• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2008-06-13]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sidwarrious

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 12:35 pm Reply with quote
I'm glad people got a laugh out of Gay Axel, but they'd find it much less funny if they met him. Worst two hours of Akon...

Since everyone else is doin' it and I wanna be cool...

My confessions:

-I hate giant mech anime and mech anime in general, but I loved G Gundam.

-I still have a big talking Pikachu plushie, though he lurks somewhere in my closet now watching over my old pokemon cards. And I was 13 not 6 when I got and loved it!

-I've considered collecting the box sets of pokemon AND Yu-Gi-Oh!

-I've collected the first three manga of Saiyuki only to realize later that I completely hate it.

-I hate One Piece, but LOVE Rave Master for no adequately explored reason.

-I think Naruto's Japaese dubbing misses the mark by a John Candy's worth.

I have more, but my keyboard is defunct and I'm using the on screen one.

Thanks Zac for finally putting up one o' me letters.
-
Batman3777

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 2:03 pm Reply with quote
I liked Spirited Away a lot. I know it may have been for kids, but I liked it. I didn't think it was boring, I liked the characters (Susanne Pleshette did an awesome job), and I liked the visuals. I have not seen any of Miyazaki's other works, so I do not know how they are.

The first half of Inuyasha was great... but then it started repeating itself, and that go old fast.

Anime/Manga "gods" are whoever you like consistently, I would say. I think that's an individual thing, and there is no reason to make it or take it personal.

MGS is most definitely a movie in and of itself. Too much so at times.

Confessions:
1. I have an... intense attraction to Agent Paper

2. I like Happy endings, so consequently, I hate most anime (okay, so just the ends of most).

3. I've not seen NGE, Akira, or Escaflowne. They are too boring for me to sit through. Sorry.

4. I've never seen Gundam Wing, or any gundam prior to G Gundam. I don't want to.

5. I've purchased soundtracks to anime i have not seen, no do I want to see, I just like the music (AnimeRadio on aol).

6. I did not nor do I yet understand the anime "Big O"

7. I have watched a few anime and read a few manga soley for fanservice. But, then, they were most likely made for that purpose in the first place... which may be even more embarrassing.

I guess I am not really an anime/manga fan. There are so many "classics" and favorites out there than I have no interest in seeing/reading. I don't have the elitist/purist attitude that so many fans have. I just likes what I likes. No chance of me being "that guy" thankfully!
TheVok

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 2:09 pm Reply with quote
petran79 wrote:
Ghibili's films on the contrary and also the series and movies Miyazaki participated in the 70s, are more sophisticated than that. Except the artistic quality they go even further in narrative, reaching levels that a child could hardly comprehend or appreciate.

I disagree. You're underestimating children. There is nothing in the likes of Spirited Away that they do not comprehend or appreciate just as easily as adults ... they just don't go putting their comprehension or appreciation into words the same way.

If anything, children are generally better able to appreciate Spirited Away than many adults.

Children are not unsophisticated. They're just sophisticated in a different way from adults.
Kyosuke_

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 3:12 pm Reply with quote
First post ever here:

1. Nobody in real life (except 1 person) around me knows I like anime.
2. I have over 400 anime DVDs but I haven't watched most of them.
3. I actually have anime pillow covers.
4. The only Cowboy Bebop episodes worth watching are the church shootout, the last couple episodes, and the fridge lobster episode which was hilarious for some reason. The rest is throwaway.
5. Trigun is crappily drawn and paced, and I own it.
6. I must be one of the only people who haven't seen Code Geass, Bleach, or Death Note, nor do I care to.
7. Full Metal Alchemist is not the greatest thing since sliced bread. The show reeks of pretentiousness. I can't stand Ed and Al either.
8. I have tons of moe merchandise but don't really fully watch the shows.
9. I didn't even know Miyazaki made Totoro until I got into anime. Based on the rice paddies and the Chinese dub, I thought it was made in China.
10. I actually liked Robotech.
11. I've been to a couple maid cafes.
Pacific Pikachu

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 3:54 pm Reply with quote
Come on, everyone! Most of these confessions are so weak! Although perhaps I only think this because I'm accustomed to being completely open about my opinions on anime series/characters, regardless of what other anime fans think of me for it. Then again, I don't consider most of my opinions horribly controversial.

That said, here's my (rather big) confession for everyone:

I've spent well over $1000 on Pokémon merchandise...in the last year alone.
Treetastic

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 8:59 pm Reply with quote
I'm really glad that I wasn't the only person who hated the first season of FMA. It wasn't bad, but the manga was so much better. Loved the second season, though!
Sidwarrious wrote:

-I've considered collecting the box sets of pokemon AND Yu-Gi-Oh!
-

Erk. I wasn't actually going to do a confession, but...

-I've seen (er... enjoyed) every episode of both Yu-Gi-Oh series, and cried at the end of both. (That could have been the whole "wasted four years of my life watching this on TV" part.)

-I only watched Maison Ikkoku because my dad wanted me to.

-I feel like Akira was totally overrated. Loved the manga, loved the animation, disliked the movie. And now that it's been mentioned, I didn't like Princess Mononoke, either.

