• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Olympic Athletes Prepare for Pokémon Go Withdrawals in Rio

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
peno

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 9:02 am Reply with quote
I am shocked that Brazil still didn't get Pokémon Go, while my small, ex-communist country got it. One must wonder how the people in Niantec think about locations to where release Pokémon Go.

Psycho 101 wrote:
They won't. Just as Fifa and it's corrupt bs heads won't back out of the World Cup in Qatar despite the heat and massive amounts of deaths from slave labor to build the stadium. With the Olympics and Fifa if you wanted them to leave you'd have to convince the financial supporters to back out. Get your Coke, McDonalds, Etc sponsors to back out and then you'd see change.

Unfortunately, the sponsors are not that influential, since when one backs up, another one will quickly replace it. Just like when Coca Cola stopped sponsoring UEFA events, Pepsi quickly took its place. And the big organisations know that, unfortunately, so sponsors are the last ones they worry about.
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 9:09 am Reply with quote
Don't worry everyone, Brazil has Pokémon GO now.
You can go back to getting the zika virus and an assortment of diseases in Rio's waters now. Don't come to São Paulo to watch football though, that's on my way to work and I don't want to be crowded by a bunch of gringos. Much less Pokémon GO-playing gringos.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 12:59 am Reply with quote
killjoy_the wrote:
Don't worry everyone, Brazil has Pokémon GO now.
You can go back to getting the zika virus and an assortment of diseases in Rio's waters now. Don't come to São Paulo to watch football though, that's on my way to work and I don't want to be crowded by a bunch of gringos. Much less Pokémon GO-playing gringos.

But doesn't São Paolo already have grievous traffic problems, ones so bad that they put cities like Honolulu and Bangkok to shame?
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 6:26 am Reply with quote
Well the football stadium is right next to a subway line so I don't know why people would try to drive there. Maybe to not get crushed inside the filled-to-the-brims subways, I suppose. But you haven't really been to São Paulo unless you took a crowded subway.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 5:10 pm Reply with quote
Well, if the tourists are coming from a place where driving is absolutely necessary because alternatives are bad or nonexistent, like Texas or Shanghai, they'll probably want to drive everywhere by default. You also have tourists who might not know the stadium's next to a subway station and try to drive there. I can imagine a lot of congestion near subway stations though as people attempt to find somewhere to park nearby.
Polycell

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 6:04 pm Reply with quote
RitsuLaw wrote:
After the World Cup fiasco I think that the football stereotype sort of went down quite a bit. Laughing
I always got the impression that there wasn't a single place in South America was a ref safe if the crowd thought he made a bad call. Do Brazilians not do that?
Quote:
And yeah, you'd think that after the World Cup people would start to realize that something wrong may be going on, but I'm still hopeful that things will be different now with the Olympics, seeing that the international media is showing a lot more than they did back then.
People are already realizing that Rio's a more-litteral-than-metaphorical shithole thanks to zika, but that probably won't scare away too many people who already planned on attending the Olympics. In the long run, everybody will go back to not caring once they've been back long enough to know they're not carrying any horrible diseases. That's the iron law of the Olympic cycle.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2