• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Fall 2007 Anime Season Guide

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
UtenaAnthy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 6:36 pm Reply with quote
Cover more shows please.

Really good preview, though I already knew about them all from the latest in Japan part of the encyclopedia.
babbo

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 6:46 pm Reply with quote
sabriyahm wrote:
Zac wrote:
So

1. Cover more shows -
2. Have more opinions -

#1 Please. Cover more shows. I don't base my watching decisions on the opinions you offer. I think it's ANN's job to point out the good and bad points. I then consider what was said and come to my own decision. Multiple opinions won't really help me and I don't think it will quite the whining. As long as you are doing some type of assesment people will complain.

Quote:
#1 is just redundant because the blogging community already does a nice job providing an overview of all that is coming out in a given season.

ANN is my go to site. I don't actually visit any other anime sites or blogs regularly. I do not think you should assume ANN readers are all constantly visiting every site looking for other info. To be honest some of us just aren't that hardcore.

Isn't that a moot point when you're looking for first opinions though o,o? There are dozens of bloggers that do the same exact thing that you're talking about. Considering the nature of these reviews (being based off of the first episode) it's unlikely that their opinions are going to be any less right than ANN. We're talking about first impressions here so picking out a well known blog can more than suffice to find a quick opinion on the season line up.

sabriyahm wrote:
nooneofconsequence wrote:
teferi wrote:

Some of us ignore the blogging community and use ANN as a sort of all in one site. It's probably not ideal, but it works.

Visit a good anime blog indexer site like www.animenano.com. It will only take you a couple minutes, less if you know how to skim through text well, to browse through the day's postings. After a few days you will pretty much find out which blogs you like and what to look out for, and the process becomes quicker. ANN is a useful site, but you are doing yourself a disservice as a fan by solely relying on it.

I do not read blogs because I lack the time and they are often unreliable with misinformation. I am an old media girl. I like my news to come from paid professionals and I like my forums moderated. Most blogs have neither. And I think this website is pretty complete. All that I am missing as a fan from blogs are their many and varied opinions on various shows. None of which I need to know to enjoy an anime (or manga). For the record I have probably seen more complete series then most people on these boards and I do not think my failure to read blogs about what I have watched has some how short changed my anime fandom experience in anyway.

If you're that good then what's it matter? Just google up a list of the season line up and you're golden ;D
sykosteve

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 10:54 pm Reply with quote
So here's my question. In Myself, Yourself...Why does the female twin, Shuri where a different uniform than everyone else in the class?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
the_ferret

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 10:59 pm Reply with quote
I just wanted to compliment the fact that you guys actually do review and give impressions of the shows. It strikes me as a little odd that some people in the thread see that as a negative thing. You can look up show summaries pretty much anywhere people.

Frankly, I don't understand the appeal of some high-profile anime blogs at all, where the entries are basically a lengthy, scene-for-scene transcription of what happens in the episode. I don't want to get too tangential, but most of these do have season previews, so it is somewhat relative to compare to ANN's. How can that honestly be enjoyable to read? Why would you read it before or after watching for yourself? Is it just the pretty screencaps or what? Really, I'd like it explained to me. It seems difficult to really gather any useful information about what's airing from these blogs, as the little analysis there is tacked-on and doesn't usually articulate much beyond "this was funny/sad/"random"".

Sorry for the little pseudo-rant. But this attitude does seem indicative of an annoyingly indescriminate fanbase. I don't mind waiting a little longer for a season preview with actual substance. And of course I was generalizing, I'm sure there are great, critical blogs out there.

I'm watching CLANNAD, Gundam 00, and Blue Drop currently. Really enjoying the first, with its amusing moe predictability and everything. The latter especially feels like a grower so far.
nooneofconsequence

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 12:06 am Reply with quote
sabriyahm wrote:

I do not read blogs because I lack the time and they are often unreliable with misinformation. I am an old media girl. I like my news to come from paid professionals and I like my forums moderated. Most blogs have neither. And I think this website is pretty complete. All that I am missing as a fan from blogs are their many and varied opinions on various shows. None of which I need to know to enjoy an anime (or manga). For the record I have probably seen more complete series then most people on these boards and I do not think my failure to read blogs about what I have watched has some how short changed my anime fandom experience in anyway.

...And having multiple sources of information isn't a bad thing either. The blogging community isn't the seedy underworld of anime fandom as you and others might think it is. Yes, they actually cite and link to their sources like the paid professionals do. Picking out a few blogs for recreational reading really isn't either a timely or laborious chore. Blogs offer fresh perspectives and cover things a mainstream site doesn't get around to.

