• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Sony Announces PSP Successor, Codenamed NGP

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Romuska
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 6:09 am Reply with quote
I don't know. Oddly enough I think I'm a little more interested in the Playstation Phone.
mewpudding101
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 6:59 am Reply with quote
That's too funny. I just bought my PSP last year. I'm not buying this unless I see AMAZING, KICKASS, PLAY-OR-DIE games (especially RPGs and Visual Novels). Until then, I save!
Temuthril

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:58 am Reply with quote
Mario1234567 wrote:
Not true the DSiXL has the biggest screen of all and the game stretches again research is a good thing.
Nothing is being stretched. XL has the same resolution as the other DS models.
ZODDGUTS

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:07 am Reply with quote
Vid of the conference though it doesn't have the 3rd party game developers part talking about the NGB and showing their presentations, still a good high quality vid:

Vid 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jKsWSzAe5R4

Vid 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0GLG71IouR8

Vid 3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x4AXgpTreEs
John Casey

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:34 am Reply with quote
I'm impressed. As for the flash memory storage card thing they mentioned...don't tell me they'll actually release games in a tangible form like that?

That's pretty unusual...

Also, I'm kind of surprised. I didn't expect so many people in here to act so retarded and console warring again. I expected better from ANN, but I suppose, there will always be a jackass who'll be more than happy to start shit on the FIRST GODAMN POST.

Well, whatever. The magic blue pill does it for old dudes, I guess other things work for other people.
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:16 am Reply with quote
It's posts like these that make me glad I gave up console gaming a decade ago.
Mune

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:12 am Reply with quote
In the end each and every system looses, even PCs over time...

It doesn't matter who "wins."

It matters what system your favorite games will come out on though. I am a handheld hater. I can't stand to be bent over and look at the small screen to play a game. Kills my neck and my eyes. But if the system comes out with something really amazing, I will play it on the handheld.

The problem with the idea of console wars is that instead of just first party developers of games being involved, third party developers are having influencing the market by picking which console to put their title(s) on. Some companies are even making games for multiple consoles and not staying on just one or two, as practiced nearly 10 years ago. The market has changed and is still changing.

As for the statement about games mirroring each other for PS3 and XBox 360, some games are exclusive to one system. Some of them are very unique and cannot be put onto other systems because they were designed to work with a function that only their "native" system can perform the way that they want it to. An example of this is Mirror's Edge for the PS3. You have to balance the controller to walk across beams. Or Resistance: Fall of Man, where you have to shake the controller to get yourself away from being on fire.

Each system is different and should not be compared to the other systems. Their different for a reason and if they were the same, there would be lawsuits.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:14 am Reply with quote
With the product's assorted hardware components in mind, and moreover the power source responsible for their efficient running, I await news of its weight with both interest and apprehension.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Haterater

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:27 am Reply with quote
Dreading the price of what this is going to be. Seems very powerful with many features, and that doesn't come cheap unless they plan to sell at a very big loss. We'll see what they come up with.

Also, need to see how the software is going to be. That seals the deal when I'll get it when prices are just right for me. I just Sony learned from their mistakes with the PSP.
The Count

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:30 am Reply with quote
KabaKabaFruit wrote:
It's posts like these that make me glad I gave up console gaming a decade ago.
These post aren't that bad. Rolling Eyes In fact topics involving anime such as moe or piracy get much worse so have you given up anime?

John Casey wrote:
I'm impressed. As for the flash memory storage card thing they mentioned...don't tell me they'll actually release games in a tangible form like that?
I know you'll miss the sound of the UMD, the sound very similar to someone using a bench grinder in their garage.
DuelLadyS

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 11:07 am Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:
Honestly I don't care which handheld "wins" as I'm sure they'll both do well. They're obviously directly at two different types of game play and people will certainly buy both if they wish. I just take exception at unfounded, bias, and unsupported short comments.

This- the 3DS is pretty clearly targeted at the same casual crowd that's kept the Game Boy/DS line on top of the handheld heap for years. Sony's aiming for a smaller, but just as viable market- the folks who want a high-end console experience on a handheld.

I, for one, know I'll end up with both. Once the games I want are out. (And hopefully, once the 3DS comes out in pink. I don't want to break my series of pink game boys now!)

I'm pretty interested to see more about the NGP here- but I can tell you right now, I'm not crazy about the touch pad on the back. It's often hard enough to hold a handheld that doesn't consider 'finger space'- I can't imagine having to worry about a web browser opening over my game becuase I accidentally pressed too hard on the back. Plus, were willI put my customary crystal stickers? Laughing
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 11:47 am Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:
Also not sure what good six-axis is for game play when you're holding the screen, sounds annoying. I have no clue what the touch pad on the back could be useful for.

I know what the one axis is good for - ever played Locoroco?
The rear touchpad has the benefit that your finger doesn't block the screen - I saw similar technology (although I think it was camera based) demonstrated for use on tablets years ago.

John Casey wrote:

Perhaps there'll be a system for stores to download games onto secure memory cards for those who can't/don't want to download games online?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 11:49 am Reply with quote
The Count wrote:
These post aren't that bad. In fact topics involving anime such as moe or piracy get much worse so have you given up anime?

What does this have to do with my tastes in anime? It's got nothing to do with my tastes in anime.
Shale

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 12:13 pm Reply with quote
On any absolute scale, the PSP did very well for Sony. It made them money, has had a lifespan comparable to the gold standard set by Nintendo handhelds, has a good stream of titles being developed by first and third parties alike, including exclusives - the whole bit. Hell, it's done better than two of the three major consoles.

The only problem is that everything, and I mean everything, looks like crap next to the Nintendo DS. It is the best selling video game system ever made. It makes the Wii's hardware sales look anemic. PS2? Complete piker. PS1? Just as bad. Even the original Game Boy didn't sell like the DS. The Wii won the hardware sales competition by a mile for this generation, and it's still got barely half the DS's base. The PSP has sold well, but "well" still fails to impress next to "record-breakingly awesome." Luckily for Sony, just because you don't place first in the market doesn't mean you're not making money. I suspect they're happy with 70-million-plus systems sold, and those of us who own both systems have a pretty damn good library of games to pick from.

Last edited by Shale on Thu Jan 27, 2011 12:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
malvarez1

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 12:13 pm Reply with quote
I just hope it plays video games, and not just downloads again. That would stink.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7