• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: A Certain Scientific Accelerator

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cam0

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 5:10 am Reply with quote
This whole fight between Accelerator and the robots has felt so drawn out, particularly when it's combined with endless annoying dialogue:

Mad Scientist: Now my robots are more powerful than you! Hmm.

Accelerator: HAHAHA! Come at me!

Mad Scientist: Behold the new powers of my robots! [ability explanation]. Not even you can stand against them now! Hmm.

Accelerator: You dreaming?! You can't stand against my evilness!! HAHAHA!

Rinse and repeat for the entire episode. I've typically been kinda indifferent towards Accelerator's cringy laughing and dialogue. But this show is making me hate it.
XerBlade
Subscriber
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:03 am Reply with quote
Theron Martin wrote:
Was the spell on that dagger only a single-use item? If not, why not try to stab Hirumi again right away? I can understand her being flummoxed by stabbing Hishigata when he jumped in her path, but that guy had it coming.

What, is a non-psychopath/sociopath who is also not a battle-hardened soldier not allowed to be extremely shocked over the fact that they just killed a living human being?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 12:49 pm Reply with quote
Shay Guy wrote:
*Googles*

...Why would you use that character design for a character named Esther Rosenthal?

Japan, you do realize Europe contains more than one phenotype, right?

I guess they are the inverse of when Westerners think East Asians look the same. I like that, like when they make a show with Italians and they are all tall and blond. Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
CrisGer A.A.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 2:56 am Reply with quote
I am really sad to have to post negative things about this series...as the first two esp of the entire set of series were brilliant. But now it seems they have lost their way with this, maybe feeling overpowered by what came before but for whatever reason, the directors and the senior staff need to take a weekend away to brainstorm together and see if they can get it back on track. if not..i fear the entire feel of the best parts of this story will be gone....buried under mediocre re tellings over and over like using of plushies of the characters instead of their real essence..it is becoming a shadow of what came before.

I hope they can save it..but this episode and most of the ones since the first two are just lost and wandering in the dark.

It is sad.
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2019 11:53 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The whole scenario, and the action leading up to it, also raises a couple of questions about practical issues. The length of time that Accelerator's actively using his powers is an issue. I thought it was established previously that the device allowing him to using his powers only works for a few minutes at a time, but between the last episode and this one, he seems to have been using his powers for much longer than that. Also, Hirumi's torso still wearing a bra even after transiting through her body was an eyebrow-raiser. Why bother with it if Taowu/Isaac has discarded any remaining aspect of Hirumi? It just reinforces my impression that someone in the creative team has a lingerie fetish.

Yeah, he hasn't been released from the hospital yet so we know this is before he upgraded it. The battery should only last for maybe like 10 minutes. I guess those are planet Namek minutes.

Honestly, underwear thing does continually feel more weird. If they weren't going to leave them naked, maybe they should have just given them some clothes.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 3:47 pm Reply with quote
SilverTalon01 wrote:
Even if city is a school town, that doesn’t
As for Anti-skill, their primary jobs are just teachers. I'd imagine a lot of it is wanting to help kids correct their paths. There are several specific Anti-skill people this holds true for who get enough time for the reader to know. Also, high level espers are suppose to be fairly rare. Remember Misaka 10046? She is a level 2 with 10,000 lives of battle experience, and she lost to one guy. A trained Anti-skill member with a taser and a shield can probably handle most espers in the city.

I know this is old(ish) but I rmemeber reading/hearing, probably in the railgun spinoff that a level 4 is comparable to a person having a gun.

SilverTalon01 wrote:
Quote:
Girls in undies seems to be a motif for this episode, as Hirumi – the girl who's been hanging out with the villain – is similarly clad.

I think all those undies are anime original too.

well, the manga had a lot of (barbie) nudity instead, so it's a compromise.
Treecko Tempo

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 10:26 am Reply with quote
Quote:
a slightly emotional scene where Esther finally puts Zombie Girl to rest
This was an interesting scene addition and change from the manga. In the manga she is never put to rest by Esther she is actually how Esther leaves Accelerator's room you can even see her behind the window curtain. It will be interesting to see if Esther is ever brought back into the manga if she is with her because that could cause issues with future event if she is still "alive", but if she is not I think this scene works as a really nice addition to the end of that arc from the manga.
Stiles

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 1:43 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, there's no way this is 'a step up' from Index III. The animation quality was slighty worse, character design was off, and the story is simply filler that only vaguely connects with the To Aru plot as a whole. What's more, they completely omitted the Index and Aleister cameos that should've happened in episode 10.

To put a just barely passable adaptation of a subpar manga above an anime that was, at worst, a 7/10, is frankly laughable. Yes, Index III was mismanaged at an already overly burdened production studio. But in spite of not being given a fair shake by Kadokawa, that overstaffed team still turned in a good looking and mostly faithful production.

Index III was absolutely a better show, front to back, warts and all. Accelerator was a step up over its source material, not an objectively better season of its parent story.

