• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Occultic;Nine

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 1:19 am Reply with quote
I'll join the dissenters and say the story was relatively easy to follow and I wouldn't have minded if the whole show proceeded at the pace of Ep1. I too think Gabriella made some assumptions about the identity of "Curse Girl", "Radio Voice" and kidnapper but I'll have to check it out. "Kid Detective" reminds me of Case;CLosed (and zernzle500). Hey Gabriella, now you can relate to what "newbie" Paul Jensen got stuck with on Big Order, etc. so I'll say "ganbatte" to you too...
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 1:54 am Reply with quote
Review wrote:
Cut to Sarai griefing Miyuu on her fortune telling, but he shuts up fast when Miyuu predicts that he should try to contact his dad right now. (Because he was just murdered.) Cut again.

Wasn't that scene happening on the 19th, and Aikawa "Myū" Miyū's warning was because of the doctor's imminent death on the 22nd?
kgw

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 7:03 am Reply with quote
Yup, Miyu warning Sarai was days before his father was murdered. In fact, the same scene appears in episode #1, during the "main" timeline.
CheezcakeMe

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 4:30 pm Reply with quote
Wow, I remember when people were complaining that Subaru from Re:Zero talked too much but the main character from this show takes the cake! I just wanted to shove a sock down his throat.
The show does have some potential but trying to keep up with the subtitles of that hyped up maniac's blathering made me woozy.
Yreva

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 6:34 pm Reply with quote
I didn't think it was that hard to follow honestly. It's energetic yet grim and I can't wait for more
gedata

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 9:37 pm Reply with quote
killjoy_the wrote:
So I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that I'm the only person who thought the second episode was worse than the first, and specifically because it sort of slowed down and had less Gamotan.
I fail to see how either of those aren't an improvement
dm
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 1:13 am Reply with quote
I thought the first episode was a bit scattered, but not much worse than Mekakucity Actors or Horizon on the middle of nowhere (the latter I loved for its mad pace and richly detailed world). The slow-down in the second episode was welcome to me, and gives me hope for what comes next.

I don't mind a show that requires multiple viewings to get all the juice out of it, as long as there actually promises to be juice.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 2:17 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Apparently, she goes to school with Yuta and Gamon.

I think you meant Yuta and Ryoka. Smile I also understood it the same way ThatGuyWhoLikesThings did, that Yuta definitely wasn't talking to Ryoka and didn't know who it was.

I'm one of those people who usually needs to take notes to follow anything with more than 4 main characters. So these reviews are a godsend, if I'm to have any hope of keeping up with this. It's looking pretty interesting so far though. I just hope it doesn't drive off a cliff like Robotics;Notes did. That pissed me off so much I couldn't even finish it.

One thing I really enjoyed was the fortune-telling sessions. I don't know if it'll even come up again, but I have a feeling what Miyuu saw for the terminal man was something like his having been uploaded into a mainframe when he died. Are her cards self-made from when she was a child, or are they changing as she does the spread? (I see in my crystal ball...they will be for sale if the series does well)
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 1:57 pm Reply with quote
Seems Gabriella in last week's column spoilered this week's reveal that "Curse Girl" was indeed Ria, with the dead older brother. Since this episode aired as planned, I'd guess the production committee just wanted to fix something in the first two episodes and will probably re-release them when they get it done. Maybe the rapid cuts and dialog, which have largely disappeared from the last couple of episodes, was deemed inconsistent.
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 2:51 pm Reply with quote
^ wouldn't make much sense imo to remove the second episode too if "the last couple of episodes" didn't have it
kiminobokuwa

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 12:14 pm Reply with quote
Didn't they remove the series from all streaming sites?? How are you reviewing this episode??
Vannil

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 12:23 pm Reply with quote
kiminobokuwa wrote:
Didn't they remove the series from all streaming sites?? How are you reviewing this episode??

it seems like they only took off the first 2 episodes
dm
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 6:02 pm Reply with quote
Now that all the episodes are back, I'm starting to think that I should go back over the first few to try to sort out what I've seen.

I don't mind chaotic direction that begs for multiple viewings to fully appreciate when it is done well (Baccano!, Du-ra-ra-ra, Nadesico: Prince of Darkness, Horizon on the middle of nowhere). But I feel like Occultic;Nine is at risk of not seeming to be worth a reviewing. If I do it now, instead of waiting, maybe I'll appreciate the series more --- like enough that I think it's worth taking the time for multiple viewings.
kgw

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 12:55 pm Reply with quote
I want to point out one thing about the connection between the BL doujinshi and the murder of Professor Hashigami. spoiler[The one who related one to the other is "otaku detective", Shun Moritsuka.
He said to Ririko (doujinshi author) that his nick was "Hello I'm Zenigata", and that's the name signing the comment in KiriKiri Basara's web]

Also, I am baffled on why spoiler[Yuta/Gamotan/Gamota-kun/Gamo-senpai hasn't been arrested yet. I mean, the police should got his fingertips, footsteps, everywhere... unless someone was very busy deleting evidences.]

Last edited by kgw on Mon Oct 31, 2016 5:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 1:02 pm Reply with quote
@ kgw - but keep in mind that kind of evidence is only useful if the police have something to match it to. Fingerprint evidence won't help you identify a suspect if they've never been fingerprinted before, for example.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6