Having moderated forums is a meaningless criteria to have. One, I've seen plenty of moderated forums with mods who are either abusive or incompetent. A moderator is anyone the administrator feels comfortable with. Two, Blogs are structured differently from the traditional website and forum setup.

To answer your reply to my earlier post, no, I don't seek out every last bit of information. Going through multiple sources to get information is a habit I picked up through my academic and professional experiences.
jetz

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 5:10 am Reply with quote
sykosteve wrote:
So here's my question. In Myself, Yourself...Why does the female twin, Shuri where a different uniform than everyone else in the class?

I was wondering about too.. Maybe she just wants to be different? Laughing

I think this is the first time I watched so much anime. Good thing I don't have school for the rest of the year - I can watch most of them regularly (watching SnSII, M;Y, Gundam 00, KnJ, Genshiken 2, Clannad, Mokke, Minami-ke, ef, Shugo Chara!, KimiKiss and Sketchbook). My favorite for this season has to be Minami-ke.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DemonEyesLeo

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 12:09 pm Reply with quote
Why? Why did I subject myself to that...thing called Kodomo no Jikan? I think I'm scarred for life. Curse my curiosity.
sabriyahm

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 3:59 pm Reply with quote
babbo wrote:
sabriyahm wrote:
Zac wrote:
So

1. Cover more shows -
2. Have more opinions -

#1 Please. Cover more shows. I don't base my watching decisions on the opinions you offer. I think it's ANN's job to point out the good and bad points. I then consider what was said and come to my own decision. Multiple opinions won't really help me and I don't think it will quite the whining. As long as you are doing some type of assesment people will complain.

Quote:
#1 is just redundant because the blogging community already does a nice job providing an overview of all that is coming out in a given season.

ANN is my go to site. I don't actually visit any other anime sites or blogs regularly. I do not think you should assume ANN readers are all constantly visiting every site looking for other info. To be honest some of us just aren't that hardcore.

Isn't that a moot point when you're looking for first opinions though o,o? There are dozens of bloggers that do the same exact thing that you're talking about. Considering the nature of these reviews (being based off of the first episode) it's unlikely that their opinions are going to be any less right than ANN. We're talking about first impressions here so picking out a well known blog can more than suffice to find a quick opinion on the season line up.

sabriyahm wrote:

If you're that good then what's it matter? Just google up a list of the season line up and you're golden ;D

I am confused. First you said read a blog and then when I said I don't read blogs you say I should just get a season list. I take it the last sentence was meant sarcastically or maybe I am missing something.

Quote:
The blogging community isn't the seedy underworld of anime fandom as you and others might think it is. Picking out a few blogs for recreational reading really isn't either a timely or laborious chore. Blogs offer fresh perspectives and cover things a mainstream site doesn't get around to. Having moderated forums is a meaningless criteria to have.

Perhaps you misunderstood me. I am not knocking blog reading. I never said it was seedy or even bad. I don't read most blogsfor lack of time first and foremost. I said it was not neccessary to enjoy anime. You may have missed the earlier discussion. I was just pointing out the dangers of assuming most ANN readers are also avid blog readers. That may or may not be the case. I am certainly not and I am pretty sure there are others like me. And moderated forums may mean nothing to you but it is a requirement of any website I visit and good moderators at that. Which is why I don't visit many other
babbo

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 4:23 pm Reply with quote
sabriyahm wrote:
babbo wrote:
sabriyahm wrote:
Zac wrote:
So

1. Cover more shows -
2. Have more opinions -

Quote:

sabriyahm wrote:

I am confused. First you said read a blog and then when I said I don't read blogs you say I should just get a season list. I take it the last sentence was meant sarcastically or maybe I am missing something.

Actually I was merely addressing the fact that there's no real difference between the two in this particular case.

The point is that your argument against using blogs takes away any need to use the ANN season guide as well.
shenlongmizuno

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 7:37 pm Reply with quote
If you are only following ANN's incomplete preview guide then you are doing yourself a great disservice and potentially missing out on a few good shows. Your choice man
pparker

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 7:55 pm Reply with quote
shenlongmizuno wrote:
If you are only following ANN's incomplete preview guide then you are doing yourself a great disservice and potentially missing out on a few good shows. Your choice man

Each to their own. I have made my decision about what series to try long before now based on pre-release previews, studio, artists attached, etc. And ANN is the THE source of information for such details.

But no great or even very good series was identified in one episode. Only watching will tell, and I find for a 26-episode series it can easily take over 4 episodes to know.