Railgun 3 will no doubt be better than Accel simply because:

1) The Railgun manga is stronger material than the Accelerator manga. The stories are better written and the art is MUCH better than the abysmal artwork that drags down Accel

2) The Daihaseisai. This arc will be what Railgun should be, less filler, more plot driven story. Assuming the adaptation is accurate, anyway.

3) The characters involved include Kamijou (don't care if you hate him, he's easily the most interesting character) as well as some great new characters and veterans from earlier seasons of Railgun, and even some from Index III.

4) Cute girls doing cute things goes down easier than a complicated narrative that can be difficult to follow

Even if Railgun has similar production value, it'll still be better than Accel. We didn't need this season of Accel, but I suspect its existence is meant to help fund additional seasons of Index and perhaps Railgun. Since Accelerator discs are going to be packaged with a new To Aru side story novel, like Index III had the new Railgun side story novel, I assume that's what all this diversification was for.

The way I see it, Index III suffered to drive more profits for the franchise as a whole and to (hopefully) carry us to a NT anime. I would be happy to see less negativity toward it, if only because it meant we got more of everybody's favorite beyond-all-criticism waifu.
Izanagi009

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 1:48 pm Reply with quote
Final Thoughts on Accelerator anime:
-I found that the editing and blocking of shots and action in the final few episodes to be awful. It felt incoherent and without impact. This combined with how the effects work seemed to degrade a bit over the course of the show led to the action feeling unfulfilling.
-The dynamics between magic and science in this show is interesting and illustrative of future events in the LNs but sadly, it's not expanded upon
-Accelerator as a character is an unusual case. He's stronger thematically than Touma and his vocal performance is better but i can understand how his "villain" act can grate on people
-Esther felt underused in the story and not enough of her own character independent of Accelerator
-The stuff with Issac, the seraphic tree and the Judaic elements will be stuff i need to check with people more versed in kabbalah.
-In the end, this show is still better than Index 3 by a long shot in terms of pacing and the like but i lost me near the end and it took a lot of effort for me to finish the show

edit: interesting to see black wing form this early in the time line but man that was an impressive display
Key

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 4:28 pm Reply with quote
Stiles wrote:
To put a just barely passable adaptation of a subpar manga above an anime that was, at worst, a 7/10, is frankly laughable. Yes, Index III was mismanaged at an already overly burdened production studio. But in spite of not being given a fair shake by Kadokawa, that overstaffed team still turned in a good looking and mostly faithful production.

Good-looking? Yes.

Mostly faithful? I'll take your word for it.

But it was also overstuffed and rushed to a seriously problematic degree. Accelerator did not have that problem. Hence I'll stand by my statement that Accelerator was better.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Nico_Astray

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 5:18 pm Reply with quote
No way this was a step-up. The finale was awful. The main villain was annoying, these terrorists were constantly shouting Justice and Accelerator became an empty protag who can only say Darkness and random insults. The writing was awful.
I did enjoy the first half, but form then one, maybe even earlier, it became my most hated who this seaosn.
And I consider myself an Index-Fan.
Taskforce

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 7:23 pm Reply with quote
You can count me as one Index fan that would be happy if Accelerator disappeared never to return. Easily the worst character (next to maybe Kuroko) of the entire series.
Izanagi009

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 7:31 pm Reply with quote
Okay, now i'm curious about what people are thinking in regards to this series and Accelerator as a character.

As such, if possible, please respond to this post with the reasons you don't think that this is better than Index 3 or why you dislike Accelerator as a character
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 8:47 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Good-looking? Yes.

Mostly faithful? I'll take your word for it.

But it was also overstuffed and rushed to a seriously problematic degree. Accelerator did not have that problem. Hence I'll stand by my statement that Accelerator was better.

I agree with you about the Accel anime for the reasons you stated. I disagree with the both of you about Index III being good looking. A good looking anime needs to look good in motion. Index 3 has some good looking still shots, but I'm watching anime not staring at key visuals.

Index 3's underlying story may be leagues better than this arc of Accel's manga. However, this was put together much better so I have to rate it higher. The Accel anime gets some extra points for exceeding its source material. It tells the complete story with some extra things fleshed out. Index 3 was pretty much 26 episodes of 'read the novels' which I have and are the superior way to experience those story lines.
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 8:51 pm Reply with quote
Izanagi009 wrote:
Okay, now i'm curious about what people are thinking in regards to this series and Accelerator as a character.

As such, if possible, please respond to this post with the reasons you don't think that this is better than Index 3 or why you dislike Accelerator as a character

The Accelerator series (both anime and manga) is fairly boring, but I like the character development he gets in the main series. You can't really have something where Accel himself shines because those moments are already in the main series, so you have these side-stories that don't matter at all. Kakine's Dark Matter manga on the other hand has a lot more ground to work with, I feel, and I'm looking forward to it.

I thought Index III was better than this season because I had more fun with that one, plain and simple. Several episodes of Accelerator were dull, and even the worst Index episode I managed to get something out of.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5