• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Manga series that you dropped?

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jgreen

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 3:33 pm Reply with quote
Shadwhawk wrote:
Effectively Dropped:

Maison Ikkoku. Pre-Ranma and apparently has actual development and a conclusion, but I just haven't been interested in buying more (I own the first volume, in its unflipped format).

You REALLY should give this another shot. It's a little slow to start (which is why the original English version actually skipped much of the first GN!), but once it gets going, it's the most addictive romance manga you'll find. Maison Ikkoku is literally my favorite comic book ever published, period, but it takes more than just the first volume to really get cookin'. Give it another chance!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tamaria

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 8:58 am Reply with quote
Okay, this would be an extremely long list if I listed all of them, so I'll just mention a few that will probably spark some reactions.

Fruits Basket
I've read several chapters in Daisuki, but it couldn't capture my interest. Maybe because I was reading it at a 1-2 chapters a month pace, maybe because the characters and artwork bored me. A year or so later I bought the first volume in English, but I couldn't get through more than a few chapters and gave book to a friend. A few months later, I rebought it, because it was only €2 and everybody seems to like it, so it must have its merits, right? I couldn't find them, sold it and made a €2 profit. Now I'm thinking about buying the Dutch version when it's released. Everyone likes this series, I must be overlooking something, right...?

Ranma 1/2
Stopped at 18, it's way too long and I doubt it has a proper ending.

Inu Yasha
Stopped at 18, it's way too long and I doubt it will have a proper ending.
Crisco Disco

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 10:47 am Reply with quote
Naruto, Shaman King, Yu-Yu Hakusho, Case Closed, Hikaru No Go.

They take forever and never get anywhere. I've learned that Shonen Jump basically sucks.
CloverKuroba

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 10:50 am Reply with quote
^Case Closed is Shonen Sunday actually. I tend to prefer Shonen Sunday titles to Shonen Jump titles, because even if they're long, they tend to entertain me more.
toad sage 5

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 4:19 pm Reply with quote
i would have to say that yugioh was one of the first i dropped. after i saw the show, i got pissed and dropped the series. yuyuhakasho i dropped in the beginning then after a while, i started to get intrest...i like cheese!
sgt.frog

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 7:55 pm Reply with quote
Model it was ok. It was just not my tast. i got to vol. 2ish. i also buy vol. and only skim though them. If the people are pretty and i dont thing i'm going to like the storry i still get it for the art.[/code]
riccardo

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 9:47 pm Reply with quote
Stopped reading Orphen after one volume.

I expected it to at least resemble the anime I loved so much, but it was totally different. I think I must have got an alternate re-telling or sequal or something, but thats all I could find.
Keito.chan

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 2:39 pm Reply with quote
Stopped reading Kekkaishi after two volumes. I couldn't get into the story and the characters didn't interest me. I normally love demon hunting and it was recommended by a friend who usually makes good suggestions, but this one not so much. I eventually tried watching the anime to give it another chance and I don't think I even finished the first episode.

Tried Loveless and couldn't follow the story line at all, so that got dropped fairly early.

Wish I had dropped Inuyasha a long time ago, but I just can't let go. I keep feeling like it can't go on much longer and then we have another arc. Grrrr!
Thewalkindude368

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 10:49 am Reply with quote
Lets see here:

Pastel:I can see boobs for free online

GTO:I actually have no idea why. I've just never bought the second volume.

Those who Hunt Elves:ADV has no intention of releasing the rest of it, so I only have 2 volumes

Your and My Secret:See above. I actually have 2 and 3 in Japanese.

Oh My Goddess: See GTO

Crayon Shin-Chan: A little repetative, also Comics One went under, so it's done I believe. I have 2 Volumes

Naruto: What I like to call DBZ syndrome, plus the fans turned me off.

Inu-Yasha: Strange, cause I like Takahasi's work, but action isn't really my thing.