That said, the more information the better--which does not necessarily include opinions (i.e., reviews), because no reviewer is unbiased, and no reviewer has my exact tastes. This is art, after all.

I just appreciate anyone's effort, including ANN, in taking the time to help me by providing this type of information, biased and otherwise. Being a fan would be almost hopeless without it.
sabriyahm

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 10:46 pm Reply with quote
shenlongmizuno wrote:

I have no doubt that I am missing out on half a dozen good shows every year. This does not bother me. Shows are created far faster then I can watch them. I watch ONE fan sub a season. Maybe. I am in awe of the number of shows people have time to follow. If it's really great it hopefully it wil be licensed. I'll catch it then.
nooneofconsequence

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 11:04 pm Reply with quote
sabriyahm wrote:

Perhaps you misunderstood me. I am not knocking blog reading. I never said it was seedy or even bad.

"I do not read blogs because I lack the time and they are often unreliable with misinformation"

Enough said on that.

Quote:
I don't read most blogsfor lack of time first and foremost. I said it was not neccessary to enjoy anime. You may have missed the earlier discussion.

I contend blog reading doesn't take up too much time and makes for great supplemental reading, but all we will be doing on this is going in circles... so let's drop this aspect.

Quote:
was just pointing out the dangers of assuming most ANN readers are also avid blog readers.

I never made any assumptions about what people read. I originally made the observation blogs make better general season preview guides. I also made the point people, even in recreational pursuits, need more than one source of information.

Quote:
That may or may not be the case. I am certainly not and I am pretty sure there are others like me. And moderated forums may mean nothing to you but it is a requirement of any website I visit and good moderators at that. Which is why I don't visit many other

I'm glad you qualified your previous statement with that you look for forums with good mods. There are a number of good sites that do not have forums because forums take a lot of time and effort to run well, so its your loss.
Sarkozy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 8:38 pm Reply with quote
The good, in my opinion, of the season...

1. Shugo Chara (1-3) - My guilty pleasure of the season. What? I can have a guilty pleasure every year or so. Razz
2. Clannad (1-3) - One of the best of the season, no doubt. Very fun and mysterious like the other 2 Key adaptions.
3. Ghost Hound (1) - Episode 1 has me intrigued to see where this goes. Really, I want more.
4. Shakugan no Shana II (1-3) - It's still got greatness to it! Looking forward to more.
5. ef ~ a tale of memories (1-3) - It sold me on episode 2, the animation quality is amazing beyond belief.
6. Genshiken II(1-2) - I missed Genshiken, glad to see its back! Still got the charm Season 1 had and more.
7. Mobile Suit Gundam 00(1-3) - Animation is gorgeous. Yun Kouga character designs are love. I'd like to see more for a better opinion.
8. Prism Ark(1) - I rather liked it and understood where it went and what it did. I'm sure it won't be as bad as some shows out and about now. I won't hesitate to drop this however.

-----
The bad of the season, in my opinion...

9. Bamboo Blade (1) - Am I the only one who found this to be really dull, unengaging and uninteresting? Dropped.
10. Gosyosho-sama Ninomiya-kun (1) - Ah yes. An interesting plot of fanserviceyness. Lost interest quite quickly in it. Dropped.
11. Kodomo no Jikan (1) - MY EYES AND BRAIN ARE WARPED AND WILL NEVER BE THE SAME! Dropped.
12. Mokke (1) - I found it extremely boring and uninteresting. I'd rather watch paint dry. Dropped.
13. Myself ; Yourself (1) - Ugh. I hate romance series, but I give them shots anyways because I don't want to seem narrow. Dropped.
14. Blue Drop(1) - Just failed to entertain and hook me like everything else. Dropped.
15. Rental Magica (1) - It was alright, kinda boring and generic though. Dropped.
16. Minami-ke (1) - Not very funny or interesting enough to warrant watching episode 2. Dropped
17. Suteki Tantei Labyrinth (1) - Biggest disappointment to me, it just didn't go anywhere. Dropped
18. Night Wizard (1) - Disappointing, but I expected some generic action show. Dropped.
19. Moyashimon (1) - Unimpressive, very unfunny and ... odd, in a bad way. Dropped.
20. Dragonaut - the Resonance (1-2) - Ugly dragons. It's GONZO. What do you expect? Where is Mahiro Maeda when you need him? Dropped.
21. Kaiji (1) - As I expected... It's totally more Zzzz than Nayuki Minase. Dropped.
22. Shion no Ou (1) - Yeah, shogi and a mute girl and all that stuff, not interesting. *yawn* Next! Dropped.
23. Majin Tantei Nogami Neuro (1) - What in the heck. Everything is just ugly and unappealing. Sorry. It's just like the Exorcist. Scary, Disturbing and Stupidity in One package. Dropped.
24. Juushin Enbu -HERO TALES- (1) - Very ugly and just unappealing. Unengaging. I really didn't care for it. Dropped.
25. Kimikiss (1) - I hated the character designs and animation. *shudders* Dropped.
26. Sketchbook ~Full Colors~ (1) - What... happened exactly? Animation is nice, but beyond that... I don't know. Dropped.
babbo

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 10:20 pm Reply with quote
Sarkozy wrote:
The good, in my opinion, of the season...

