• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Gintama

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 1:42 am Reply with quote
I think the lesson here is "don't die in Kabukichou." After seeing how Yamazaki's funeral in episode 105 (with a similar premise) went and the restaurant owner's funeral in episode 231 that turned out even more utterly insane and disrespectful of the dead, I'm guessing that's just their normal funeral rites. No wonder they thought tossing a boulder onto the coffin was a legit custom. Very Happy
Metal Fennrir

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 2:00 am Reply with quote
Can't they change December 2 to like, January 20-something? We're gonna miss so many awesome arcs...

And let's face it. We all know once they start the Shogun Assassination Arc, there's no turning back... Gintama's ending, my friends, whether you like it or not
JaggedAuthor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 2:12 am Reply with quote
Metal Fennrir wrote:
Can't they change December 2 to like, January 20-something? We're gonna miss so many awesome arcs...

And let's face it. We all know once they start the Shogun Assassination Arc, there's no turning back... Gintama's ending, my friends, whether you like it or not

I feel your pain. I think they want to commemorate the 300th episode with something epic, but I'd just as soon they kept things in (relatively) chronological order.

Quote:
However, despite all the schmaltz, the episode still ends with the three main characters being murdered by their closest friends.

By my count, this is the third time Gintoki has died. First he and Hasegawa beat each other to death in a haunted apartment, then Blue Reiko sent him plummeting to his doom, and now he's been burnt to a crisp. (Interestingly, this is the only time he wasn't done in by supernatural forces.) Gotta admire that resilience.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 12:20 pm Reply with quote
My raw unedited reaction to the preview

"[expletive] hell that looks absolutely [expletive] amazing"

Two things that i am wondering though, since so they had so much in the previw, does that mean they have been working on this arc for a longtime. And from what the Manga readers are saying, what arcs will this stop them making, that came before it?
JaggedAuthor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 12:49 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
My raw unedited reaction to the preview

"[expletive] hell that looks absolutely [expletive] amazing"

Two things that i am wondering though, since so they had so much in the previw, does that mean they have been working on this arc for a longtime. And from what the Manga readers are saying, what arcs will this stop them making, that came before it?

The problem is, the Shogun Assassination Arc immediately segues into another long serious arc, which immediately segues into the current long serious arc - which is a first for the series, since there's usually a lengthy breather between serious arcs. These three arcs essentially form one enormous story. There's no real wiggle room between these arcs, but the anime staff may find a way to create some. That's about as specific as I can get without veering into spoiler territory.

I found myself wondering the same thing, actually - how much of the next arc do they already have in the can? Were the clips from the preview taken from finished - or partially finished - episodes, or was the trailer animated separately? Since the featured clips run the gamut from "very early in the story" to "fairly late in the story," it's hard to say. Maybe a combination of both?
Admiral Pizzaman

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 2:17 pm Reply with quote
Episode 297

Oh Kagura! You have my condolence and later you too, Gintoki and Shinpachi. In a world of Gintama, no characters can die execpt using a katana.

Those trailer thought. I'm insanely excited for it.
JaggedAuthor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 9:26 am Reply with quote
I've noticed that most (all?) of this season's two-tiered episodes feature an overriding theme - education, PR, Shinpachi being a dork, etc. This must be one of the benefits of working with such an extensive backlog of material. (The single-chapter stories featured in these episodes tend to have been pretty far apart publication-wise.)

Also, this week's screen cap confirms it: Gintoki works as a character designer on DD Hokuto no Ken.
mewpudding101
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 10:11 pm Reply with quote
My Ikumatsu arc that I waited for for 3 years... Anime cry
Excuse me while I cry in a corner.
Admiral Pizzaman

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 9:18 am Reply with quote
May I have your attentions,please

Since next week where a long-waited serious arc is going to start off, I believe this is the right time to say it.

Getting straight to point, some of you are a Manga-Readers (MR) so you already know the content of the arc. But please spare a thought for us non-Manga Readers (Non-MR). Don't spoil us on anything until this arc and the subsequent arcs are concluded. Use properly spoiler-tags and if you're going to have a long chat with full of spoilers, do it in a seperate forum or another website.

I know we 're going to making mistakes since we're all humans so put some effort into it and let us anime-only fans enjoy it to the fullest like you.

Thank you.
Edwin Mullhouse

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 10:35 pm Reply with quote
I really like the humor in this show. Gintama not having a fourth wall is basically a parody of Japan opening up its borders. It's so wide open to outside influence that it's having a hard time keeping those influences in check.
JaggedAuthor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 2:53 am Reply with quote
Totally agree that the first half of episode 299 should have received the full-episode treatment. Conversely, I think some of the single-chapter stories that were adapted into 24-minute episodes this season would have worked better as 12-minute segments.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 1:55 pm Reply with quote
Is anyone else waiting a few weeks so they can watch each episode back to back?
razberry_yum

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 6:04 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:

I thought about doing that, but as soon as I saw some of the images from ep 300, my resolve completely crumbled.
JaggedAuthor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 7:16 pm Reply with quote
razberry_yum wrote:
MarshalBanana wrote:

I thought about doing that, but as soon as I saw some of the images from ep 300, my resolve completely crumbled.

Yeah, if it's Gintama-related, it has to be consumed immediately. You think Gintoki would condone delayed satisfaction?

Seriously, though, if you have the resolve to stockpile episodes, I tip my hat to you. This arc was 24 chapters in the manga, so the anime adaptation will likely encompass at least 10 to 12 episodes. Best of luck!
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 8:54 pm Reply with quote
I'm guessing Takasugi's plan is 1) kill the kind ShigeShige spoiler[check] 2) Install the murderous NobuNobu 3) Have NobuNobu get taken out due to Yorozoya, Shinsengumi, Oniwaban etc. avenging ShigeShige and/or revolt against his general murderous evilness 4) Chaos. By installing NobuNobu and getting rid of him you destroy the shogun and shogunate as it is discredited by NobuNobu's evilness.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 17 of 35