• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Free! Swimming Anime Unveils 2 Female Characters, New Visual

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:33 am Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
scarletmoonwish wrote:

This should stop some black lash now for people complaining that it's fugoshi bait now.

Did adding Kyotaro and Hagiyoshi to Saki really make anybody think that it wasn't otaku bait?

Hmm the imouto yes, but how many out there have a fetish for older woman in anime?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
gatotsu911

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:58 am Reply with quote
Kohii wrote:
gatotsu911 wrote:
Is this enough for you, /a/?? Is the show not shit now??

Never. The male:female ratio is still not nearly satisfactory. It stands at 5:2 right now, when the accepted ratio is 1:10. This sausage fest still doesn't get /a/'s seal of approval.

How about if the female characters get naked?

...with each other??
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
scarletmoonwish

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:11 am Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
scarletmoonwish wrote:

This should stop some black lash now for people complaining that it's fugoshi bait now.

Did adding Kyotaro and Hagiyoshi to Saki really make anybody think that it wasn't otaku bait? And I say this as a pretty big fan of Saki. A few characters of the opposite gender doesn't really do anything.

It still will be target as bait, but some of the claims will die down.

Side note: This makes me wonder why a shows like Uta no Prince Sama doesn't receive the same controversy, it basically the same thing, all male cast with only two girls...Is it because it being done by Kyoto?
Megiddo

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:23 am Reply with quote
scarletmoonwish wrote:
Side note: This makes me wonder why a shows like Uta no Prince Sama doesn't receive the same controversy, it basically the same thing, all male cast with only two girls...Is it because it being done by Kyoto?

Otome game adaptations have been around since... I want to say HaruToki in the early 2000s? Yes, KyoAni being the production studio for Free is much of the reason for the, err, 'controversy'.
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:29 am Reply with quote
the original fanbase can suck it up. they got a second season of Chunibyo coming, they will live
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:46 am Reply with quote
I think the main issue is that KyoAni is thinking that otaku aren't as reliable of a market for them anymore because they've decided to take on some dull properties recently (Nichijou, Hyouka, Tamako) that haven't sold much... when in reality, those anime just aren't anywhere near as good as their stuff during the late 2000s like Haruhi, Lucky Star, Clannad, K-On etc. If they went back to making high quality shows like that, they wouldn't have any issue getting 20k+ a title.
zeo1fan

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:49 am Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
I think the main issue is that KyoAni is thinking that otaku aren't as reliable of a market for them anymore because they've decided to take on some dull properties recently (Nichijou, Hyouka, Tamako) that haven't sold much... when in reality, those anime just aren't anywhere near as good as their stuff during the late 2000s like Haruhi, Lucky Star, Clannad, K-On etc. If they went back to making high quality shows like that, they wouldn't have any issue getting 20k+ a title.

Maybe they want to do more than just pander to the lowest common denominator?
MrTerrorist

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:50 am Reply with quote
I'm calling it!

The sister will eventually date one of the guys!
AbZeroNow

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:52 am Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:

Yeah, I don't care about shows like that myself since its just some otome adaption done by A1 and they do everything. Same thing with Kuroko, thats Sunrise and they do everything.

Kuroko no Basuke is Production IG not Sunrise. Even though Sunrise especially its studio 8 has had a few big hits lately(Love Live!, Horizon in the Middle of Nowhere), I'm sure they'd love to have a bonafide hit like that too.

@zeo1fan Clannad isn't just some pandering otaku anime, it's a great anime. It's one of Sentai's best sellers for a reason. It's also up there with AnoHana for making everyone cry.(mostly After Story).

Haruhi is THE anime for me so yeah I'll defend that anyday of the week. The way the series handles time travel is really good, and I love how it is solid science fiction and yet isn't classified as having a particular genre.

Last edited by AbZeroNow on Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:57 am; edited 1 time in total
rahzel rose
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:53 am Reply with quote
So is Haruka wearing a swimming cap in that new picture? Can we say that this is a proper swimming show now? Since apparently that was a big deal with people before.

Also, I'm excited for the girls! I hope it does go the Oofuri route where there's a strong female mentor figure and the sister is badass.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:53 am Reply with quote
zeo1fan wrote:
Maybe they want to do more than just pander to the lowest common denominator?

But that's not what KyoAni does. Maybe you're looking for XEBEC or ARMS or feel or Hoods.

Last edited by Megiddo on Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:55 am; edited 1 time in total
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:54 am Reply with quote
AbZeroNow wrote:
RyanSaotome wrote:

Yeah, I don't care about shows like that myself since its just some otome adaption done by A1 and they do everything. Same thing with Kuroko, thats Sunrise and they do everything.

Kuroko no Basuke is Production IG not Sunrise. Even though Sunrise especially its studio 8 has had a few big hits lately(Love Live!, Horizon in the Middle of Nowhere), I'm sure they'd love to have a bonafide hit like that too.

Oh my bad, thought it was Sunrise for some reason. But still, Production IG doesn't really do shows that interest me for the most part so I'm fine with them doing whatever they want.
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:55 am Reply with quote
how many studios does Sunrise have?
Stark700

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:56 am Reply with quote
Gou Matsuoka huh? I bet she's going to cause some rumors/misunderstandings.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
zeo1fan

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:58 am Reply with quote
AbZeroNow wrote:
RyanSaotome wrote:

@zeo1fan Clannad isn't just some pandering otaku anime, it's a great anime. It's one of Sentai's best sellers for a reason. It's also up there with AnoHana for making everyone cry.(mostly After Story).

Haruhi is THE anime for me so yeah I'll defend that anyday of the week. The way the series handles time travel is really good, and I love how it is solid science fiction and yet isn't classified as having a particular genre.

BAHA! Is that a joke? CLANNAD is the HEIGHT of pandering to the Otaku fanbase. One word:

FUKO
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7