• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Highschool of the Dead (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 12:12 pm Reply with quote
TatsuGero23 wrote:
I think if one must prepare, Dead Rising is the more appropriate game rather then L4D. Since these are the traditional "slow" zombies rather then the "fast" zombies or in L4D case "infected" which are actually a mix of fast zombies and smart/higher instinct zombies. Or Plants Vs Zombies.

Yeah your right, I am just fairly new with a lof of zombie stuff, in the past I get quite easilly scared with them, and I might admit if this is just the tip of the iceberg I might have my nerves a bit stretched. I usually am more scared in Dead riseing in the whole low resources thing, which a staple in zombie media, and I suspect in HOTD aswell, but yeah I might try some Dead Rising aswell, last time I played I unlocked the megablaster. Smile

I am also checking a few zombie infection prepareness sites aswell, I am going to be so ready for this.
TatsuGero23

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 12:58 pm Reply with quote
HA! The megablaster. And sigh, I only own a PS3 and am not in the mood to buy the Wii version. But it's fun when I play it on my cousin's Xbox. Always have to end the game with a random katana run.

egoist: If I had to get into specific (holds nerd cap in hand) I always thought it was something in the saliva or at most saliva/blood mixing or a bacteria in the mouth that cause zombification. Never just blood by itself. Of course I don't think there ever was a cause of someone injecting zombie blood into themselves so I'm not sure of my stance. The 28 days series seemed like the only zombie movies to specifically point out that blood is a factor.

Or maybe its mono. Yeah, mono is a good explain. And according to wiki its a type of herpes virus so that explains all the groping and fanservice too.
ninjapet

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 2:00 pm Reply with quote
I enjoyed it, and I hate anything dealing with zombies.

I even got two of my brothers to watch it with me! The two of them don't watch much anime any more so it was a nice thing to sit together and watch. Thing is there both very big fans of zombies and they enjoyed the anime's take on it so far.

Hopefully it's not going to be like every zombie story out there (I haven't read the manga so I don't know) Right now this is easily ranking in the top 3 shows for the season for me.
~nanashi~

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 2:22 pm Reply with quote
I simply love it! Anime hyper And I only watched the trailer, but just like ninjapet, I myself am not too big of a fan of zombies. Yet Highschool of the Dead has really caught my attention. Anime smile + sweatdrop I really look forward to watching this.
frentymon
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 6:51 pm Reply with quote
My main problem with the show so far is that I really don't care about any of the characters. They all seem to have really cookie cutter personalities so far, and the show also never gave much if any room for character development. Basically, I could care less whether any of the characters survive or not, because I pretty much hardly know who anyone really is, save the main characters, whom aren't very interesting either.

It's basically like watching a soccer game where you don't care about either team and don't care about who wins. It's just not very interesting.
Mr. Gruntsworthy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 8:12 pm Reply with quote
Watched the first episode... I'm hooked (line and sinker) already. It's Left 4 Dead in anime form! Razz

i think they conveyed in the first episode the point that the character's development takes place between the many zombie bashings and spurts of gore. And there's a lot of bashings and gore.

Me likey. Vastly different than anything else i've seen as of late!
animeboy12

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 8:15 pm Reply with quote
frentymon wrote:
My main problem with the show so far is that I really don't care about any of the characters. They all seem to have really cookie cutter personalities so far, and the show also never gave much if any room for character development. Basically, I could care less whether any of the characters survive or not, because I pretty much hardly know who anyone really is, save the main characters, whom aren't very interesting either.

It's basically like watching a soccer game where you don't care about either team and don't care about who wins. It's just not very interesting.

The story has barely even started, and we've only be introduced to two of the main characters with not much in back story. I think I'd wait it out.
LordRedhand

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 9:42 pm Reply with quote
Bored_Ming wrote:
Maybe that would be more interesting. I've always wondered what a zombie world would be like. Would they evolve and form a fair system of government? Would romance boom? Would they make magical girl zombie anime? Oh, well...here's to hoping for improvements in ep 2!

Guess you didn't know that it's kinda been done before...

Marvel Zombies series http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marvel_Zombies

You should probably read them.. they are in the zombies POV...
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 10:42 pm Reply with quote
Pretty good. It felt like a teen slasher flick; kinda hip/edgy but still willing to put boobs, ass and buckets of gore on screen at every available opportunity.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 11:41 pm Reply with quote
Kruszer wrote:
Quote:
The first episode aired on Anime Network. You can watch it legally here after registering
http://www.theanimenetwork.com/Anime/Highschool-of-the-Dead/Watch

No you can't apparently, even though you should be able to. Log in, press play, nothing happens.

EDIT: For some reason you have to go to where it lists the episodes underneath the video and click on Episode 1 Confused

The "splash page" that first pops up when you click on the title is reserved for a trailer. Since this show has no trailer made yet, nothing plays. You have always had to select the individual episodes on underneath the player to select those you want to play.

