• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Do Anime Productions Have To Pay To Use Classical Music?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
K.o.R

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 3:58 pm Reply with quote
How about basically the entire soundtrack of Princess Tutu?
varmintx

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 3:59 pm Reply with quote
stevek504 wrote:
Beethoven's Ode to Joy in Gunslinger Girl episode 13 - calming and invigorating at the same time. Genius.

Came in to post about the same thing. For a show that was so entrenched in rather horrible circumstances to end on even a slightly hopeful note, and it not come off as cheap, over-sentimentality, is truly amazing, and them singing that song is a big reason why it actually works.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 4:20 pm Reply with quote
Ode to Joy in Read or Die is my favorite, though that song comes up fairly often. At least from the times I've seen it used, it tends to be paired with scenes that are less than joyful.
JDude042

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 4:35 pm Reply with quote
I'm surprised no one has mentioned the climax of Luffy Vs Crocodile from One Piece, using "Allegro con fuoco" (Symphony No. 9) (From the New World) by dvorak, specifically the 4th movement of the song.
Polycell

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 5:52 pm Reply with quote
Brett-Butler wrote:
The use of Schubert's "Ave Maria" in the chicken suicide scene in Humanity Has Declined would take a lot of beating in my favourite uses of classical music in anime.
I completely forgot about that. That's definitely a hard one to top.
wohdin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 5:54 pm Reply with quote
This issue is simple when you understand the distinction between composition and recording. All (non-modern) classical COMPOSITIONS are public domain; any RECORDED PERFORMANCES of those compositions are copyrighted to the publishing entity.

To compare a modern composition, which can be copyrighted by either its actual composer or another entity that holds the rights to that composition, it is not legal to reproduce that composition (i.e., a direct 1:1 cover) and sell it for profit without permission. You also are not allowed to take elements of that composition and "remix" it into a "new composition". Though this typically just boils down to licensing/rights holder issues, especially in certain genres of music which distinctly handle the "music track" and the "vocal track" separately where applicable (i.e. hip-hop, and a lot of j/k-pop, esp boy/girl groups).

For classical music, it's much simpler: the compositions themselves are PD, therefore anyone is free to not only perform and record those compositions on their own, but also to remix elements of the composition into a new composition. These new compositions are also free to be copyrighted and sold for profit - which is actually a somewhat added layer of complexity when you get into this territory, because despite it using elements of things from PD, the new composition is itself subject to copyright and cannot be reproduced without authorization.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 5:57 pm Reply with quote
I think just about everything I would have said has been sniped, but short answer? Every single episode of Legend of the Galactic Heroes. Very Happy

K.o.R wrote:
How about basically the entire soundtrack of Princess Tutu?

Oh, most definitely. The one moment that stick in my mind is the brilliant use of the main theme from "Swan Lake" at the mid-series climax.

JDude042 wrote:
I'm surprised no one has mentioned the climax of Luffy Vs Crocodile from One Piece, using "Allegro con fuoco" (Symphony No. 9) (From the New World) by dvorak, specifically the 4th movement of the song.

Absolutely. That's easily one of the highest points of the entire anime. I've heard the 2nd movement from the same symphony, "Largo," used in a number of other series, most memorably (and appropriately) in From the New World.
bhl88

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 6:30 pm Reply with quote
Kill La Kill Nonon sure does love her classical music.
AholePony

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 11:12 pm Reply with quote
This question has me recalling all the hundreds of times I've heard some variation on Holst's Mars. It's a go to piece in just about any space based series, sometimes the actual piece but often times some form of homage to it, probably to fit the mood of the specific scene.
revolutionotaku

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:42 am Reply with quote
I did enjoy listening to Waltz of the Flowers from The Nutcracker at the end of the "Toys in the Attic" episode of Cowboy Bebop.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:56 am Reply with quote
JDude042 wrote:

That's because any TRUE anime fan, who's been in it for longer than One Piece, hears Dvorak's New World: 4th Movement and thinks of the AnimeCon '91 video. Cool
I'd post it here, but it would the second time in as many threads.

Seriously, "Favorite anime classical", and no mention of Gershwin's "Rhapsody in Blue, for orchestra, pianica and tanuki" from Nodame Cantabile?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IzuIKXPLEcE

And obligatory mention of Dragon Half's Mink sticking Beethoven's 7th in our 90's heads:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xoj_h2SBtzw
Compelled to Reply

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:50 am Reply with quote
What about the rearrangement of La Gazza Ladra (The Thieving Magpie) by Gioachino Rossinii, from the toothbrush scene in Nisemongatari?
Sakagami Tomoyo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 4:29 am Reply with quote
Aside from... well, all of the classical music that gets used throughout Evangelion, TV series and movies (Evangelion made excellent use of very good music throughout, both existing classical music and its own new music.):

Unsurprisingly, Hibike! Euphonium comes to mind, but for me the use of Polovtsian Dances in the second season in particular stands out.

The use of Erik Satie's Gymnopédie, especially No. 1, in The Disappearance of Suzumiya Haruhi. Also its use in the trailer.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 4:38 am Reply with quote
Quote:
What's your favorite usage of a classical tune in anime?

Legend of the Galactic Heroes. All of it.

Zin5ki wrote:
Chopin's Étude Op.10 No.3 was employed to fine effect in the final scene of Baby Blue from Genius Party, albeit in accord with the piece's orthodox use. (Call me a sentimentalist if you will, but that little short remains my favourite Shinichiro Watanabe anime.)

That piece has been used a lot in anime. There were two different versions in the soundtrack of the original FMA TV series. There was a version in the soundtrack for the third Tenchi Muyo movie (the soundtrack had a few Chopin's reworkings).

It's become one of my favorite pieces of music.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:39 am Reply with quote
ArnisEnthusiast wrote:
The Mouse is above public domain laws

You mean, they aren't above lobbying/bribing Congress (as do other media companies and literary estates) for stronger copyright laws. Congress and SCOTUS will say that our Amer. copyright laws were extended to comply with foreign copyright treaties. I say that is bogus and they get extended so these media companies/estates can further milk their precious IP.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4