1. Shugo Chara (1-3) - My guilty pleasure of the season. What? I can have a guilty pleasure every year or so. Razz
2. Clannad (1-3) - One of the best of the season, no doubt. Very fun and mysterious like the other 2 Key adaptions.
3. Ghost Hound (1) - Episode 1 has me intrigued to see where this goes. Really, I want more.
4. Shakugan no Shana II (1-3) - It's still got greatness to it! Looking forward to more.
5. ef ~ a tale of memories (1-3) - It sold me on episode 2, the animation quality is amazing beyond belief.
6. Genshiken II(1-2) - I missed Genshiken, glad to see its back! Still got the charm Season 1 had and more.
7. Mobile Suit Gundam 00(1-3) - Animation is gorgeous. Yun Kouga character designs are love. I'd like to see more for a better opinion.
8. Prism Ark(1) - I rather liked it and understood where it went and what it did. I'm sure it won't be as bad as some shows out and about now. I won't hesitate to drop this however.

-----
The bad of the season, in my opinion...

9. Bamboo Blade (1) - Am I the only one who found this to be really dull, unengaging and uninteresting? Dropped.
10. Gosyosho-sama Ninomiya-kun (1) - Ah yes. An interesting plot of fanserviceyness. Lost interest quite quickly in it. Dropped.
11. Kodomo no Jikan (1) - MY EYES AND BRAIN ARE WARPED AND WILL NEVER BE THE SAME! Dropped.
12. Mokke (1) - I found it extremely boring and uninteresting. I'd rather watch paint dry. Dropped.
13. Myself ; Yourself (1) - Ugh. I hate romance series, but I give them shots anyways because I don't want to seem narrow. Dropped.
14. Blue Drop(1) - Just failed to entertain and hook me like everything else. Dropped.
15. Rental Magica (1) - It was alright, kinda boring and generic though. Dropped.
16. Minami-ke (1) - Not very funny or interesting enough to warrant watching episode 2. Dropped
17. Suteki Tantei Labyrinth (1) - Biggest disappointment to me, it just didn't go anywhere. Dropped
18. Night Wizard (1) - Disappointing, but I expected some generic action show. Dropped.
19. Moyashimon (1) - Unimpressive, very unfunny and ... odd, in a bad way. Dropped.
20. Dragonaut - the Resonance (1-2) - Ugly dragons. It's GONZO. What do you expect? Where is Mahiro Maeda when you need him? Dropped.
21. Kaiji (1) - As I expected... It's totally more Zzzz than Nayuki Minase. Dropped.
22. Shion no Ou (1) - Yeah, shogi and a mute girl and all that stuff, not interesting. *yawn* Next! Dropped.
23. Majin Tantei Nogami Neuro (1) - What in the heck. Everything is just ugly and unappealing. Sorry. It's just like the Exorcist. Scary, Disturbing and Stupidity in One package. Dropped.
24. Juushin Enbu -HERO TALES- (1) - Very ugly and just unappealing. Unengaging. I really didn't care for it. Dropped.
25. Kimikiss (1) - I hated the character designs and animation. *shudders* Dropped.
26. Sketchbook ~Full Colors~ (1) - What... happened exactly? Animation is nice, but beyond that... I don't know. Dropped.

If we were looking for weakly supported biased (I mean geez you used a kanon character as your descriptor for how boring you though Kaiji was) opinions...wait that's not possible. Most of your reasons for dropping a show go into no further detail than saying that they were boring in a handful of different ways. You even put prism arc on your list of keepers @.@

You hate romance series and yet somehow clannad (eroge adaption), EF tale of memories (likewise) and shuugo chara (shojou) are all keepers for you? Strange strange logic there.

And comparing Majin Tantei Nogami Neuro to the exorcist? That's nothing short of ridiculous (not the mention the exorcist is an actually good production).

Last edited by babbo on Fri Oct 26, 2007 10:16 am; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 12 of 14