However, this has been common complaint, so Anime Network has made some tweeks to the player to make everything simpler and easier to find. A splash page with the trailer no longer automatically loads. You are now taken to a page with a description of the show and clear directions on how to access them. Here is a thread at TAN about the updates:
http://www.theanimenetwo rk.com/component/option,com_kunena/Itemid,65/catid,3/func,view/id,54029/
The basic access to each episode is unchanged however.

They are looking for feedback on the changes and for suggestions on what you would like to see, so please post here and give us some feedback. They are constantly looking for ways to make the streaming experience more enjoyable.

Also, the aspect ratio issue has been fixed. The player settings need some minor tweeks, so it should place each episode in the appropriate aspect ratio when you use the pop-up player or full screen mode.

As for choppy videos, or any other playback issues, posting here about them won't do you much good. They have a dedicated thread for issues with the online player.

http://www.theanimenetwork.com/component/option,com_kunena/Itemid,65/catid,5/func,view/id,39967/

Please post any issues you have here. The admins are generally pretty good about getting back to you on issues quickly. Most are easy fixes, or they can help walk you through different things if it seems to be a problem on your end. If they don't know about problems you are having, they are unable to fix them.

Please note, just the FMA:B simulcast on Funi's player, and some of the more popular feeds on CR, there may be more issues when the episodes are first uploaded. There is a dramatic increase in the number of people streaming, so you are much more likely to encounter things like slower streaming or choppy video. They have worked to bring additional servers online to help battle this, but issues will pop up from time to time.

If you still have issues, particularly during non-peak time, please make sure to post in the trouble shooting thread above. The TAN crew will need some system specs to help scope out your problem so please make sure those are included. They want to make sure everyone has an enjoyable streaming experience at their website, but they need your help to report any issues or bugs you may come across.
DKL

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:46 am Reply with quote
Okay, this is very weird: I can't even log in now...

Like, I enter my password and everything, but then nothing happens and the page just refreshes; I'm retarded with technology, so someone needs to point out if I'm doing something wrong.
Skylark

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 1:09 am Reply with quote
frentymon wrote:

Jeez you expect a fair bit of character development for one freaking episode. I actually thought the flashback scenes were pretty cleverly done without taking away from the pace to straight away put us in a little bit of perspective. Give them at least more than 24 mins to flesh out their characters.

I personally didn't think that the girl was really annoying... more that she was just flipping out (and rightly so) over the events. Still this is my first real zombie apocalypse anime and it didn't disappoint. Well, not on all levels anyways.

I'm in agreement with everyone else who said that the fanservice is outrageously overdone - I thought everything about this show right off the bat was pretty freaking awesome, but I dunno it broke up the flow for me with all the panty shots and bouncing boobs... Like they're trying to float our collective boats whilst a girl gets her face ripped off. It doesn't really fit well in the scenario - a zombie apocalypse is an ugly thing, and I can't imagine a less appropriate time to get aroused by panties on a really hot character than when there is a drooling zombie with half his intestines hanging out of him crawling towards her. It just felt out of place and stupid; making me think of what Ikki Tousen: Zombie edition would be like. I would have preferred the show to stick to plot elements, character development, grit, gore, blood, bones, pus, brains and vomit and leave out the perfect white panties, the weird first-person zoom on the pink haired-chick's enormous boobage, and with that the dumb anime thing of identifying each character by giving them different coloured wigs.

Don't get me wrong, tits and zombies go hand in hand. Just not literally, I want them to be separated please.

That said I love the genre so I'll watch it; production values give it eye candy appeal if nothing else and the main character seems pretty badass if a little thick. Yeah, thick. C'mon he said he'd seen the zombie films; then he must know that barricading themselves in a small closed off environment without food or water is a plan riddled with failure. Still it'll be fun. Dawn of the Dead is to date the best zombie flick I've seen so maybe this one will go one up on it; although it already kind of loses that war because the zombies are the slow creepy punching bags type rather than the badass kenyan-cross-jamaican speed running undead creatures of awesome kind.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 2:11 am Reply with quote
Skylark wrote:
Don't get me wrong, tits and zombies go hand in hand. Just not literally, I want them to be separated please.

Yeah the problem with haveing both too close to each other is to risk it become guro, and I realy am not a fan of guro. Though should I feel bad that I actually know what guro is, anyway it is one of the sicker fetishes.
RHachicho

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 5:42 am Reply with quote
... I looked up guro ...

I mean I've been around but URGH!

I need BrainBleach.
TatsuGero23

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 8:22 am Reply with quote
Gah, lets not start mixing the guro mindset into this (although I'm sure fans are super "excited" with this series). Don't forget that sex and zombies is pretty much hand and hand with like sex and slasher flicks. At least the older stuff is. Either it be raunchy, funny, or an extension of the degradation of society; horror/monster/slasher and sex/nudity often keep one another company. So don't let the otaku mindset overtake you too much with something that's normally done in the genre in the first place. Just a bit more fanservice cause it is anime mind you; but don't need to confuse yourself with the guro mindset. But if your into that stuff then be my guest.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 25