• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Japan's Animation Blu-ray Disc Ranking, July 22-28

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:45 am Reply with quote
Pokenatic wrote:
Wow, Attack on Titan didn't manage to post 2nd week numbers on the BD chart.

this week has alot of good numbers. sometimes, 4k is enough for #1. lol
danilo07

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:09 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I'm sure the "$100 million" bullshit was a reversal. More like 100 million yen. No anime, outside of 5 Ghibli movies(4 by Miyazaki and 5 written by him) has done over $100 million in Japan alone. 100 million yen is shit for GITS. And not GITS, was never popular in Japan. The fanboys are mainly from the UK and US and France. It doesn't have a decent sized Japanese fanbase. And yes, 14,000 is low for GITS. Read. GITS. Hell, since most OVAs are several times the cost of the typical TV program, 14,000 is at best, moderate. More like breaking even.

Do you have any numbers to back your claims up?Do you know how big of a budget was put in that one episode of it?Do you know how expensive the BD was?You said that budget was anything from $1-3 million per episode,well if that is true and if we do take it that they 100 million yen from box office in two weeks then there is a chance that they made their money back just from theaters.Lets not also forget that Arise also had its own merchandise,and that it was licensed to other foreign companies.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:31 am Reply with quote
danilo07 wrote:
Quote:
I'm sure the "$100 million" bullshit was a reversal. More like 100 million yen. No anime, outside of 5 Ghibli movies(4 by Miyazaki and 5 written by him) has done over $100 million in Japan alone. 100 million yen is shit for GITS. And not GITS, was never popular in Japan. The fanboys are mainly from the UK and US and France. It doesn't have a decent sized Japanese fanbase. And yes, 14,000 is low for GITS. Read. GITS. Hell, since most OVAs are several times the cost of the typical TV program, 14,000 is at best, moderate. More like breaking even.

Do you have any numbers to back your claims up?Do you know how big of a budget was put in that one episode of it?Do you know how expensive the BD was?You said that budget was anything from $1-3 million per episode,well if that is true and if we do take it that they 100 million yen from box office in two weeks then there is a chance that they made their money back just from theaters.Lets not also forget that Arise also had its own merchandise,and that it was licensed to other foreign companies.

Its Tenjin (or Tenjin's american cousin), you can safely ignore anything he posts.
kazziyan

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:34 am Reply with quote
Did Railgun S do decent enough? I remember reading something about it not selling, but I don't know if that much is good for Toaru.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:37 am Reply with quote
kazziyan wrote:
Did Railgun S do decent enough? I remember reading something about it not selling, but I don't know if that much is good for Toaru.

ANN's reporting on sales data is atrocious, I highly suggest if you are interested to keep track of this thread over on the Mania forums.

Also ANN never reports the full lists that are released on Thursdays.

Anyway Railgun did 16k, which is less than Railgun S1, but more than Index 1 and about the same as Index II. So it did pretty well.
kazziyan

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:58 am Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
kazziyan wrote:

ANN's reporting on sales data is atrocious, I highly suggest if you are interested to keep track of this thread over on the Mania forums.

Also ANN never reports the full lists that are released on Thursdays.

Anyway Railgun did 16k, which is less than Railgun S1, but more than Index 1 and about the same as Index II. So it did pretty well.

Thanks a lot, Fencedude. And I'll use that then. Smile
Ingraman

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 1:20 pm Reply with quote
Yay! I'm happy to see Madoka seems to have sold well. I ordered a copy of the LE, but from AnimateUSA (meaning that I won't see my copy until Thursday at the earliest), so my purchase probably doesn't factor in to this list.

It's great to see Yamato 2199 sell fairly well. I just watched my Blu-ray yesterday. I'm quite happy with 2199, and so I'm disappointed that the wait until the final BD seems so long. 2199 doesn't even get the benefit of Yamato nostalgia goggles, since I managed to never see Starblazers or any of the Yamato movies. ^^;

I had Railgun S in my Amazon order as recently as last week, but I cancelled it. The Sisters arc is pretty good, but I'm still not sure if the anime has offered enough over the manga version to spend that much. And Touma is there. Maybe if the post-arc story is interesting enough, I'll put it into one of my upcoming orders.

GitS:Arise is another that was cancelled from my Amazon order, but that's because I can get the Funi import via TRSI for less than the Amazon price.

Vividred 5 also arrived with Yamato 2199, Chuu2 BD 7, Hataraku Maou BD 1, Porco Rosso, Shin Sekai Yori BD 10, Tamako Market BD 5, Yamato 2199 MV Series BD, and Akibaranger 2 BD 1.

And I just confirmed my order with AmiAmi for the two Girls und Panzer cycling jerseys/shirts. ^^;
luffypirate

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 1:57 pm Reply with quote
YEAH MADOKA. My Animate order does not count but still nice number. Excited for the package.

Also, YamadaKun, your claims need sources otherwise all we are reading is asstalk.
dtm42

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:30 pm Reply with quote
YamadaKun wrote:
Anime movies are very cheap to make. Something like under $900,000-$2.5million on average to make.

And yet the average Anime movie aimed at adults makes less than that at the box office, so yeah, my point stands.

danilo07 wrote:
well if that is true and if we do take it that they 100 million yen from box office in two weeks ...

Well, there's no way it was one hundred million dollars. Anyone who believes that fantasy must be a pothead.
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 3:12 pm Reply with quote
Looks like a really strong week for anime on BD in Japan.
Rivailloli

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 4:36 pm Reply with quote
It's looking like this season of UtaPri may just do better than last season.

I'm glad.
dtm42

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:19 pm Reply with quote
^
It does look that way. The second season of Uta-Pri has been comprehensively outselling the first season so far, and if it can keep up the momentum then it will easily outstrip the first season. Even volume two which didn't have an event ticket still sold well compared to the event-ticket volumes from season one.
danilo07

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:45 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Well, there's no way it was one hundred million dollars. Anyone who believes that fantasy must be a pothead.

Well yeah but I dont think that movie was in theaters for only two weeks,which means that it must have made more money then 100 million yen,very small amount though.
YamadaKun

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:59 pm Reply with quote
@dtm42 Madoka movies 1-2 and K-On would love to disagree with you. So would Only Yesterday and Akira, as well as Porco Rosso*, Kaze Tachinu and many more adult films. Japan, believe it or not has a the "Animation Age Ghetto" shtick as we have in the West, I guess, though to a much lesser extent.

@Fencedude Yeah, I'm from America, specifically the Bay Area, specifically Sunnyvale, which is nice and quiet and peaceful, unlike Tenjin, who I repeat is from Toronto, Canada, which is noisy, has more crime and is not so nice. Also, I don't see you proving me wrong. Most of what I say about GITS' popularity in the West compared to Japan is somewhat true. I was corrected. It was moderately successful in Japan, in the form of Kamiyama's Stand Alone Complex series, but it's not a cult classic or as appreciated as it is in the West. It won like 1 award in Japan, but virtually no praise or anything. In the States, back in the day, it was numbed 1 on the Billboard charts and the VHS sold 1 million copies, at least $10, which means it made back its full budget. This is not to talk about the rest of the west or its DVD sales in the States as well. You probably were not born in during the time GITS enjoyed mainstream success in North America. During the boom, I guess.
dtm42

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 5:36 pm Reply with quote
^
You don't know what the definition of "average" is; have you actually finished primary school? Am I speaking to a little kid? Because if you're a teen or God-forbid an adult then that's just too sad.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3