• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hayate the Combat Butler.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mind over matter

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 7:36 am Reply with quote
these first few episodes were just a bit too corny for me...especially the constant reference to the fact that is an anime (things like "What, you can't end now, it's still the first half of the episode") and that talking tiger? I guess this anime is just a bit out of my comfort range....but, knowing me, I'll probably go back to it
v1cious

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 5:06 pm Reply with quote
frentymon wrote:
Anyone catch the spoiler[Black Lagoon reference] in Episode 1? I swear I never saw that in the manga...

2 actually. i nearly fell out of my chair when i saw this:

[img]http://img252.imageshack.us/img252/9422/hayatenogotoku02large25tr0.th.jpg

it seems like all the humor in this show is based around breaking the fourth wall. it's pretty funny.

Last edited by v1cious on Wed Apr 25, 2007 5:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jedi General

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 5:18 pm Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
frentymon wrote:
Anyone catch the spoiler[Black Lagoon reference] in Episode 1? I swear I never saw that in the manga...

2 actually. i nearly fell out of my chair when i saw this:

{img}

it seems like all the humor in this show is based around breaking the fourth wall. it's pretty funny.

That was it? I've seen 3 episodes and I don't remember ever seeing that. I'm pretty sure I would have noticed something that brutally obvious. Then again I've been watching this show late at night so ....
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 7:46 pm Reply with quote
Raven Shinobi wrote:
Looking at the seiyuu list, I'm quite surprised they gave Hayate a feminine voice, I always imagine him having Hino Satoshi's voice when I was reading the manga.

I would disagree with that, in that Shiraishi Ryouko's voice is already sort of associated with characters who are physically powerful, yet oblivious of or negligent towards that power. Kaede in Negima, and Rin in Nagasarete Airantou, are only two recent examples. So in that sense, she fits well with Hayate's grotesque strength.

Nor is this the first time she plays a male rôle -- she really shone as Shiratori Ryuushi, in Mahoraba (one of my all-time favourite anime).

In any case, I really like her voice. It's a pleasure to listen to.

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
LuckySleven

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 3:06 am Reply with quote
Well I'll brush off the dust on this thread Confused

Over the few days I have caught up with watching the series and I must say I like it. It's pretty different from the conventional comical romance type anime. I really like the story of this one, I especially like the selection of the voice cast. I shed a few tears here and there through some parts. Embarassed It really moves me when parents do such horrible things to their children. Especially how Hayate's parents treated him. It made me want to kidnap them then sell them to really nice people.

A lot of stuff has happened from episode 1-14 but I'll just talk about 14.
spoiler[So it concludes the result of Hayate's failure to pass the entrance exam. For shame, failed by 1 point. It was pretty fun to see Yukiji trying to tell Hayate the truth. It was like watching a child trying to tell her father "Daddy, I broke-ke-ded the vase. Not Mr.Usagi" and seeing how each and every time she fails to tell him it just makes it even harder on her to tell him. Especially after he gave his speech on how his dream was accomplished to go back to school. It gave me a some-what nostalgic feeling, I really did had too much fun during my high school days. Very Happy Anyways the ending was questionable but not so surprising.]
Samurai-with-glasses

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 3:17 am Reply with quote
LuckySleven: spoiler[didn't he pass thanks to Maria's recommendation? (Man, she's quick)]

This anime really grows on me. At first I wasn't impressed with, if still entertained by, the anime, compare to the manga -- some jokes lost their barbs in the transition -- but for some reason I feel that it's getting better or at least not worse.

I'm really not sure how they'd handle the upcoming cheesy parts though. Some school characters they're going to introduce are totally over the top.
stormcrow22

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 10:32 am Reply with quote
abunai wrote:
Raven Shinobi wrote:
Looking at the seiyuu list, I'm quite surprised they gave Hayate a feminine voice, I always imagine him having Hino Satoshi's voice when I was reading the manga.

I would disagree with that, in that Shiraishi Ryouko's voice is already sort of associated with characters who are physically powerful, yet oblivious of or negligent towards that power. Kaede in Negima, and Rin in Nagasarete Airantou, are only two recent examples. So in that sense, she fits well with Hayate's grotesque strength.

