• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
PR: Crunchyroll Sees Unprecedented Growth in Q1 2010

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bluefire2k5

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 1:49 am Reply with quote
This is a really good sign. Hopefully Crunchyroll will get nearly every anime simulcast as soon as it is released in Japan. That would be incredible.
Takeyo

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 7:43 am Reply with quote
J. Kudo wrote:
Now, how long till they become distributors of DVDs? Razz

Ugh, there are somethings people just shouldn't joke about. Wink
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 11:42 am Reply with quote
J. Kudo wrote:
Now, how long till they become distributors of DVDs?

If they ever got into that, I think it'd be using a DVD on demand system similar to createspace.com and not something that has them mass producing stuff and having to deal with inventory and shipping to stores.

I don't think they'd go in that route though, especially if it increased their licensing fees. They've placed their bets on streaming will probably stick to that. It's only going to get more and more popular as time goes on while DVDs have been trending down over the last few years.
agila61

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 1:08 pm Reply with quote
Mr. sickVisionz wrote:
J. Kudo wrote:
Now, how long till they become distributors of DVDs?

If they ever got into that, I think it'd be using a DVD on demand system similar to createspace.com and not something that has them mass producing stuff and having to deal with inventory and shipping to stores.

I don't think they'd go in that route though, especially if it increased their licensing fees. They've placed their bets on streaming will probably stick to that. It's only going to get more and more popular as time goes on while DVDs have been trending down over the last few years.

Also if Funimation and Sentai/Section23 have full R1 digital rights to some simulcasts, then one path for CR to go to boost their range is to get some streaming R2-ex-Japan and R4 rights and cross-stream to their US members from Hulu and Canadian members from a distributer YouTube channel.

Its a lot easier to do something like that if they are not competing head to head in the digital download and DVD distribution end, so the cross-stream can also cross-link to the R1 licensor for that kind of content.

There are some niche titles that they have the full distribution rights to, because nobody was in the market for the title and that was how they could get the streaming rights ... if I understand correctly, Aoi Hana is an example ... but its probably better for CR to work out a deal with one of the niche distributors like Nozomi for those titles then to try to distribute the titles themselves. And of course that kind of licensor/distributor relationship might also make it easier to negotiate streaming rights to expand their back catalog.
agila61

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 1:17 pm Reply with quote
_V_ wrote:
why did Bang Zoom openly declare that it is impossible to profit off of online videos, when Crunchyroll has been doing better than many R1 companies the pats 5 years?

If anything, this goes further to prove that "DVD" (or Blu-ray) isn't really the primary medium of anime anymore.

BangZoom is a dubbing house, and given that Funimation and Sentai have well over half dub-anime licenses by market share, BangZoom seems like the dubbing house that is on the hot seat in an industry shake-out scenario.

CR by contrast is almost all subs. Whether there is room in the US for six dubbing houses or only two, and whether CR is able to survive focusing on simulcast and back catalog sub streams on a combined ad&subscription model ... are quite different questions.

However, the role of physical media and the future of dubbing are two different questions. In the last ANNCast, the guest declared flat out that the digital download market demands dubs. If that is the case, then dubs there shall be - though its an open question whether BangZoom will be doing any of them.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2