-The first anime I ever got on tape was Mao-chan, and was a present. The second anime I ever got on tape was Inuyasha, and was a present. The third anime I got on tape was hentai, and was a present. (At thirteen.) After that, no more anime presents. (*_O);
Sidwarrious

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 9:20 pm Reply with quote
Still using onscreen keyboard but I wanna finish my confessions.

-I sleep in a 5 year old pokemon blanket that has lost much of its 'comforterness' and I turn 20 on the 22nd, yet I've no plans on getting a new blankey.

-The only anime shirts I own are pokemon shirts.

-I've considered pawning the jewelry I inherited from my grandfather to feed my anime addiction.

That's it for me. My soul is clean.
Fabe

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 11:57 pm Reply with quote
My Anime confession; I am a fan of the Evangelion fanfic series "After Impact:The Audio Manga". I really hope the production problems that are currently holding back the release of episode 12 get resolved soon so can find out happens next.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 12:25 am Reply with quote
My first confession would have to be that I'm really not that big into Miyazaki stuff. I've seen several of his movies, but once was enough honestly. The second one is that I absolutely do not like Metropolis. Anyone I've talked to about it has at least liked it, if not loved it, but I really didn't like it one bit, and I watched the whole thing so I certainly gave it a chance. Final confession, I detest the idea of drawing high school age kids like they were elementary age. It just bugs me.
rekishi

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 5:22 am Reply with quote
well... about the only confession i can think of, is...

1. i like cute anime... (not specifically moe, but cute... i guess you could call it "Sakaki San Syndrome"...)

this coming from a 26 year old guy, living in rural australia, where all men are interested in is footy, cricket and beer... try explaining that to your mates when you're all sitting around the barbie on the weekend...

fortunately, i'v since resisted the urge to get that miyuki (from lucky star) plushy i found on the net the other week... but it's getting harder and harder to "thin out" the multitude of cute anime series in my collection with "manly action anime that men watch (oorah!)" so as to disguise my guilty pleasure...

but just looking at the series i'm collecting at the moment... Kanon, Tweeny Witches, Galaxy Angel, Rozen Maiden (if it ever gets back on it's feet) and (da da da daaar, who didn't see this coming...) Lucky Star... i think i'm doomed... Very Happy

p.s. does My Otome count as a "manly action series?" or am i just suckered in by the cuteness again...? bit of both i reckon -_-'....

EDIT: p.p.s. and a short answer for the question this week... Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind is my favourite Miyazaki film... i saw Warriors of the Wind on VHS when i was like 7... love it to death... only to find out it was the hacked to death version of the film... when Nausicaa was released in Aus a few years back... and i watched it for the first time... i could have died without complaint the next day... truly an awesome film...
zrdb

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 12:54 pm Reply with quote
I totally agree about Rumiko Takahashi-Maison Ikkoku is #2 on my list of all time favorite anime series-loved Urusei Yatsura, the Rumik World series wasn't bad-especially Maris the Chojo. But how about her other series-such as Mermaid Forest which is a dark and serious undertaking or the Anthology series? These are 180* out from Ranma 1/2. As for Inuyasha-no bloody way.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 3:07 pm Reply with quote
samuelp wrote:
Wait, so it's not a "confessional" anymore, but a "Reconciliational"? That name's just stupid!
You reconcile you finances, you confess your sins.
Makes me glad I'm not catholic. Or christian. Or a practicing jew.
Works for both in the same way. Wink BTW one of the 12 Apostles was a tax collector.

Zin5ki wrote:
Quote:
Pom Poko sucks. A lot. It's unwatchable.

At last something I agree with. I haven't seen anything worse than it so far.
Oh come on guys! Animals that can morph into anything simply by pulling their scrotum over their heads? It's pure brilliance! Laughing

Last edited by Mohawk52 on Sun Jun 15, 2008 3:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
championferret

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 3:01 am Reply with quote
I must confess, that I am sick of everyone's confessions being the same "I dont like popular anime X!" or "I have never seen popular anime Y!" as everyone else's. Originality, please!
_Emi_

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 10:31 am Reply with quote
PantsGoblin wrote:
Also, while Miyazaki movies are unarguably good, I don't think I hold him in as high of regard as most people. I don't think he's a god. And frankly I find it really annoying when people put him in such high regard that you simply can't say anything bad about his movies, ever. And yes, I know people who say that.

My feelings about Miyazaki are the same. While I do enjoy his movies and all, I'll take Oshi's pretentiousness any day. And out of his movies that I've seen, Porco Rosso is my favorite. It kind of puts me in mind of one of my favorite movies, Casablanca. Because of that feeling it gives me, I know that it won't be dethroned. Unless one of his movies puts one in mind of 12 Angry Men, which I know will not happen.

Don't really have anything to confess except that I am a moe and harem fangirl. Their is a Pastel Ink figure I want but I don't have the money.
MadHatter001

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 10:53 am Reply with quote
Okay for my favorite Miyazaki film, I'd have to say Howl's Moving Castle. It was great. Hands down. End of story.

As for confessions...

I watched all the Prince of Tennis episodes and was mildly amused by it.

I can't correctly pronounce hardly any anime title that is in it's Japanese name.

I still like Dragon Ball Z.

And I tried watching Bleach, but it's too long. I just can't make it which is a mystery since I made it through Dragon Ball.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 9 of 10