• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Pokémon XY Episode About Sunken Passenger Ship Delayed

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 5:14 pm Reply with quote
People complain about the tsunami in the upcoming Godzilla movie.
mdo7

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 5:17 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:

Yeah I remember hearing about that, I thought that was a bit ridiculous.

Off topic: the Korean show, we got married has been criticized for filming in the water of indoor pool in the midst of the Sewol tragedy. I find that one more ridiculous
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DisneyLM

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 5:53 pm Reply with quote
For the Love of God!! Why should an episode should be sidetracked all because of some real world event that corratles to the fiction that is in this episode!? Just do what Robotics;Notes do, before the epsiode starts it state that (Something about for added realism, this is not real-something) point is....it's not like this epsiode was made the day before air date, it was schuduled, and made way before some crap that happened. You wanna know what should be delayed!? The tons of innaopporite, and hilaruoud funny Japanese commericals that your child will be exposed to right after Pokemon is over for the day, and he changes the channel. (Boo hoo, cry me a river, and grow a pair.) Titanic-Titanic people...2 Towers-2 Towers, Bombing Marathon filled with self-proclaimed while folks, it happens, then you either sit there, and mourn over it OR you move on!! (How nice of you to correct me with some words that I got wrong. You know what!? I'm not gonna even correct myself even though the see the red lines which would easily correct it for me.)
Waffitti

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 6:30 pm Reply with quote
This time it seems like the banned Pokémon episode of the year won't have the writing staff having to make an entirely new "big event of the season related to the evil team of the generation" plot. Nice.
Lusbox

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 6:34 pm Reply with quote
DisneyLM wrote:
made way before some crap that happened.

Real respectful.
I get your point, but I'm sure there was a more polite way to express it.
Lynxikat

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:18 pm Reply with quote
This seems to keep happening to Pokemon, doesn't it?
Mister Ryan Andrews

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:24 pm Reply with quote
Lynxikat wrote:

Same episode as last time too. Episode 24, the one right before a Gym Battle.

The anime is cursed.

Even though it's probably filler, I enjoy underwater ruins/ships episodes so it's a bummer. Ah well. At least we still have Serena's rival and Fake Satoshi episodes to look forward to.
Lynxikat

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:07 pm Reply with quote
Mister Ryan Andrews wrote:
Lynxikat wrote:

Same episode as last time too. Episode 24, the one right before a Gym Battle.

The anime is cursed.

Even though it's probably filler, I enjoy underwater ruins/ships episodes so it's a bummer. Ah well. At least we still have Serena's rival and Fake Satoshi episodes to look forward to.

Haven't most of the episodes being delayed/banned been filler episodes, though? It's obviously better that the filler episodes are delayed instead of the ones relevant to the plot, but still man, what's wrong with this anime and its banned episodes? Yeah, it's been airing for what, two decades now, and of course you'd think that a few episodes would be banned, but there are other anime that have 600+ episodes like Pokemon has & they've never had any sort of delayed or banned episodes.

I'm starting to think that there should just be a DVD release of every single Pokemon episode that was ever banned or delayed.
Waffitti

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:29 pm Reply with quote
Lynxikat wrote:
Haven't most of the episodes being delayed/banned been filler episodes, though?

The two-parter that were delayed because of the earthquake/tsunami/meltdown a few years ago, Team Rocket versus Team Plasma, would be the first time Giovanni appeared in person in a decade and the debut of Team Plasma. The writing staff ended up re-writing what they had planned for Black & White, and we ended up getting an episode where Giovanni's Persian fights for the first time.
Sheleigha

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:15 pm Reply with quote
Sometimes I feel like TPCI is way too care bears with their sensitivity towards not offending/hurting any one. No more Porygon (or 2 or Z...) for an incident that HE didn't even directly cause... Wishcash episode also suffered a banned fate because of a recent earthquake, and then the 2-parter of plot importance from Best Wishes! that involved earth tremors right after Tohouku, and now a sunken ship adventure...

I know it's bad timing and even after 9/11 stuff in America got cut from movies (like the Spider-Man Twin Tower commercial) and even TV shows like the Simpsons (when they go to New York) had warnings before it about how the episode may have 'sensitive material'.

....I really wanted to see the ep with Skrelp and Dragalge in it too v_v

Last edited by Sheleigha on Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
KH91

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:18 pm Reply with quote
Remember the episode in season 1 when Satoshi and friends were on the ship, and he traded his butterfree(then traded back). Later in that episode, the ship sinked(with him on board?).
Sheleigha

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:19 pm Reply with quote
KH91 wrote:
Remember the episode in season 1 when Satoshi and friends were on the ship, and he traded his butterfree(then traded back). Later in that episode, the ship sinked(with him on board?).

