• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Hosts Anime Licensing Survey

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
burnpsy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 12:59 am Reply with quote
I also went and wrote out my completely honest opinion and suggestions in full in the text boxes. I don't think they'll take the ones who don't at least write SOMETHING very seriously.
GeminiDS85

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 1:03 am Reply with quote
I’m a little confused. Didn’t Funi already license Oretachi? Crunchyroll did the simulcast, so by the time Funi announced they had acquired this title it was already towards the end of its run. Currently the show is available for free on both Crunchyroll and Hulu via Funimation, so why is it on this list? Basically, I am wondering why Funimation would license a show at the end of its run when you could already watch it for free on Crunchyroll if they did not plan to release it.
burnpsy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 1:05 am Reply with quote
GeminiDS85 wrote:
I’m a little confused. Didn’t Funi already license Oretachi? Crunchyroll did the simulcast, so by the time Funi announced they had acquired this title it was already towards the end of its run. Currently the show is available for free on both Crunchyroll and Hulu via Funimation, so why is it on this list? Basically, I am wondering why Funimation would license a show at the end of its run when you could already watch it for free on Crunchyroll if they did not plan to release it.

Likewise, Baka and Test season 2 is up on their YouTube channel, subbed. C3 was also streamed on their site. I think they mixed these in due to bad streaming numbers or something else holding them back a little on the prospect of a release.
Ingraman

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 1:15 am Reply with quote
Scormio wrote:
People said they wanted Princess Jellyfish, and they licensed it. Maybe they have enough pre-order data in for Princess Jellyfish (its been up for a couple months now) and they think it's a good strategy just straight out asking what people want.

I might order Princess Jellyfish at some point. I'm not impressed by how Funi packed it in two Blu-ray cases for the LE version when they only needed one for the job (they pack the same number of discs into just one case with that other series covered in the same Funi packaging-video on Youtube). Maybe the RE release will take care of that, or maybe I'll have to wait for some future release. The series isn't a "must own" for me since I watched the streams and I think that can still do so (and I probably would have ignored Princess Jellyfish entirely if I hadn't watched it), so I'm willing to wait.

Wakazhi wrote:
I wish Dennou Coil would get licensed by somebody...
I'd be happy if NISA did since they've been getting some really good shows that are often low-key titles.

I'd be happiest if either NISA or Nozomi picked up Dennou Coil, but I'm almost to the point where I could even deal with Funi getting it. Or if I could find scripts to go with the Blu-ray set that I bought from Amazon.
peachsncreamsoda

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 1:21 am Reply with quote
So many to choose from Anime hyper ...

But c'mon now! I can not be the only one here hoping for Future Diary Anime cry .
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 1:22 am Reply with quote
Some of these I thought were already licensed... like Oretsuba.

animenewsnetwork.com/news/2011-06-11/funimation-adds-we-without-wings-under-the-innocent-sky

So I wonder why its on there.
Kohii

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 1:27 am Reply with quote
Ben-To, Anohana (top choice, personally), and Mawaru Penguindrum.

Let's hope they put our input to good use

Last edited by Kohii on Wed Jan 25, 2012 1:30 am; edited 1 time in total
opn

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 1:29 am Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
Some of these I thought were already licensed... like Oretsuba.

animenewsnetwork.com/news/2011-06-11/funimation-adds-we-without-wings-under-the-innocent-sky

So I wonder why its on there.

it might be to gauge the popularity for these and see how fast they should release them or if they will be pushed to the back in favor of other titles. anyway voted for future diary,anohana,mawaru penguindrum,ben - to,seitokai no ichizon,chihayafuru,c3,gosick and nichijou. my must buys were chihayafuru,mawaru penguindrum,anohana and future diary.
staab99

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 1:38 am Reply with quote
I would love to see Funi released Tatami Galaxy, I loved the show but at times was ridiculously fast to follow.
kyu09

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 1:47 am Reply with quote
and still no sign of Aquarion EVOL.
I've seen C3 and I loved it..
I'd definitely buy a bd/dvd release
Dimlos

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 1:49 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
I'm obligated to buy what I watch.
That must get expensive...
R315r4z0r

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 1:59 am Reply with quote
Why wasn't Haganai on the list? Of their recent simulcasts, that show was definitely among my favorites.
GinkoArt

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 2:02 am Reply with quote
O.O Nichijou & Gosick!!! (as soon as I saw those 2, instant checks)

Very interesting selection on the survey, i'm actually surprised to see some Shonen-ai properties mentioned as Funi have never tampered with Shojo series as much as Shonen.

staab99 wrote:
I would love to see Funi released Tatami Galaxy, I loved the show but at times was ridiculously fast to follow.

It's one of the few older simulcasts that they still has some vague interest in... Very unfortunate that Rainbow is nowhere to be seen, I'd assume they've long given up on that.
Clyde_Cash

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 2:11 am Reply with quote
Chihayafuru: Sounds a bit more like a Viz license to me.
C³: Could go either way between FUNi and Sentai.
Last Exile: FUNi's DEFINITELY getting this! It's Gonzo, and it fits right in with the first season.
Student Council's Discretion: Possible.
R-15: Had some pretty decent sex jokes in it, but it's more Media Blasters' or Sentai's speed.
Baka & Test 2: If they don't get it, Sentai will.
Dantalian: FUNi wants this, but if Manga Entertainment were to come out of nowhere...
Fortune Arterial: More of a Sentai grab.
We, Without Wings: Didn't FUNi already get this show?
Gosick: If FUNi gets this, THEY CAN HAVE MY CHILDREN!
TD912

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 2:15 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Having Goshuusou-sama Ninimoya-kun on that list tells me they want ecchi titles, more of them

There's quite a variety of shows there. I'm not sure where everybody is getting this idea that Funimation = Fanservice. They license lots of other less-fanservice-y shows. It seems to have started ever since they licensed B Gata H Kei last year...

Anyway, some of my picks were Penguindrum, and C^3. Although Funimation may have issues with the director while translating and subtitling Penguindrum, if stories of what happened to RightStuf and Revolutionary Girl Utena are to be believed...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 2 of 9