• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
My Ordinary Life (Nichijou) (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 6:17 pm Reply with quote
I'm coming around. I've always liked lots about the show, but there have been other bits that didn't do much for me. That is seriously one great ED.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 7:41 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
I dunno, refusing a sentient being's totally understandable and reasonable request to look normal and not be embarrassed in public by weird mechanical things jumping out of her seems cruel to me.

I had sort of the same reaction.

What turns out to be even more quirky is that Nano appears to be created for the purpose of raising the Professor -- created by the Professor herself. Nano is not only a toy and a pet that her too-young owner is witlessly cruel to but also a parent figure that can tell her creator what she can buy at the store and whether she can have snacks or not.

Whomever came up with that has a twisty sense of humor.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 7:51 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, and of course that whole issue came back to the fore with Nano going to school. It bugs me, but I guess I'll just have to accept that the makers of this show find the whole, "please take this off my back - no!!" thing ultra-high-larious.

eta: I'm close to the 2/3 mark of episode 15 and I had to come back to this thread - between tears of laughter - and just say that elements of this show are sailing into clear Godlike territory. The whole thing with the female science teacher who wants to kidnap Nano using "Short Circuit-kun" is little else than pure, unadulterated genius.

eta 2: Laughing Christ, I should just finish watching this damn episode or I'm going to constantly adding these etas - spoiler[but the whole button/teacher thing and the girl telling the teacher about the passed out student in science room "Draw in his pupils!"] Laughing Laughing Laughing I can't give this series anything less than masterpiece rating for this one episode alone.
Catseyetiger

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:30 am Reply with quote
There are some parts that make the show. I have never seen a school person fight a deer till i watched this anime. It was one of the better parts. The whole deal with the bug killing rocked latter on and i found that the show grows on you as you watch it.

My reaction when i started watching it was how odd.
NonoAsumy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 11:30 am Reply with quote
Anyone else found it brilliant how the science teacher made coffee using the lab equipment?
I wondered if science teachers really do this - I mean it IS pretty tempting if you think about it.
It added so much to the scene and her character really this was good.

That the EEEEEEH girl bumped in with the jealousy ridden teacher made me laugh from the beginning of the gag on.
Since all of her gags so far were her encounters with Nichijou´s surreal (or should I say hyperrealistic?) characters and now we get to see this encounter from the other perspective with her giving in to the madness.

(The line "You can see the white in his eyes","Draw in his pupils" being obvious gold)

So much inconsistent rambling I will need to make a greater effort to praise Nichijous transcending greatness.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 1:17 am Reply with quote
The ending credits from (I think) Episode 14 on.

Absolutely fantastic. They put more animation and detail in it than most series can claim for the main feature. Anyone else notice?
MrTerrorist

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 12:32 pm Reply with quote
Oh God, i went lol when Mio try to keep her Yaoi doujin a secret by beating up anyone who read it. Laughing
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 1:58 pm Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:
The ending credits from (I think) Episode 14 on.

Absolutely fantastic. They put more animation and detail in it than most series can claim for the main feature. Anyone else notice?

Believe me when I say the following comment is not meant to be sarcastic, but very genuine...

...dude, how could anybody NOT notice the amount of animation and detail in that astounding ED? If they gave out Oscars for EDs, it would win, hands down.

And yes, Mio-chan beating the crap out of everybody was hilarious. Kind of reminded me of the wonderful animation that was used for Magical Witch Punie-Chan's wrestling sequences.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:55 pm Reply with quote
Has anybody run across any scathing hatred of this show? I read the Mistakes of Youth web comic, and the latest one focused on Nichijou. Now, wah, the creator, said nice things about the show in the comic (not so nice about Lucky Star), but the some of the comments left were really strong in hating it. I like to think I'm fairly open minded about people disliking things I love, but this, this just blew my mind that there are people that just absolutely despise Nichijou.

The people in this forum seem to either fall in "It's good sometimes, boring others" or "pretty funny" (I'm in a league of my own, apparently, thinking it's HILARIOUS), but I haven't seen anyone tear into it. I also browse Fandom Post, and they seem to enjoy it more than us...and that's about it. Two of the biggest sites about anime tend to like it or be indifferent towards it, but nobody actually hates it.

