• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Video Game Groups Ask U.S. VP Biden to Not Censor Games

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:39 pm Reply with quote
Nocturne123 wrote:
Maybe they should try fixing the uncaring attitude of people in the country. People just generally don't care for others unless they somehow get some type of benefit from doing so.

I'd say that's the main problem. How to do so, I have absolutely no idea, nor do I think it will ever happen.

If only that were really true. But the actual case it that people are only too happy to "care" when they don't have to invest anything in it -- as long as they feel they can get something out of it and not lose anything in return. *That* attitude is why all these ridiculous laws and policies spring up.

I'd be *way* happier living in a society where people would leave me alone and not try to dictate so many aspects of my life. It's so pervasive now that it's like polluted air that we've ceased to notice.

But I know you mean *genuine* caring: yes, it would be nice to see more of that. But people now expect some agency, some service, some other entity to care in their place -- isn't that why they pay taxes, fees, and the like? Let the Police handle it. Or Social Health Services, or some non-profit? But yeah, people remembering that other people aren't all that different than themselves (most of the time) would sure be nice.
victor viper

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:44 pm Reply with quote
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:

If only that were really true. But the actual case it that people are only too happy to "care" when they don't have to invest anything in it -- as long as they feel they can get something out of it and not lose anything in return. *That* attitude is why all these ridiculous laws and policies spring up.

Indeed. It's very easy to feel good by doing something at the low, low cost of stripping away a right that you don't personally value from millions of other people. A few years back, we had a referendum where I lived, where if passed, the sales tax would increase to fund various infrastructure projects. Luckily, there was an exit poller at the polling place and I was lucky enough to be part of a simple random sample that day.

Exit poller: How did you vote on the tax increase referendum?
Me: I voted no.
Poller: Is there any particular reason?
Me: Well, I might be willing to pay more in sales tax for the projects that would get funded, but I don't think those projects are so vital that I'm willing to increase everyone's sales taxes.
Poller: *Blank stare*

Obviously, that person could not comprehend the difference (like many of the gun-prohibitionists!) between "I support A for myself" and "Everyone should support A". And that's the problem.
mdo7

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:33 am Reply with quote
Oh boy and to add the hypocrisy and insult, the NRA has released this gaming app involving guns and handling it. First they attack video game and say it caused school violence and Sandy Point and now they release this gaming app. The added insult to this hypocrisy is this app is age rated 4+, oh this makes me... I don't know what to.....:

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Nocturne123

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:31 am Reply with quote
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:
Nocturne123 wrote:
Maybe they should try fixing the uncaring attitude of people in the country. People just generally don't care for others unless they somehow get some type of benefit from doing so.

I'd say that's the main problem. How to do so, I have absolutely no idea, nor do I think it will ever happen.

I'd be *way* happier living in a society where people would leave me alone and not try to dictate so many aspects of my life. It's so pervasive now that it's like polluted air that we've ceased to notice.

But I know you mean *genuine* caring: yes, it would be nice to see more of that. But people now expect some agency, some service, some other entity to care in their place -- isn't that why they pay taxes, fees, and the like? Let the Police handle it. Or Social Health Services, or some non-profit? But yeah, people remembering that other people aren't all that different than themselves (most of the time) would sure be nice.

Yeah I was speaking more in general terms. I feel if there was more of that we wouldn't have the sarcastic, Im hilarious, "ironic" attitude most people seem to have today.

I agree with you, in this current society, I'd much rather just be left alone and not have to deal with people trying to force every aspect of their lives and systems of rules down my throat. It's a sad reality, but a better choice given the conditions.

Ironically, it makes me not really care for our society and people in general. It's an odd mixture of the points I was trying to get across that sort of seem in contradiction with each other.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3