That's all I can think of for now. My manga policy is nothing ventured, nothing gained, so that's why I've abandoned so much.
.Qwerty

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 12:49 pm Reply with quote
Naruto.. Decided that it's more interesting to watch in series tho it shows the same..
kirbyboy102

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 8:24 pm Reply with quote
Terrestrial_Cel wrote:
I dropped The Devil Within. After the first volume I feel like I wasted money. It had an promising premise that it absolutely failed at. Instead of being shojo with some depth, it was cheap perverted thrills for girls Sad Reading this felt exactly the same as watching a guy's silly harem show.

I'm thinking of dropping Gentleman's Alliance Cross. It's not bad. But Arina Tanemura tends to do a lot of rehashing her own characters. I feel like I already met Maron, I'm seeing her again in Haine, and now I need to feel sorry for her again? Not only that, but the huge cast seems a little too busy to keep dimention in all those characters. I'm not too thrilled about her using a homosexual character as comic relief; as Arina says she's not into it "that kind of manga" and she'll portray him lightly, then eluded to it being something she doesn't like =/ Yeah, it's time to move on to something else... It might be my fault for reading her columns. Arina is known for stating her opinions openly in her manga and turning a lot of readers away. I commend her, and try to read the comic without thinking about the author, but when she includes it in the pages it's hard to avoid heheh.

The Devil Within is pretty confusing, but it is only two volumes, and it is much better in volume 2. I'm a guy and liked it, so I'm not sure that it is just 'cheap perverted thrills for girls'... -__-;

the gentlemens' alliance- I think you should give it a chance. It gets less sporatic in later chapters.
ame_de_verseau

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 11:24 pm Reply with quote
Ultra Cute= Ultra horrible. At first i was drawn to it because the artwork made me think of Sailor Moon. which i love. But omg. i just couldn't care about any of the characters..i think i bought 5 volumes and then dumped them on one of my friends by saying "oh you'll really like this, you can borrow it!!" Luckily she has a habit of not returning stuff. either way i won't take it back.

From Far Away: I was so unhappy with my 5 volume purchase that i almost cried at the thought that i had just wasted 50$...i had taken the stickers off and i was worried that that meant i couldn't take them back. I was so freakin happy when i called up and they're like "30 day return policy!" I actually only read 4 of the 5 volumes...i just thought i was stupid. I loved the cover artwork and i wanted ,wanted to like it...but again, i couldn't care about any of the characters.

OH and Ranma1/2 but not because it was really bad...i might even slowly start to collect it but it just repeated and repeated this "oh someone is inlove with Ranma now...lets um do some crazy martial arts thingy." i mean tea ceremony karate? what the hell? Funny...but nothing that made me say..."i must have more!!"

and i haven't given up on Inuyasha yet...i have 18 volumes...and i must find out how it ends...i'm just waiting for a rainy day when there's absolutely nothing else i want to buy....or asking for them as presents so i don't have to even spend my money on them.
McFerret

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 9:33 am Reply with quote
Removed by author

Last edited by McFerret on Tue Mar 23, 2010 4:01 am; edited 1 time in total
Sarasa*Tatara

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 7:18 pm Reply with quote
Vampire Knight.  I'm finally done with this series.  Hino's art has started to bug me, I don't like any of the characters, and the story lost me after volume one. I loved volume one, and then volume two came along and I started to really dislike it. I've been reading it in Shojo Beat, but I don't think I'll even bother to continue doing that.
Cyborg 009

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 8:40 pm Reply with quote
Chibi Vampire: It was funny for the first three volumes, with enough drama to keep a gripping tale, but volume 4 failed to interest me. The Harumi arc was really the most entertaining dramatic part of the series, and the humor was drying up.

Naruto: I just never liked Naruto. The reason I actually got the first volume was because it came free with another manga volume. The censorship was lessenend, but still Naruto.

Inuyasha: I got the first four volumes from the library at the same time, and returned them the next day. The first volume was strong, but it seems that after the first volume, Takahashi realized the fanbase.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 12 of 14