What of it? It was an obvious Titanic parody which was still new at the time.
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:20 pm Reply with quote
I don't blame the "Pokemon" people for delaying this episode for a while. I think it can wait until another time. There are also a lot of Koreans who live in this country as well as Japan. Recently,a Japanese diplomat came to New Jersey to protest a monument to the comfort women that was placed in an area of a small town there. I don't see what the big deal of it was. It wasn't in Japan,it was in America. The Korean-American community had a First Amendment right to do what they did.
The Japanese government may have been well within it's rights to be angry but they had no right to tell the Korean-American community what sort of monument they could or could not raise. As for the South Korean ferry,there might be relatives of Korean-Americans or Korean-Americans themselves among the dead. At least,the "Pokemon" people did the right thing in doing this. A delay of a few weeks or months won't hurt anyone.

Last edited by Snomaster1 on Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
Aquasakura

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:40 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
I find this really unnecessary. Now, if they were making a joke about a ferry sinking, then I could understand a delay/cancellation, but these are pretty different things and the only similarity is that they're both boats.

Gasero wrote:
It seems like a filler episode, but this over-sensitivity to real life events is annoying.

Things happen in real life. People need to get over it. Perhaps the entire Pokemon franchise should be taken down due to the animal cruelty taking place across the world?

Are you telling me the sunken ship would have been okay otherwise? Why is that? Proximity to current events shouldn't deter these things.

mdo7 wrote:
enurtsol wrote:

Yeah I remember hearing about that, I thought that was a bit ridiculous.

Off topic: the Korean show, we got married has been criticized for filming in the water of indoor pool in the midst of the Sewol tragedy. I find that one more ridiculous

DisneyLM wrote:
For the Love of God!! Why should an episode should be sidetracked all because of some real world event that corratles to the fiction that is in this episode!? Just do what Robotics;Notes do, before the epsiode starts it state that (Something about for added realism, this is not real-something) point is....it's not like this epsiode was made the day before air date, it was schuduled, and made way before some crap that happened. You wanna know what should be delayed!? The tons of innaopporite, and hilaruoud funny Japanese commericals that your child will be exposed to right after Pokemon is over for the day, and he changes the channel. (Boo hoo, cry me a river, and grow a pair.) Titanic-Titanic people...2 Towers-2 Towers, Bombing Marathon filled with self-proclaimed while folks, it happens, then you either sit there, and mourn over it OR you move on!! (How nice of you to correct me with some words that I got wrong. You know what!? I'm not gonna even correct myself even though the see the red lines which would easily correct it for me.)

I agree with everyone mention above. In fact I have the exact or similar thoughts as comments mention whenever I here news such as this or see people try to play it safe. It's actually quite nice to know that I'm not the only one who has these thoughts. I don't want to come off as being a jerk or feel that I am being a terrible person, and it's sorrying to here those who lost their lives/those who lost live ones in that incident. However I don't think this episode needed to be banned as it has very little to do with the incident as Kougeru mention. Now if this was going to be like the S.S Ann episode in the first anime I would understand as it does involve a cruise sinking, but it didn't seem like that was going to be the case with this episode.

Hellwarden wrote:

The thing is, Japan and Korea relations have for quite some time, been unfriendly. Now, I don't want to assume anything, I'm not an expert on the relations between these countries, but....

....The Wind Rises pissed off a bunch of Koreans, because many felt it portrayed Japan in too kind a light. Many wrote it off as "right wing trashed."

Going off topic I just would like to know where the people who had a problem with The Wind Rises are coming from, because when I watch it I got the impression I was watching story about the life of someone who happen to end up living in Japan during the Depression/WWII who just wanted to build air planes (to me it was like watching a biography movie). I don't see how the movie could portray Japan in a too kind a life (or glorify it) as its main focus was on a single person and his dream instead of the Japanese government. It certainly wasn't, nor felt like, those propaganda movies to make a country look good, like the one Disney was force to make during that time period to make the U.S seem good for example.

I'm just curious and I want a better understanding of their view.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Manga
Sheleigha

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:44 pm Reply with quote
Snomaster1 wrote:
At least,the "Pokemon" people did the right thing in doing this. A delay of a few weeks or months won't hurt anyone.

The problem is that it will probably NEVER come back. The last 3 eps that involved earthquakes were never mentioned again, and even left a bit of a weird plot hole... At least we got the fishing episode, but that was another case of the Classic series, when the winter episodes later aired (and Charmander 'de-evolved', because of the ordering).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3