• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Crunchyroll, Funimation Announce Partnership to Share Content Via Streaming, Home Video, EST

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DuchessBianca

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 7:58 am Reply with quote
mangamuscle wrote:

As I said before, they are NOT streaming uncensored Masou Gakuen HxH now (do not know about the future) which is broadcast without beams of light/darkness in AT-X.

I rest my case.

Funimation is dubbing and releasing for streaming Testament to New Sister Devil of all shows in a couple weeks, DxD is one of their most popular and advertized shows and they have a whole slew of fanservice/nudity heavy shows. I'm pretty sure they are A-ok with extreme fan-service shows and the comtent they contain Haha

Last edited by DuchessBianca on Fri Sep 09, 2016 8:02 am; edited 1 time in total
matt78

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 7:58 am Reply with quote
I wonder if Funimation will help Crunchyroll get some of their shows on Toonami.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 8:24 am Reply with quote
I have really mixed feelings about this. On the bright side, I've been thinking for a while that there are simply too many companies competing for licenses in North America, and that license prices are getting to high for it to be sustainable. This could help ease that a bit, and help bring licensing costs down to more realistic levels.

However, I don't know how I feel about the two biggest companies in the R1 streaming and licensing business teaming up. I think I could have been more enthusiastic if it had been Viz, Sentai, or even Aniplex had been joining up with Crunchy. I don't think I can support a deal that has the potential to make it harder for smaller companies to compete, even if it may be more convenient for myself as a consumer.

Not to mention, how the dubs will be handled is a big question in my mind. I've actually enjoyed how we've recently been seeing more LA dubs from Bang Zoom and others over the past couple of years. I don't want to go back to a point where the vast majority of dubs are being done in Fort Worth. I do know Funimation does regularly bring in talent from out of town, and that's a good thing. However, there is a big difference between throwing one LA actor in your Texas dub, and actually having Bang Zoom or Studiopolis record it. Not to mention, some of my favorite VA's work almost exclusively at Sentai, and I would hate to hear their voices even less than I do now.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 8:31 am Reply with quote
Rivailloli wrote:
AT-X will air uncensored anime before the blu-ray is released. Anime does not always air censored as you claim.Unless you have an article on this then I'm gunna call BS. Uncensored anime have been airing for years on AT-X plus some other channels and the disc sales have ranged as it does with any other type of series.

Correct, but AT-X is a premium channel. You have to pay extra for it, and most don't have it. I'm also not sure if it's available everywhere in Japan. What I'm talking about are some shows that were aired uncensored on all channels. I don't rememeber the exact shows, but it was around the same time as when they tried lowering the price of blurays to try and sell more units. That didn't work either, and it showed what many were suspecting all along: the demand for anime in Japan is almost completely inelastic.
peno

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 8:42 am Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
mangamuscle wrote:
1) Start subtitling the op/ed songs. People watching dubs dislike reading subtitles, so having the op/ed subs matter to people that do have the habit of reading them.

You have no idea what you are talking about. CR doesn't sub the OP/ED because they are not allowed. The songs in anime require a separate license. Also, CR will not have anything to do with the dubs anyway.

Sorry, but this sounds ridiculous to me. If songs needed seperate license, then Crunchyroll should not even be allowed to stream them and should be forced to cut them off. They don't do that, so they clearly have the license. Besides, they usually sub insert songs, so what's the point of subbing insert songs and not openings and endings? Though truth is, Funimation does not usually sub openings and endings too, though I was pleasantly surprised to find out that they started to sub opening and ending for Cheer Danshii. I guess I should cherish it, since it's obviously an exception Sad
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 8:45 am Reply with quote
peno wrote:
Sorry, but this sounds ridiculous to me.

It is ridiculous. Sadly, it's also true. Music in anime is never owened by the studio making the anime, it's owned by the studio to which the voices belong too. Let me give you an example. In the monogatari faranchise the heroines usually sing the opening to their own arc. Except for the Shinobu arc. Because of the studio she belongs to. In Japan, things to have to be not ridiculous for them to be true.
configspace

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 8:46 am Reply with quote
All I can say is that I did not expect this at all. Very nice surprise.

angelmcazares wrote:
I am cool if this benefits Crunchyroll, Funimation and the N.A. industry as a whole. I am content paying for subscriptions to both services, but if CR gets a lot of desirable content from Funimation, I might just pay for CR.

I also smell monopoly, but I can tolerate it if it can prevent "outsiders" like Netflix and Amazon from taking over an industry that they might not how to correctly handle.

And I wonder if this further puts Sentai at a disadvantage in terms of acquiring new shows.

As far as Netflix and Amazon, they still only get the streaming licenses of broadcast versions. They don't release the home video versions. Knights of Sidonia went to Sentai and Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress went to Crunchyroll for example. So even with the major streaming services, it's only one half of the medium. And even with streaming only, I'm not too worried about fragmentation, because those other mainstream services appear to be very selective for exclusive titles. Hulu recently dumped most of their anime as it turns out to be costing them money without returns.

As far as Sentai goes, I do agree that this appears to be kicking them out of the club, now that CR is releasing home video versions and partnering with Funi.

DmonHiro wrote:
What I'm talking about are some shows that were aired uncensored on all channels. I don't rememeber the exact shows, ....

