut the fight short, maybe if there's an extended version they'll throw in the actual fight scene for Blu-Ray consumption but I agree that cutting to the scene with Shirou losing consciousness from his efforts was a bit of a let-down.

Rin's dream isn't portrayed that badly, but it leaves a bit of a sour taste that the director chose to put more effort into telling Archer's backstory when it could have been shortened and a little of the animation devoted to the fight which preceded it.

I do like the little touch towards the end where Gilgamesh calls Archer for what he is, for some reason that scene always stuck in my mind long after I'd finished the arc.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 1:32 pm Reply with quote
#19:

Back to the same pattern of having a week with lots of dialogue and little action before the big fight to come.

I appreciated the producers' little elaboration on Archer's ascension to his current job as a Counter Guardian. That was hinted at in the source material but I don't remember reading about how the contract was made or what the world's countervailing tendencies were portrayed as.

A few bones thrown to the Fate/Zero crowd as well as the Fate route in this episode.

Lancer's prevention of attempted rape did bring a few laughs. Unfortunately his time on stage is almost up; no surprises regarding Kotomine's appearance.

It's only at the end of the episode that the one track which has featured in every single Fate adaptation (Zero excepted) to date finally makes its appearance. I'm looking forward to next week when viewers should get to hear what the full version of the track sounds like as per Fukuzawa's interpretation.

Last edited by Harleyquin on Sat May 23, 2015 12:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 1:35 pm Reply with quote
Season 2, episode 7:

I actually kinda liked this episode although I heard there are some pacing issues. Regardless, it's nice to know a bit more about Archer's purpose and why he wants Shirou dead. Saber of course argues with her own ideology.

Another important part is Kirei's involvement along with Lancer. Somehow, this doesn't surprise me with a few death flags thrown in. A decent setup for the next episode based on the clash near the end of this week. Can't wait to see the fight next time.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 9:57 pm Reply with quote
Wow, I can't believe I made it all the way to the last two episodes without having Archer's identity spoiled for me. Needless to say, I would never have been clever enough to work it out for myself, but it's absolutely shocking I didn't stumble on the information somewhere.

Anyway, it's a pretty brilliant bit of business, I must say. Bravo.
Dessa

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 5:19 pm Reply with quote
I'm torn on how they did the spoiler[rape threat]. On the one hand, it's very triggering, and I'm glad they toned it down. On the other, spoiler[Shinji's repeated rapes of Sakura] play a huge part of Heaven's Feel, and toning it down would damage their adaptation of that part of the story.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 6:11 pm Reply with quote
Dessa wrote:
I'm torn on how they did the spoiler[rape threat]. On the one hand, it's very triggering, and I'm glad they toned it down. On the other, spoiler[Shinji's repeated rapes of Sakura] play a huge part of Heaven's Feel, and toning it down would damage their adaptation of that part of the story.

At this point in the VN, you have no idea what is going on in the Matou household with the exception that Sakura showed up with a bruise on her face, and Shirou came close to lighting Shinji up over it. So I'd avoid going into the whole HF route for now.

I should also point out that as of the end of this episode, Rin is *still* tied up in a chair, and both Shinji and Kotomine are there with her, so it's not like she's out of the woods yet -- not at all.
Dessa

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 6:17 pm Reply with quote
In the VN, and even in the movie, though, it was made pretty clear that spoiler[Shinji was planning on raping Rin], setting up spoiler[his] character for Heaven's Feel. The series thusfar has done a good job of adapting the VN route, including the points that help you to understand HF better, so them toning this down has me worried on how they're going to adapt that portion of Heaven's Feel.
louis6578

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 6:42 pm Reply with quote
Maybe I'm just expecting too much, but I was hoping that Ufotable might add in a part where Rin breaks out of her bounds, kicks Shinji away, and has a (short but cool) battle with Kirei, who defeats her and prepares to rip out her heart once more. Maybe I'm too expecting.
GhostStalkerSA

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 7:14 pm Reply with quote
louis6578 wrote:
Maybe I'm just expecting too much, but I was hoping that Ufotable might add in a part where Rin breaks out of her bounds, kicks Shinji away, and has a (short but cool) battle with Kirei, who defeats her and prepares to rip out her heart once more. Maybe I'm too expecting.

Nah, that'd never happen. The fandom would complain too loudly about such a change, based off of the amount they complain about the minor changes that have already been made in this series or the monologues that have been cut that they insist are absolutely necessary for understanding certain characters...

Also, spoiler[there's the second half of End of a hero to consider, with Lancer being the badass that he is...].

As I said in the Talkback thread regarding the review of this episode, Rin's situation in the Vn was actually quite a bit worse.

That's the state that Lancer finds her in. While it's not as explicit, your mind fully fills in what Shinji has been doing to her in the interim and what causes Lancer's backhand.

Speaking of which, Lancer backhanding the Shinji after finding him with the Berkana rune (and I will say that it was a great touch having the rune hit him in the head when it deactivated) was amazingly animated, and I will enjoy watching that sequence (both in gif and image form) repeatedly.
louis6578

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 7:53 pm Reply with quote
GhostStalkerSA wrote:
louis6578 wrote:

Nah, that'd never happen. The fandom would complain too loudly about such a change, based off of the amount they complain about the minor changes that have already been made in this series or the monologues that have been cut that they insist are absolutely necessary for understanding certain characters...

Also, spoiler[there's the second half of End of a hero to consider, with Lancer being the badass that he is...].

As I said in the Talkback thread regarding the review of this episode, Rin's situation in the Vn was actually quite a bit worse.

That's the state that Lancer finds her in. While it's not as explicit, your mind fully fills in what Shinji has been doing to her in the interim and what causes Lancer's backhand.

Speaking of which, Lancer backhanding the Shinji after finding him with the Berkana rune (and I will say that it was a great touch having the rune hit him in the head when it deactivated) was amazingly animated, and I will enjoy watching that sequence (both in gif and image form) repeatedly.

It's a shame they left in Shinji's implied molestation but not his beating of Rin. I'd have preferred it if she was more beat up so that what Lancer did would be more satisfying. Rin's a toughie, so I wouldn't feel too bad if she was a little beat up from whatever Shinji did.

I also wanted that Kirei vs Rin scene because A. They clearly need more padding, and they need to make it interesting. And B. spoiler[Unlimited Blade Works is the worst Route for Kirei Kotomine. Despite him being a badass, he gets to show it off the most in Zero and Heaven's Feel, we get hints that he's a cool villain in Fate, but in Unlimited Blade Works, he's incredibly minor. We barely even get hints that he's on the same level of morality or threat as the true villain, Gilgamesh.]
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 11:42 am Reply with quote
Season 2, episode 8:

That was better than I had thought although I'm not sure how I feel about Archer vs. Shirou. I really spoiler[liked the insert song they used thought in the second half. ]

Another highlight would be spoiler[Lancer's sacrifice after he got briefly revived.] Thought his character's exit was quite memorable this week. Not as good as buildup this episode although I didn't think that matters much.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 26 of 38