Nor is this the first time she plays a male rôle -- she really shone as Shiratori Ryuushi, in Mahoraba (one of my all-time favourite anime).

In any case, I really like her voice. It's a pleasure to listen to.

- abunai

Yeah, that and she's also uber-hot. Very Happy
frentymon
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 12:16 am Reply with quote
15 was great.

spoiler[Nagi finally admit to being a hikikomori! And the guy who had his master thrown petals for him reminds me of Tamaki, except he's not as funny when he's acting silly and not as flashy when he's acting cool.]
LuckySleven

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 12:50 am Reply with quote
Episode 15 was good, seeing Hayate all happy like that just puts a smile on my face. I have a feeling their going to incorporate an Ouran type skit sometime later, let's all hope for that Very Happy I just can't wait for episode 15 where Hayakte will **** that other butler's *** Twisted Evil
Master_M2K

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 6:11 pm Reply with quote
Yeah episode 15 was the best episode in a while because the last few weren't as good. It was great to see the return of the copyright censorship Very Happy I haven't heard so many ***** in 10 seconds of dialogue.
stormcrow22

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 10:04 am Reply with quote
LuckySleven wrote:
Episode 15 was good, seeing Hayate all happy like that just puts a smile on my face. I have a feeling their going to incorporate an Ouran type skit sometime later, let's all hope for that Very Happy I just can't wait for episode 15 where Hayakte will **** that other butler's *** Twisted Evil

that new butler reminds me of ichimaru gin from bleach.
Master_M2K

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 6:35 am Reply with quote
Well I've just seen episode 16 and if you only count the 1st 3/4 of it then it's the best episode so far Very Happy. It had the most anime/manga related censorship and the best one had to be when the Nonohara was beating up his master and Nagi goes:

Nagi: "Down, diagonal left down, left + kick"
Hinagiku: "It's not a Hurri**** kick"

To bad the episode had a bad ending Razz but I wonder who were those anime character's reflections on the train?
LuckySleven

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 9:25 am Reply with quote
stormcrow22 wrote:
LuckySleven wrote:

that new butler reminds me of ichimaru gin from bleach.

Yeah I guess does he some-what resembles Gin, I was hoping that in episode 16 that they would make a parody of Bleach with a fight between Hayate as Ichigo and Nonohara as Gin.

Master_M2K wrote:
Well I've just seen episode 16 and if you only count the 1st 3/4 of it then it's the best episode so far Very Happy. It had the most anime/manga related censorship and the best one had to be when the Nonohara was beating up his master and Nagi goes:

Nagi: "Down, diagonal left down, left + kick"
Hinagiku: "It's not a Hurri**** kick"

To bad the episode had a bad ending Razz but I wonder who were those anime character's reflections on the train?

I wouldn't say that it was the best episode. The most references I seen was probably in episode 5. My favorite episode would probably be episode 4 with the reference towards Metal Gear. Hayate was using that box in such a unsettling way, but really in the Metal Hear Solid 3: Snake Eater game the box is not useful as it seems as they showed in Hayate. All I really liked about the box was that if you talked to Sigint while inside one, it has Snake talking about how it was his destiny to be inside the box. Anyways the episode really made me sad seeing as how it ended with garbage. I'm hoping that the next episode will be much better and won't have such an ending as 16 had.
frentymon
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 5:13 pm Reply with quote
Episode 18: Hahaha, spoiler[Geass reference. I am not Lancelot!]
Samurai-with-glasses

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 9:44 pm Reply with quote
The producers are having fun with Hinagiku fanservice, I see. I'm wondering if she's dominating all the popularity polls or something...

I must admit though, the series seems to be meandering lately when it gets off the manga plot, though next episode's preview is promising a comeback. Big comeback: Hayate + Maria-san!!! =) [Did the path to Maria-san ending just opened again!?]

Oh, and just to make this post big: a mini-rant. Simply put, you people ought to post less about ANN this Anime Expo that and post about the frickin' anime more!! Jeez, it's been how long since this thread has fallen off the first page? And it's an ongoing series!!!

[/rant end, note the ubiquitous usage of exclamation marks. This is serious business!!! !!! !]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5