Lupin III Fujiko Mine aired completely uncensored on broadcast TV in Japan. Also, a few episodes of Sekirei were too. However, BD/DVD releases often contain more changes or additional content other than being uncensored.
crx07

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 9:00 am Reply with quote
Vannil wrote:
i think this is going to be a win. but the real question is though: does that mean the japan based publishers like aniplex, ponycanyon etc.. going to be on board with this?
I also have that similar concern. But more on Kadokawa. Kadokawa seems to hate Funi. If Crunchy respects Kadokawa, then there's no HxH Magias, New Game!, Ange Vierge, and Re:Zero. If Crunchy disregards Kadokawa, Kadokawa may partner to Amazon in the future. A disaster!
If Kadokawa still hates Funimation, and Crunchyroll does not want to lose Kadokawa anime, then there will be no dubs from Kadokawa anime like KonoSuba, Re:Zero, and Bungo Stray Dogs.

Last edited by crx07 on Fri Sep 09, 2016 9:12 am; edited 1 time in total
peno

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 9:08 am Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
peno wrote:
Sorry, but this sounds ridiculous to me.

It is ridiculous. Sadly, it's also true. Music in anime is never owened by the studio making the anime, it's owned by the studio to which the voices belong too. Let me give you an example. In the monogatari faranchise the heroines usually sing the opening to their own arc. Except for the Shinobu arc. Because of the studio she belongs to. In Japan, things to have to be not ridiculous for them to be true.

Sorry, I still don't get it and I have to repeat what I wrote before, if Crunchyroll didn't have openings and endings licensed, they should not even stream them. They do stream them, so they clearly have them licensed and if they have them licensed, there should be no problem with translating them. After all, as I mentioned, they translate most of the insert songs without any problem. Maybe I am just thick, but it simply does not make sense to me.
Vannil

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 9:13 am Reply with quote
crx07 wrote:
Vannil wrote:
i think this is going to be a win. but the real question is though: does that mean the japan based publishers like aniplex, ponycanyon etc.. going to be on board with this?
I also have that similar concern. But more on Kadokawa. Kadokawa seems to hate Funi. If Crunchy respects Kadokawa, then there's no HxH Magias, New Game!, Ange Vierge, and Re:Zero!.

I'm pretty sure they both had to run it by the publishers they have partnered with otherwise there would obviously be some issues.
Just Passing Through

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 9:14 am Reply with quote
peno wrote:

Sorry, I still don't get it and I have to repeat what I wrote before, if Crunchyroll didn't have openings and endings licensed, they should not even stream them. They do stream them, so they clearly have them licensed and if they have them licensed, there should be no problem with translating them. After all, as I mentioned, they translate most of the insert songs without any problem. Maybe I am just thick, but it simply does not make sense to me.

The songs will be licensed for use in the anime's credit sequences, but they'd have to pay more for the rights to the lyrics, getting them translated, and most importantly, getting those translations approved by the original music rightsholders. And they're simulcasting. It's not only money, but it's time that they don't have.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 9:26 am Reply with quote
dragonrider_cody wrote:
I have really mixed feelings about this. On the bright side, I've been thinking for a while that there are simply too many companies competing for licenses in North America, and that license prices are getting to high for it to be sustainable. This could help ease that a bit, and help bring licensing costs down to more realistic levels.

However, I don't know how I feel about the two biggest companies in the R1 streaming and licensing business teaming up. I think I could have been more enthusiastic if it had been Viz, Sentai, or even Aniplex had been joining up with Crunchy. I don't think I can support a deal that has the potential to make it harder for smaller companies to compete, even if it may be more convenient for myself as a consumer.

But does it have the potential to make it harder for smaller companies to compete? The biggest barriers to entry into the streaming and licensing business are probably the high cost of licensing and licensors' preference for working with known companies. If anything the deal, while probably not decreasing costs to the point where this wouldn't be a barrier to entry, it would at least, as you yourself said, bring them down to more realistic levels, or at least they would not increase as quickly or as much. As for the latter, that is entirely out of the hands of licensees so no deal would change that either way.
NitroNeon

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 9:27 am Reply with quote
This has me worried mainly because I'm not a huge fan of Texas dubs and wanted to hear actors from Canada, LA and New York instead.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 9:33 am Reply with quote
peno wrote:
Sorry, I still don't get it and I have to repeat what I wrote before, if Crunchyroll didn't have openings and endings licensed, they should not even stream them.

OK, let me try to explain this in a way you may understand. Paying to play the song during the anime OP/ED/Instert is one thing. But if they want to translate the song, they need a separate license from the music studio. Not only that, but any translation to the song need to be aprooved by said music studio before CR would be allowed to show the translated lyrics on the streams. That is more time, effort and money then it is worth to CR. They could, theoretically, get this done, but it wouldn't give then any benefit. How many people do you really think that would bring in? Do you think there are many people who go "I would pay to watch anime on CR, but man... without the translated song lyrics, it's just not worth it."? Be realistic. Now, some studios are easier to work with then others, which is why you sometimes get trasnlated lyrics. But that's the exception.

Bottom line, bending over backwards to get the OP/ED translated is not worth the aditional cost and time.
DuchessBianca

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 9:38 am Reply with quote
NitroNeon wrote:
This has me worried mainly because I'm not a huge fan of Texas dubs and wanted to hear actors from Canada, LA and New York instead.

I doubt Funimation would contract Bang Zoom or the like outright but with them stating they are increasing their dub budget I can see them hiring many LA actors to work with their usual talent for dubs as they have been much better recently in reprising the cast for animes based off games with LA dubs. Outside of Media Blasters it seems not much NY talent is used but Ocean might be getting some work if the Gintama rumors are true.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 10 of 13