I just thought it was interesting and a little surprising that there are people so against this show when the most negative thing I usually see is "It's OK".

EDIT: Here's something I find exciting. If the guys in the comments are right in saying that Madman doesn't do sub-only, there's a pretty good chance Nichijou is licensed here and planned for a dub. AWESOME! Everything else on that list excluding Gosick (which I would be shocked not getting picked up) is licensed here and is going to have dubs. Here's hoping for some Otakon awesomeness!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
batou37

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 10:20 pm Reply with quote
This series never ceases to amaze me with each subsequent episode. I think that episode 16 ranks in my top ten of hardest laughing throughout most of the episode in all of my anime watching days. The frustrated coffee cafe' scene was good, and I loved seeing the size of the cup that she finally got. The whole Mio scene with the matrix moves and catching each page as she came down was hilarious and animated to a degree that was amazing, and when I saw her body slam the goat it was the last straw to holding back tears I was laughing so hard. Gladly my favorite character Sakamoto even had a funny scene where he begins to walk into the room saying, " ahhh I'm hungr...... meow....meow." I find myself laughing more in this now than I do in Gintama, which I never would have figured I'd say as I've always been a huge fan of that.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 10:34 pm Reply with quote
The thing about it is not that they do it, but that they do it so well.

The idea of an episodic series made up of nothing but skits and schticks is nothing new. If you tried to describe Nichijou to someone verbally the most likely reaction you would get is "eh." You just have to watch it to appreciate it. Or not. I think the demented sort of humor at play here isn't for everyone.

Question: Is the professor a rip-off of Becky or an homage?

For me Nichijou serves a special purpose. I have been super-busy at work recently (in a good way -- mostly) and after being gobsmaked at the office for 10 to 12 hours straight I am really in no condition when I get home to tackle anything that requires intellectual effort or, for that matter, an attention span of more than about 120 seconds. Yet I can't just fall asleep. Nichijou is perfect wind-down entertainment at that time. I hope it goes on for a 100 episodes or more.
richter3456

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:01 am Reply with quote
Good thing I left Nichijou Episode 16 for last. I was feeling all gloomy after watching AnoHana, but when I went through episode 16, I literally laughed out loud. The professor and Sakamoto are hilarious.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 7:00 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Question: Is the professor a rip-off of Becky or an homage?

Neither. Hakase (professor) is a kid genius like Becky, Negi, Ami (a little older at 14), and Near. Kid geniuses are nothing new in anime, so just because she is one doesn't mean she's necessarily a homage/rip-off. You wouldn't call Mahoro a rip-off of Multi even though they're both maid robots, or Shana a rip-off of Akane even though they're both tsundere, would you? Kid genius is another archetype just like tsundere or quiet meganekko, it's just a less used one because kid characters are usually relegated to annoying siblings or sympathy props.

Besides, Hakase is very different from Becky, who would probably be considered a Negi rip-off. Sure, they're both young geniuses, but what else do they have in common? They have white lab coats? Really?

There characters are different. Becky is a ten year old super genius that pretends to be much more mature than she is to hold power over her class (something Hakase doesn't have). Hakase is a, like, 5 year old Professor that acts like a 5 year old. She never tries to act older than she is. She whines about snacks, colors all day, and does the most childish mods to her robot (sweets dispenser anyone?).

Also, Becky is much more vulgar than Hakase, who is rather sweet, though extremely immature (like a 5 year old).

I would give some slack on a Becky to Negi rip-off/homage question, because the similarities are extreme. However, Hakase is a different character in different circumstances and she shouldn't be in the conversation. I get initial thinkings of her being like Becky, but after 16 episodes, no one should still be thinking like that because the differences are crystal clear. When the middle of your Venn diagram only has "Young super genius" and "White lab coat", then you're stretching it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
wah000

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:01 am Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:
(not so nice about Lucky Star)

Just for the record, I personally like Lucky Star.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:34 am Reply with quote
Hey, anybody else notice the similarity between Becky and the Professor?

(hee-hee-hee)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4